In Muse I have text that reads "+£1.80 postage" but the browser displays "+Â£1.80 postage". Why the Â? I'm also getting "GiclÃ©e" instead of "Giclée". What's going on?
Are you using the FTP functionality built into Muse or using your own FTP client? If the latter, there's a good chance that your FTP client is mangling the characters correctly encoded by Muse.
This site was originally designed using iWeb, for that I used Cyberduck to upload to the server. I've since rebuilt the site using Muse. I copied the log in details from Cyberduck to the Muse FTP and got this error:
So I went back to Cyberduck to upload the new Muse version of the website, which I had exported to a folder. So it does seem that Cyberduck is the culprit. But why does this happen?
I don't know much about Cyberduck; maybe there is a specific setting that's causing the mangling.
I'd still recommend using the built-in FTP functionality if you can. Did you enter "/public_html" as your Host Directory?
Please try removing the slash, i.e., just "public_html" and let me know if that works.
I've uploaded the site to my own server into a specially named folder using the Muse ftp. When I navigate to the site within that folder - http://www.stevejolliffe.co.uk/GTTEST/index.html everything works - no symbols - just apostrophes as they should be.
I also uploaded it to the client's server using the Muse ftp - the symbols are back! Is it the client's server?
It sounds like your client's FTP server expects a different FTP mode setting (e.g., ASCII or Binary) than your own.
Could I ask you to try FileZilla (https://filezilla-project.org/) to upload to your client's server, and let me know if that works?
Ok will do. But I really do not want to have to be bothered with a 3rd party upload procedure like Filezilla or Cyberduck. I must have at least 10 websites designed and published with Mues's own ftp - without any problems. As a designer - not a "coder", I just wan to 'click and go'!
Ok so the problem persists even when using Filezilla.
However it seems as though copying and pasting text from Word into Muse is causing the problem.
The text in blue below was copied and pasted from Word. The text in red was copied also but then the apostrophes were re-typed within Adobe Muse:
As you see, the red text is fine but the blue, copied and pasted from Word still has the problem.
So, is this a problem with Muse, or with the client's server? As you saw in http://www.stevejolliffe.co.uk/GTTEST/index.html - on my server, the original text, copied and pasted from Word - not edited at all within Muse, works fine.
I've solved the problem of the apostrophes by combing through and re-typing them all within Muse, (no 'find and replace facility!!!???), whereas previously all the text had been copied and pasted from a word document.
But the problem of the "£" still persists. I even changed the font incase that was causing the problem.
I've re-typed the text with prices WITHIN Adobe Muse but still we get wrong characters displaying just before the £ sign. I substituted the "+" with the word"plus" incase that may have something to do with it:
This is only happening on the client's server:
On my server it is correct:
Here it is in the code, opened up into Text Wrangler:
As you can see, the code is correct.
I'd suggest checking if there are any specific FTP settings recommended by your client's service provider. And/or trying FileZilla.
I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions at this stage; as you observed, the code produced by Muse is correct.
You need to contact the hosting provider. The server is not properly configured to serve up Unicode (UTF-8) encoded HTML files.
The reason re-typing the apostrophes in Muse _appeared_ to work is that what you've typed isn't actually an apostrophe. The key on the keyboard is a straight single quote (aka a foot mark). A typographically correct apostrophe curls toward the left (aka a closing single curly quote).
This is a foot mark: '
This is an apostrophe: ’
At the font size you're using it's very difficult to tell the difference. Word automatically converts a typed foot mark into an apostrophe. Muse does not currently have that behavior, so a typed foot mark (aka straight quote) stays a foot mark.
The straight single quote and the english alphabet are encoded the same in virtual every encoding system (as the 127 characters that are part of ASCII). Curly quotes, accented characters and alike are encoded differently in different encoding systems. When a text file is interpretted using the wrong encoding the result is what you're seeing.
The server your client is using does not appear to be properly configured to serve up Unicode encoded HTML files.