• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text skipping from right to left column

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2013 Sep 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem where sometimes if I'm working on a document with two columns on the same page, if the left column is not filled to the bottom, text from the bottom of the right column skips to the left. Has anyone else had this problem?

The page may look correct in Framemaker, but on export to Postscript, it happens, and sometimes it can be incredibly hard to notice before sending the file to the client.

Hope someone can shed some light on this

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carstens,

Yes. I also have this problem from time to time.

I noticed this with FrameMaker 10 and now also with FrameMaker 11. Extremely annoying.

How can you rely on that the text is where it is supposed to be with such a bug.

MIF washing fixes this issue. However, not for long ...

Or deactivate the setting „Balance Columns“ in your main text frame.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

What do you do in MIF to prevent it from happening? Does it come back if you do changes in FrameMaker?

Deactivating Balance Columns, does that fix the problem permanently? I think that's what we need to do then

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIF washing just moves the text back into the second column. This is not a permanent fix.

I do not know when the text from the end of the second column jumps to the end of the first column again (updating the book, editing the file ...).

As far as I remember deactivating Balance Columns fixes this issue permanently.

Please test it and report here, whether that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The page may look correct in Framemaker, but on export to Postscript, ...

What platform & FM version?

I'm going to guess Windows.

What printer driver is configured during edit?

What printer driver is configured at Print-to-Ps?

If the "printer" changse, text flow layout can easily change.

Also if font download options change, my guess is there's some risk of flow layout changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know about Carstens' setup. I have Windowns 7, 32 bit, FrameMaker 11.0.2.384 (although I experienced this also with FrameMaker 10).

I have Sundorne's SetPrint utility installed to set the Adobe PDF printer as the default printer.

The problem might not be explained clearly. However, as I noticed it as well, I know what happens.

Main text frame with two-column-layout. Balance Columns is activated.

Then it happens again and again that some lines from the end of the second column are moved to the end of the first column. This is clearly a bug. There aren't any font or printer changes involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll heroically reveal a mistake I made that's in this area … I was moving a document from a one-column + sidehead layout to a two-column, and couldn't work out why the body text was neatly spread between both columns instead of flowing to fill first the left and then the right. I tracked down "Balance columns" and turned it off without achieving anything: then noticed I had some headings (defined for the original layout) set to "across all columns and sideheads". D'oh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... lines from the end of the second column ...

I missed that bit in the basenote. That's indeed not a "normal" font-metrics-jitter reflow.

> "across all columns and sideheads"

Text from the flow at the end of the second column that is tagged as AAC&SH or just ACC will do this (that's the expected behavior). If the text is a smal sentence that is not more than one column in width, the ACC nature of it won't be obvious.

So if tailing text from col2 is sliding back to col1,
Paragraph Designer > Pagination > Format
needs to be inspected to see if an ACC option has gotten turned on. I would also check
Basic > Indents,
because that also can cause bizarre layout behavior, esp. for indents that exceed column width.

Once those are ruled out, I'd concur that this is a bug. I've never seen it in FM7x, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case (and probably also in Carsten's) the paragraphs involved are set to run "In Column".

Not "Side Head-Alignment". Not "Across All Columns". Not "Across All Columns and Side Heads".

Also no indents.

Niels' issue is a different one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, it's not an issue with Acros All Columns. The problem is that while working on the text, it looks like it should, with the correct text in the correct column, but on output it sometimes happens that one or two lines from the right column is moved to the left column (never the other way around).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Windows 7 running on a VMWare on an iMac with FrameMaker 11.0.2.384.

Sorry about the poor description, but Winfried is right, it is not the regular re-flow problem that would happen with different printer drivers and fonts. It's a very strange and annoying bug because it can be incredibly hard for anyone, and especially the designer to catch.

Hopefully the balanced columns trick will work, but I can't test it properly right now. I'll let you know if it works though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines