• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS6 conflict with Wacom tablets

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Our studio has just upgraded to CS6 and my colleague and I are experiencing selection problems in AI with our Wacom tablets. I'm using an Intuos 3 and she is using an Intuos 5, we both updated our tablet drivers this morning to try and fix the problem but no joy.

Basically what happens is a 'lag' when releasing the pen from the tablet to what happens on-screen. I select items in Illustrator by dragging a marquee around them with my Wacom pen and releasing, leaving the items selected. However when I do this in CS6, there is a noticeable delay between my release of the pen and the release of the marquee on screen, which leads to mass frustration when it ends up selecting the wrong things, or additional items. It's almost as if the pen is 'sticking' to the screen when I do this (if that makes sense). It's highly annoying!

My colleague has a similar issue with the magnifying tool in that she selects it, clicks and drags to zoom and then when she releases the pen the tool keeps working until about half a second after the release from the tablet.

We are both running powerful HP Workstations with 6GB RAM (Windows 7 64Bit), and CS5 worked like a dream so I know it isn't a tablet or RAM issue.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? As I said we have updated our tablet drivers and are running the latest CS6 update, so we're stumped.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience general performance issues with CS6 and Wacom, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New problem - single-clicking (tapping) the pen results in more 'sticking', so when I deselect by single-tapping the tablet it starts to try and draw a new selection marquee. Sometimes after deselection it also defaults to the Path tool!

Our IT department is looking into it and has said that lots of people on the Wacom forums are complaining about CS6 conflicts, making me think this is more of a Wacom than an Adobe problem. Can anyone from Adobe confirm this please? I suppose it if is the case we will have to wait for a new tablet driver update from Wacom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom drivers have been pretty bad the last couple versions in my experience.

Driver 6.3.4-3 results in multiple (unwanted) clicks here. And at times, sticky-clicks.

Driver 6.3.5-3 results in a lag before click-dragging is seen causing the missing of targeted objects. Or at times sticky-clicks.

In my experience the issues are not related to only Illustrator and occur across the Mac OS in many applications.

The only solution I've found is to down-grade drivers to version 6.3.3-3

I've reported a few bugs to Wacom. Not sure what they are up to, but in decades of use, it's only the last two driver versions that have had obvious issues here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, Scott. We're on PC here so perhaps it's the problem for us too. Will try downgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with this as well on a Windows 8 machine - hadn't noticed it before updgrading to Creative Cloud.

Anyone else have an fixes for this? I've tried multiple drivers and it doesn't seem to help.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in because this is making me crazy and I hope a good solution is delivered soon.

I just upgraded from CS 5 where this wasn't an issue, to CC. The way it works for me is that a click will 'stick' while I'm hovering the pen AND moving the pointer. It will release the click if pull the pen far enough away or hold it still. I find it happens with the selection tools and the zoom tool but not when I'm using the pen.

Wacom intous 1

Driver 6.1.2-5

Windows 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note; Wacom relased a new driver over the past few days. Version 6.3w3. This version seems to have cured MANY of the bugs I was finding in previous drivers.

Lindorfer, you may need to contact Wacom. According to thier web site, Windows 8 is not supported for the Intuos 1 tablets. It may be time to upgrade hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the "sticking" problem as well in Illustrator CC, any luck with a solution?

thanks

Wacom intous 5 Touch

Driver 6.3.4-3

Windows 7 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raysubk,

Update your driver to something newer than 6.3.4-3. That driver has the sticking issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Dice

I upgraded to 6.3.6-3 and it's acting the exact same way. have to pull my pen a good 3 inches away from the pad for illustator to let go. Seems like a pretty significant bug to me. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall Right-Zoom or any other cursor altering software you have in stalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

No Right-Zoom or any other cursor altering software has been installed on this workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if the issue doesn't happen with a mouse, then I'd say you may have a faulty stylus or tablet. Do your other workstations also have tablets? Try the stylus on another workstation. Or try the stylus from some other station on the problem one.

I just replaced an Art Pen stylus last week due to odd behavior. New stylus shows no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be the tip? I'm the only graphics guy here so can't test it out on other stations. Illustrator is the only application it sticks it. Works just fine in photoshop, after effects, and cinema 4d. So wierd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure you don't have any third party software installed? Right Zoom, Better Touch, something which alters input devices?

That's the only reason I'm aware of that causes the behavior you describe in only Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same behaviour since Illustrator CS6 with Intuos 4 and now my Intuos 5.

Tried different pens and drivers to no avail. 😞

Windows 7 x64

Wacom driver 6.3.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have found a fix on my end that works. I was creating new documents at HDV1080 presets templates when I was getting my sticky selection. As soon as i hid the video rulers in my document the wacom started acting normal again. I realize this probably won't work for everyone but it worked for me. I guess start hiding and showing everything you can to see if the issue gets resolved that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm what raysubk says. Hide the video rulers and it works fine. Weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, very much what this youtube video shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtOEeJ2tGhQ -  a sticking when selecting and a general lag.

CS4 still works fine, no lag or sticky issues to it has to be something between CC and the Intuos 5 touch (Windows 7 Ultimate, wacom 6.3.1w3)

the video ruler fix doesn't help me at all it seems.

illustrator CC is driving me nuts so i'm forced to use the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC comes in two flavours 64 bit and 32 bit on windows. Which one are you using?

I hope you have this latest Wacom driver: http://www.wacom.asia/en/windows-driver-637-6-xp-vista-win-7-and-win-8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, latest wacom drivers, win 7 is in 64bit and so is the CC. still getting the sticky/laggy select tool, zoom tool, or any other drag-based tool. damned frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any fix to this ye? both my Walcom and Veikk tablets are sticking .. Both in Adobe illustrator and Affinity Designer .. works just fine in Photoshop and other software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hidding rulers (regular rulers, not video rulers) worked for me – how weird is that? Thanks for posting this... "solution".

Incompetent Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiding rulers, restarting wacom drivers etc. don't work for me. Illustrator is the ONLY application that has this kind of behaviour with the wacom - no other Adobe applications, no other vector illustration (e.g. CorelDraw, 3DS MAX 2D shapes). Illustrator is definitely the shonky member of the Adobe family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines