• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layout and ap div in Dreamweaver CC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where is the layout panel and where is the draw ap div button in Dreamweaver cc?

i hope it's hidden but not been taken away

help please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 109 Replies 109
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should NOT under any circumstances, be designing a website with APDivs.

That said, those panels are gone in CC, because they were used for design techniques long abandoned by professional web designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

come on man it's work fine for me and i been useing apdivs since it appear and you can creative web site's with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KaNe_Nod wrote:

come on man it's work fine for me and i been useing apdivs since it appear and you can creative web site's with it

You are one within a select group that can produce a web site using absolute positioning. I used to belong to your group many (about 10) years ago until monitor sizes changed from a standard 800x600.

With the myriad of current screen sizes, it is impossible to use AP's for layouts.

If you want to persist with old technology, you should continue using older versions of DW

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AP DIVS WERE THE BEST ALL YOU HAD TO DO IS MAKE IT RELATIVE ON YOU HEADER AND IT WORKED PERFECT.

I THINK THEY TOOK IT OUT JUST TO MAKE IT HARDER FOR PPL THAT DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT MAKING A SITE.

I HOPE THEY BRING IT BACK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<sarcasm>

I'm with you. I want my 8-track tapes and BetaMax back too...
</sarcasm>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nickgrigoryan,

Oh good grief!!!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IM JUST SAYING @NANCY O THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH IT WAS EASIER TO MAKE A WEBSITE WITH THE AP DIVS ALL YOU HAD TO KNOW IS HOW TO USE IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 It's not polite to SHOUT in forums.  ALL UPPERCASE is the same as shouting.

#2 Easier doesn't make it better.  APDivs are not better. That's not my opinion.  That's a known fact.  http://www.apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IM NOT SHOUTING AT YOU ITS JUST A PREFERENCE OF MINE TO TYPE IN UPPERCASE SO HAVE A NICE DAY BECAUSE I KNOW IF I DONT HAVE SOMTHING NICE TO SAY THEN I SHOULD NOT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL AND RIGHT NOW I DONT HAVEANYTHING TO SAY TO YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not too late to stop shouting, try it and see how rewarding that is.

Insinuations, however subtle, are also frowned upon.

As far as AP's are concerned, I have had my say in a previous post and I do feel for you. I started off with AP's, great tool! It is a pity that it was so hard to use especially when one is code-illiterate.

But all is not lost. Adobe have realised that there is a market for non-coders and came with this brilliant solution.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your post Ben. Others like Nancy just can't seem to get away from smashing people over the head with their opinions, determined to convince everyone that using absolute positioning is just dead wrong. I think Nancy needs to educate herself on website design before making these erroneous statements.

Use absolute positioning if you are comfortable with it, and can execute it properly in your programming. It is definitely not WRONG. It is a different way to achieve an end, one I myself have used with great success.

Nancy - just stop. It doesn't have to be done YOUR way. Your posts make you seem foolish, childish and, ultimately, uneducated.

Brandon Tessier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, if you have read my previous posts, you will have noticed that my position is very clear, I agree 100% with what Nancy has said. She is a very important and helpful resource in this forum and I think that the community should listen to what she has to say.

Many of the problems that wannabees are faced with are related to Absolute Positioning (AP). For example, it is impossible to create a responsive website using AP's. This in a time when handheld devices are rapidly overtaking desktop devices, not to mention the future with the advent of smart TV's.

I often sit back and smile when seeing posts that are related to AP's. It is a bad habit. I have been there and done that. Go right ahead and use AP's, not my problem. You will eventually come to the same conclusion as Nancy and the majority of serious web developers.

Nancy's comments should be seen as advice based on her experience and not as an opinion that she wants to enforce on others.

I hope, one day, you will come to back here to show your appreciation for what Nancy has said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have plenty of sites (I've built several hundred) using layers and more recently absolute divs, and they render fine on iPhone, iPad, Safari, chrome, and IE (not that anyone still uses that).

So now that the marketing geniuses at Adobe have taken away the visual design of Dreamweaver why should I pay them 50 a month.

If you guys think layers and absolute divs are SO BAD, how do i code my sites visually using Dreamweaver?

I want my old version back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stevesko,

Glad to hear that you have built several hundred websites.

To give this ignoramus a peak at how AP divs can be used in a responsive layout, could you please give me a URL to one of those several hundred sites that uses such AP divs?

In return, I will show you my gratitude by proclaiming you my emminent leader.

However, if you decline to offer this insight, I will send the gremlins to each of your several hundred sites to unleash the hidden power of an AP div.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jerseycitycaraccidentattorneys.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jerseycitycaraccidentattorneys.com

Wanna see what that looks like on a mobile phone?

mob.jpg

Not very effective to say the least. And that's what it would look like on a big iPhone.

A fluid grid would make it much more accessible to, say.... someone looking for a lawyer after they got hit by another car. Be a shame if they had to go all the way home and get on their computer before they could see the whole page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip your phone on its side like a normal person and it renders perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site is not done...

Tell me you didn't think to turn your phone on the side, or that didn't fit your theory. Come on.

I will look into fluid grids though, thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And on my iPhone it rendered fine ever in portrait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Nancy's comments, the only AP divs on the home page are those that act as a containers for the Easy Rotator.

Very disappointing, I was hoping to see a site built with AP's.

Sadly, I must greet my future as an uninformed person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my sites use layout tables which I much preferred and they got rid of those too.  Those sites render fine too.

Please let me in on the secret to properly laying out a site in dreamweaver cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your example is not a Responsive Web Design (RWD).  It may function OK in smartphones and tablets that zoom out to accommodate fixed-width sites. But it isn't truly optimized for various devices.  For that you need  CSS Media Queries

Also keep in mind that touch screen users interact with sites quite differently from desktop users.  So responsive layouts must address the mobile user's needs.   RWD involves much more than just % width pages.  

Since you seem to favor a WYSIWYG approach,  you might be happier using Edge Reflow or Adobe Muse -- both of which are available through Creative Cloud and aimed at non-coders.

Responsive Web Design with Photoshop and Reflow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hde9qB6vMf4

Adobe Muse

http://www.adobe.com/products/muse/designing-for-mobile-devices.html

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, I appreciate you being helpful not just critical.

I looked into reflow but it does not appear to be a complete solution, there is no way to add meta tags, or other important elements, and the pages do not open in Dreamweaver to continue fleshing out the site.

I did discover fulid grids, would you say this is the best way to achive RWD inside Dreamweaver?  I did read that the Adobe code was crap, but it may have been fixed in the latest update, any comments.

I really would prefer to construct the sites using RWD but there is so little to show one how.  I really am a SEO expert, and dont build sites every day, and do prefer WYSIWYG to hand coding CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines