• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom tablet not servicing whole screen (Win 7)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making the move to Windows 7 a few months ago everything went fine regarding my tablet. Then a month later the driver died, i installed a newer version of the tablet for W7 and since then ive been having nightmares regarding the touch functionality of the tablet.

As of a week or two ago, the pen functionality has started dieing too. Im almost certain that what ever problems im having is not related to the tablet itself but my machine.

When photoshop is not the active window, my pen can control the cursor to any position on the screen, however once photoshop is the active window, i can only control the upper left corner of the monitor. Ive tested it on a few apps and the same is happening on Fireworks, After Effects.

http://iaza.com/work/100421C/186136.jpg << shows the area in which i can move to

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

I have the latest patch for Photoshop CS4 (11.0.1)

Have the latest patch for my tablet (5.2.1-6) - Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch

Is there some settings in photoshop that changes where the tablet controls and such or?

Thanks, (i hope this is in the right place )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

I just talked to Wacom Tech support.

Using an Intuos 4, and Windows 7, I was having some problems with CS5.

He told me that the drivers weren't completely installed.

Here's what he told me to do.

1. Open the Start Menu
  2. Open the Control Panel
  3. If in category view, click Hardware and Sound
  4. Under "Devices and Printers", click Device Manager
  5. After opening the Device Manager, go down to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" and click the drop-down arrow
  6. If you see two "HID-Compliant Mouse" categories, click on both o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would actually recommend contacting Wacom forums or Wacom customer service with this problem as it does not sound like Photoshop is affecting this in any way. Good luck! I would be a wreck if my wacom stopped working....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated the video card drivers?

Also sometimes when the mouse is too close to the pen it does strange things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics driver is all up to date, and im not sure what you mean by the mouse making stuff go crazy but im pretty sure thats not it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be a Wacom Control Panel. Under "Mapping" you can control the area of the screen covered by the tablet. I suggest that this setting has been altered.  

I am not used to how this is set up on the PC, but Im assuming its most probably much the same as the Mac Wacom System Preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apr 21, 2010
Re: Wacom tablet not servicing whole screen

The  graphics driver is all up to date, and im not sure what you mean by the  mouse making stuff go crazy but im pretty sure thats not it

I also don't understand that "mouse marking stoff go crazy"  %-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hooked it up to a second PC i have and it worked flawlessly, meaning its must be my actual computer thats playing up.

I looked around for a wacom forum, found nothing for my local wacom site (AU) and only found a forum for sharing artwork and such on the US site

I did however find out that by going through the registry i can alter settings for the tablet more extremely but i haven't figured out what i could change to fix it.

& when the tablet is only controling 1/4 the screen, its only when photoshop is the active window, so its fine again when i have another window active

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantless: Just because the tablet works on another computer doesn't mean it isn't a problem with the drivers on the original computer.

There are two options here, go to 'Mapping' under the 'Wacom Tablet Properties' in control panel and reset it to see if it releases the pen from the limited space you have now.

If this is still a problem, download the latest drivers from WACOM, uninstall the current drivers, reboot the computer and then install the new drivers to see if this corrects the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am awre that it could possibly be the driver thats playing up.

However i have uninstalled, rebooted, installed the latest driver numerous times and nothing is changing

With the mapping, i have reset the settings for it, but the same is still happening Perhaps i havent explained properly.. its currently working perfectly fine. but if i were to launch photoshop right now, and have it has the active window, im limited to were i can move the cursor to, simply making another window active will change this back to being perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reset the PS prefs? Could be a screwup there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if by that you mean

C:\Users\uesr\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp

then yes

.. I'm assuming theres only 1 preference file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very strange, any of the above suggestions should have fixed the problem by now.

The only thing left are the Windows tablet settings, but that doesn't seem likely as this only affects PS.

I'm out of ideas, sorry I couldn't resolve this for you.

I have used WACOM support and they are very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just something that hasn't been mentioned yet. In the Wacom tablet properties, have you tried selecting Photoshop as an application to see if that has anything to do with the workings of the tablet? I have no idea if it will or not.

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not quite sure what you mean there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2010 Apr 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!  My Tablet worked fine for a day, NOW anytime I open Photoshop or Illustrator it only works on the upper left hand corner of the screen.  No answer anywhere on the web... several other people having the same problem.  Every one just keeps saying install new drivers, install new drivers... we've all done that and it doesn't solve the problem.

Only in our Adobe programs does the tablet not function accurately.

Anyone have an idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, I had this very same problem with my Bamboo Tablet...thankfully I resolved it here is how I did it:

- Installed latest Wacom driver

- Opened Pen Tablet Properties

- Selected Pen Mode - Details

- Changed 'Screen Area' from 'All Screens' to 'Monitor' and left the number as '1'

That was it, after I did this the pen worked properly in Photoshop! I hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I`ve the same problem too

I had contacted the wacom support:

Go to Start menu -> Pen tablet and run the tablet preference utility  to remove the settings, which resets and restarts the driver. If the  problem remains, go to the Windows control panel 'programs and  features', select the 'features' list and uninstall the 'optional  pen/tabletpc components', then restart Windows and test it. If you need  the Windows pen inking features, install the optional components again.  Usually this corrects the problem.

If I have photoshop already open and reset the wacom-preferenceutility the pen works well on the whole screen (till I start another adobe program), but without pressure-levels..

The last reply of Wacom:

Try to start PS while pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift to reset the program to  its defautls as well. If it still does not work, I suggest check with  Adobe for known problems.

I dont know what to do!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cannot control the tablet mapping to the displays.

Reseting Photoshop's preferences won't make any difference.

You need to be looking in the Wacom settings (or the Ink settings if you accidentally turned that on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. This fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

06/22/2010

I have just spoken to Wacom Tech Support and have received a resolution for this problem (I have an Intuos 4, small) for both CS5 and Lightroom 3, under Windows 7.

Problem description: the tablet would only function in  the top left area of the full screen when running Photoshop and in Lightroom only a portion of the image window, plus the pointer jumped all over the place on menu items.

1. Wacom does not have anything posted in their knowledge base nor is there a resolution posted on the Wacom Community Forum.

2. Wacom Tech Support recognized the issue immediately and walked me through manually updating the driver (even though I had installed the latest driver once again this morning).  The TS said their driver does not always install correctly under Windows and they find it necessary to manually update.

3. The TS indicated that they would not post this as a known issue and therefore would not post a solution in their Knowledge Base because each computer was unique and required their direction. You must call Wacom Tech Support (800-922-6613) to individually receive directions (be at your computer when you make the call).

I think they won't post because of the uninformed viewpoint that some companies retain, that problems make their product look bad - Wacom should consider how happy their customers would be if they could readily find a known issue and its resolution - how many frustrated Wacom users have experienced this problem?  Probably close to the number of units sold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I had this problem too and rung Wacom tech support, who fixed the problem - this may not work for everyone, but it sure worked for me. I'm running a Windows 7 64-bit system with CS3 with an Intuous 2 tablet.

From memory, these are the steps I took:

First, remove all user preferences in the Tablet Preference File Utility.

Then, in the control panel, uninstall the Wacom tablet driver, and any other programs related to the pen tablet (I had a few plug ins).

Restart the computer.

In the start menu search bar, search "wacom*.*" and delete any files that come up (unless you can tell they have nothing to do with the tablet).

Search "tablet*.*" and do the same (when I searched just "tablet" a few things came up in the control panel, but the tech told me to ignore that)

Search "wintab*.*" and do the same.

Go to control panel and check that there are no more wacom thingies in there.

Empty the recycle bin.

Restart the computer and unplug the tablet.

When you're up again, plug in the tablet (try another usb port if you can) and download the latest driver from the Wacom website.

Restart the computer once more.

Now, open Photoshop or whatever program and hopefully your mapping should be fine - mine was!

Good luck, I hope this works for anyone who had a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've had that problem for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2010 Dec 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I had the same problem, and the post above worked for me with the following reservations.  If you are using Win7 64 bit Pro you may run into permission problems when the search on 'wacom' returns a bunch (5 in my case) of results.  Win7 makes it awfully hard to remove .sys files.  Out of the 5 listed you will have to go to each individual location (r click, go to folder) to see if you can delete from the actual folder (Win will not allow you to delete anything from the search results listed).  IF you get a prompt about not being a trusted installer, don't try to delete.

One of the files will delete easily from the containing folder, the others won't.  That's the one you want to delete - I know that sounds dumb!  Reinstall the driver - it's Pen Tablet_5.2.4-5 for a CTE-630BT Graphire wireless, start the discover process in Bluetooth and it will link up and install the driver.  BTW if you have a bluetooth divice left over from a previous driver install/BT connection, delete it and start the discover process again.

I am using design standard CS5, Lightroom 3.  Good luck, this crap drives me crazy.  It's not like I don't shell out a wagonload of money for good software and good hardware.  Why isn't it easy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of the above and it still didn't work for me. So I uninstalled everything, cleaned out the reg, unplugged the tablet and restarted. Then I installed the drivers with no tablet attacted and then restarted again. Upon restart I plugged in my Bamboo Fun and BAM! It finally worked.

Windows 7 64bit

Adobe CS4 and LR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased the Intuos4 medium tablet and I am having a simlar problem  The cursor will not cover the entire screen.  It stops short of the bottom only when using Photoshop.  The tablet works fine with Dreamweaver.  I was NOT able to solve the problem by opening Wacom Tablet Properties, selecting Grip Pen, All applications and Mapping. I then clicked Default which set the Service Area to Full and the Tablet Area to Full.  Force Proportions is not checked.   Cursor is still stopping short of the bottom of the screen. I am running the most up-to-date Windows drivers for the Intuos 4. Downloaded them yesterday from Wacom download.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Photoshop CS5

Intuos 4 Medium

HP HD HDX Premium Series

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines