• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to add a table within a table and how to do this?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an If/Then table and I want to insert another table containing steps within this larger table.   See attached image.table within a table.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Plan B:

Create the initial table so that it has all the rows and columns needed for the main table and the subtable(s).

Use Straddles to merge the excess rows and columns outside the subtable.

Note: You may not like this answer either.

Plan C:

Do the subtable in a spreadsheet.
Export selection to PDF.

Import as graphic object in a main table cell.

Plan D:

Submit enhancement request to Adobe.

Twiddle thumbs until it is released.

Brush off cobwebs.

Insert table inside table ... how hard could it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert an anchored frame at that point in the table, place a text frame into the anchored frame, and insert a table into the text frame...

Note: I didn't promise you'd like the answer...

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan

co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both your reply and the reply from error 7103 Plan B are correct or my situation -  but I could not mark both as correct.  In my case, the sub-table had to keep growing as I added  steps.  When the sub-table grew to the end of the text box, I had to continually re-size my text box to fit the new rows.  Sometimes the table would disappear until I saved the document.  Once saved the table re-appeared.  Having said this, I prefer the look of the sub-table using your suggestion, therefore, I believe this procedure works best on tables that are a consistent size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plan B:

Create the initial table so that it has all the rows and columns needed for the main table and the subtable(s).

Use Straddles to merge the excess rows and columns outside the subtable.

Note: You may not like this answer either.

Plan C:

Do the subtable in a spreadsheet.
Export selection to PDF.

Import as graphic object in a main table cell.

Plan D:

Submit enhancement request to Adobe.

Twiddle thumbs until it is released.

Brush off cobwebs.

Insert table inside table ... how hard could it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plan B was best for my situation as it was easier to "grow" the sub- table as each step was added.   As mentioned in my reply to Matt, I prefer the look of the sub-table when built inside a text box but Plan B was more functional in my case.   Still with this procedure, I had to continually straddle columns and rows to get the "look" I wanted. 

So, in either case,  Plan D is a must!- submit a request to enhance the table option to allow users to build tables within tables.   Love the humour too!!

Thank-you to both of your for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you decide to follow error7103's plan D, and submit a formal feature enhancement request here: ADOBE WISHFORM, your request might get a little extra traction if you annoy theose folks with the comment that InDesign has had nested table ability for quite awhile, and compliment the FM folks that FM tables have many table features that ID only wishes it had now.<G>

[EDIT] However, perhaps you won't want to keep cell borders between the rows in your final table. in that case, you can enter steps in the large (tall) cells and create steps with auto-numbered or bulleted paragraph formats in the adjacent (right-hand) cells. [/EDIT]

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

ASCWriter wrote:

I have created an If/Then table and I want to insert another table containing steps within this larger table.   See attached image.table within a table.png

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request entered!  Thanks for the tips Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I overlooked suggesting that you can emulate table row ruling with FM's frame below paragraph format property. Search Google for terms like "framemaker frame below above paragraph," and "framemaker frames on reference pages," without quotes for details.

This wold relieve the need to resize the text frame that contains the sub table, and to merge cells for new rows.

You'll still have the limitation that tall rows won't split across frame, column, or page boundaries.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines