Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

no YouTube Flash sound (exc Chrome), other flash sites ok

Oct 04, 2013 Oct 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except for Chrome which works across the board, I have no sound in YouTube for all other browsers.  Otherwise, no video I tried in YouTube would play sound, but the banner Ad (currently a Gravity trailer) *does* have sound--but nothing else--videos play silently.  Outside of YouTube (cnn, nytimes) flash sound works as expected on all browsers.

Testing sound on 4 elements on five browsers.  The four tests are:

a. the banner ad on YouTube (you have to click the 'click for sound' prompt)

b. a random video on the YouTube home page

c. a video on CNN home page

d. a video on the NYTimes.com Video page

The browsers are:

1. Chrome 30.0.1599.69 m

2. Mozilla Firefox 24.0  (same symptoms on 23.0.1)

3. IE 9.0

4. Safari 5.1.7

5. Opera 12.15

Flash 11.8.800.168 on Windows 7/64-bit; same symptoms after uninstalling/reinstalling Flash.

TESTS:

1.  Chrome - a, b, c, d: sound good all 4 tests

2-5:  (FF, IE,  Safari, Opera):

a.  YT banner ad - sound okay

b.  YT video - no sound for any video you choose

c.  cnn.com video - sound okay

d.  nytimes.com video - sound okay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my.  I came to this forum for just this problem.  I could have posted this verbatim!  I have just this problem.  It just started Oct 03.

I have the same setup, Win7/64, Firefox 24, IE9, same version of Flash.

I have been going crazy since I thought it was something with the PC, but all system sounds work and videos on Vimeo and on other sites that use Flash seem to play audio.  Any embedded YouTube videos or videos on the YouTube site are silent.

I uninstalled the Flash ActiveX and the Flash for Firefox.  Then rebooted and reinstalled everything.  I was able to play ONE YouTube video that played sound, but then when I re-played that video or any other YouTube video, all silent.

So, I uninstalled everything AGAIN and rebooted and reinstalled and it's just silent.  I don't know if YouTube could have done something or what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just windows machines that have the problem.  I am using linux and the same thing is happening across the board.  Opera, firefox are both affected.  I tried windows and both ie and firefox have no sound.  On all browsers the sound icon has a cross next to it.  Otherwise the sound works for all else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone posted about this yesterday.  As noted, when you call up a YouTube video, the volume is muted by default.    For each video, you have to click the speaker icon in the youtube video screen, and move the slider to un-mute  it, as noted  here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5735126#5735126

Seems the fault is entirely YouTube's. 

HTH,

Ortho_Fan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seriously think that is the answer - how novel.  If only I had thought of clicking the speaker icon to get the sound working I would not have had to read your solution.

Oh well.  Looks like waiting for a sensible answer or for whoever to fix it.

EDIT - I tried again doing what I did this morning - that is clicking the speaker icon.  Got it working this time but only by seriously clicking the damn thing.  Its not easy, and a casual user would think that its permantly disabled.  Usually it easy - perhaps too easy to turn the sound on/off.

Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arseole:

No, I realize that this is not the answer.  I actually posted this for the "casual user"--or someone like myself, a non-techie who (initially) was totally flummoxed by this.  I thought it might prevent someone from resetting software, reinstalling, etc. only to find after hours of frustration that it was Youtube that "farked" up.

I know it''s only a clunky work-around until YouTube (Google) realizes/admits  that there's a problem and does something about it.  Based on what they've done about previous glitches they've caused, we might be in for a long wait.

By the way, I found that it's easier to hover the cursor over the speaker until the volume slider appears--not actually click on the speaker icon, itself.  When the volume slider appears, you click on that to move the slider to the right.

OF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ortho_Fan,

Thanks for the workaround, that indeed works.  Funny thing is, I noticed the 'x' and tried playing with it, and not the slider, duhhhh....  (and  did waste time on uninstall/reinstalls), so thanks again.

YouTube no longer has a 'Report a Bug' link, but I used their 'Send Feedback' link to summarize the problem, with a link back to this forum thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2013 Oct 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ortho_Fan - I am a techie and it stumped me!  Your solution worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2013 Oct 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Google has acknowledged that this is a problem on their end (October 4,2013). They are working to correct it. Meanwhile, it's a major pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines