• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

table of contents contain duplicate headings in different levels in printed documentation output

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Robohelp 10, the table of contents contain different books at different levels linked to topic files. When it gets published in printed documentation, the books linked to topic files gets published with two heading levels in the table of contents and as well as in the body content.

Message was edited by Peter Grainge to remove email address

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I have removed your email address for two reasons.

1. The whole idea of the forum is to put answers here so that others can benefit from them.
  2. You should never put your email address on any forum, unless you need enlarged body parts or want to hear from some official dealing with the multi million $£ estate of your long lost uncle.

It sounds like you are getting the book title as well as the topic title and maybe you have the wrong setting for Maintain Heading levels.

See Printed Documentation on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

Is it like I have to manually edit the table of contents for the printed documentation in the chapter layout (Wizard -page 2) to avoid the duplicate headings.. The default table of contents will be used for other help contents only.

Regards,

Nalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is explained in Printed Documentation. In the Print Layout you remove the topic as you know it will get printed because it is linked to the book.

Personally I keep two TOCs. One for OLH and one for Print. I reduce the number of levels in Print. When I print, I trash what is in the layout by using the left facing arrow, then update it using the right facing arrow. That refreshed what is in the print layout.

Do read the page on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I went through your site.

You have provided a lots of information regarding Printed documentation,

Now I have created a new toc for Print and removed the topic links from the books.

Again I have added the topics in the wizard -2 (printed documentation-chapter layout). I can create only two heading levels in layout. Is it possible I could add more than 2 levels.

Thanks,

Nalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The levels are defined by the levels of books in the TOC. Three levels of books and you will get three levels of headings, four levels will give you four heading levels but you will have to go into Advanced properties to increase the level there from the default of three.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Now I have modified the table of contents and updated the books in the chapter layout. My toc contains heading levels till 4.

I use double leftarrow to remove the existing table and manually update chapters with topics in chapter layout (wizard - page 2- content). 

However, Robohelp considers only the levels specified in the chapter layout for publishing the word/pdf document. and publishes all the books in the chapter layout with heading level 1 and topics with heading level 2.

Also the labels which are in heading 2 in each page gets published in the word document (even if the headings [level 2] are not included in toc).

Please help me. I am very much confused.

Nalini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If books are coming in with Heading 1 and Topics start with Heading 2, you have not ticked the option I mentioned before and that is covered on my site.

If you are not seeing any further heading levels in the TOC of the document, then you must have the setting in Advanced set too low, as above.

Try this with one of the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

When you generate the document, are you using a CSS style or mapping to a Word template? (Last page of the wizard)

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried with one of the sample project-employee care..

Untitled.png

The headings of toc and chapter layout look similiar and the table of contents in the generated output has the following

Untitled1.png

The headings which are set to level 2 are getting published in the table of contents which is different from the TOC set in the robohelp. I wanted to avoid the headings 2 set inside the topics to get it published.

Also in my project, the toc contains first level books in which some second level books are created along with topics. so the first level books linked to the topic get published twice in the toc. Could you pls suggest  for this too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Employee Care project by default only has two TOC levels so you needed to adjust that. Set it up as below.

Print1.png

Then go into the Print Layout and click the Advanced Button. Change the setting from 2 to 3.

Next go to this page of the layout. Click 1 and then 2 to update the layout.

Leave the option ticked on this pass.

Print2.png

The TOC will show as below.

International was a Level 1 book so it shows as Level 1.

New and Retiring Employees was a Level 2 book so it shows as Level 2

The first topic below New and Retiring Employees in the TOC above is New Employee Checklist. Because Maintain Headings was selected that forces a Heading 1 which is what you see.

Print3.png

Now if you generate again without Maintain Headings ticked, you will get this.

Print4.png

International is a Level 1 book so it gets Heading 1 applied, New and Retiring Employees is a Level 2 book so it gets Heading 2 applied and Sales Training is a Level 3 bookso it gets Heading 3 applied, they all show correctly.

With this option selected, Heading 1 in a topic is no longer maintained as a Heading 1 in the printed document. As New Employee Checklist is below the Level 2 book the next available Heading level is 3 and that is what shows. By the same logic Sales Staff Training is now down to level 4 so it does not show in the TOC. It will however be in the document. To get that in, you would go into Advanced and set it to 4.

Please clarify your last point with some screenshots.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for the detailed illustration.  I have unchecked "Maintain HTML headings" and now the document appears perfect.

You guided me in the right way to get it published.

I am able to build the printed documentation output

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOC may now be "perfect" but in the online help your topics will all start with Heading 1 and then have Heading 2 and 3 within whereas in the document some of those topics will now start with Heading 2 or even 3 and all the others will get bumped down.

My preferred methods for the Print TOC is to put all the book titles in capitals to distinguish them or to add the word Chapter after the top level book, then use the Maintain Heading Levels setting.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I could use Maintain Heading Levels setting for online help and uncheck the same for Print TOC . Can I use in this way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maintain Heading Levels is not applicable to online help. You will not find it in those layouts. It is Print only.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, sorry for the delayed reply.

If "Maintain Heading Levels" is not selected in the printed output settings, my toc appears with correct heading levels in the printed output. But in the online help, I will be using a different toc, so "Maintain Heading Levels"  will not cause a problem in publish. isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, online help does not have the Maintain Heading Levels option in the layout for online help.

I understand your TOC now looks OK but you need to look at the topics and how their heading styles have changed.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I found my heading styles are not changed while publishing them in online help. They remain the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot tell from the whether or not they should change but I am guessing you mean the content is also what you want and all is well in your world today.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still now I am not facing any change in the heading styles. Thats good as of now .

Later we have plans on publishing the output from repository using command line.

Still we are confused about publishing the robohelp files from the repository..

we dont want to save the files which are regenerated during publish..

Can you please provide your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very different question. Please start a new thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi,

I have opened a new discussion on Robohelp with the below subject

Integrating Robohelp files and folders in repository

I need your help in completing this task

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp