Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installed Reader XI, which crashes every time I open a PDF

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 laptop

I've installed Reader XI more times than I care to count. I've done the cleanup uninstall thing. I've restarted before downloading, and restarted before running the install, and afterward, and I've used both Firefox and Chrome to download the installer .exe.  I've turned off my virus checker during the install.  The only thing I haven't done is let the *** thing install McAfee at the same time. And still when I open a PDF that used to open just fine on this machine with Reader X, I get:

Adobe Reader has stopped working.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    AcroRd32.exe

Application Version:    11.0.3.37

Application Timestamp:    518e18e3

Fault Module Name:    AcroRd32.exe

Fault Module Version:    11.0.3.37

Fault Module Timestamp:    518e18e3

Exception Code:    40000015

Exception Offset:    000c6ab0

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    c37e

Additional Information 2:    c37eace044c7ca1363ee7c4cfb11aae7

Additional Information 3:    85bb

Additional Information 4:    85bbf00149e67a2c3f6c3b46162b41ad

Thanks for your help, ]

A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as ElectronicsGuy22.  I am running Reader 10 in Windows 7 stand alone environment.  This started randomly, meaning no Windows updates occurred within the last couple days, no new installs, no changes to the the computer.  It crashes within 30 seconds of opening Reader.  I tried opening an Adobe file, and it crashed, then just opened the app itself with no file attached to it; I've rebooted.  It's still crashing.

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
  Application Name:AcroRd32.exe
  Application Version:10.1.1.33
  Application Timestamp:4e64e4e2
  Fault Module Name:AcroRd32.dll
  Fault Module Version:10.1.1.33
  Fault Module Timestamp:4e64f98b
  Exception Code:c0000005
  Exception Offset:0085b8f5
  OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:1033
  Additional Information 1:0a9e
  Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:0a9e
  Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Take it off the network and it works fine, put it back on the network and it crashes. It's only happening with reader 10/11 on Windows7/8 machines. Windows XP machines are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely same issue on Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent... does anyone know why and what this? Has Adobe comeup with any known bug wiht this version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue went away on it's own.  If it was some issue with some Adobe server; it's disturbing to me that opening a stand-alone producet would be affected by something server.  Better solution?  PDF Lite!  I save like 5 minutes opening documents, way quicker; and I don't have to worry about what Adobe is going to screw up next.  Completely appalled that no Adobe Techies replied in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the PDF Lite recommendation. So happy to be rid of Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today all the sudden I was having the same issue running version 10.1.2 under Windows 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services environment. Reader crashes within 10 seconds of opening it. I updated the version to latest 10.1.7, the problem went away.

Is Adobe forcing us to upgrade? There's no official document around that though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if any of these will cure it, but it's worth a try...

• Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader, then double-click on Eula.exe and accept the license agreement
  • Can you open Adobe Reader by itself?  If so, try disabling Protected Mode [Edit | Preferences | Security (Enhanced)].
  • If you cannot open Reader by itself, try to disable Protected Mode in the registry; download, unzip, then run the attached registry script
  • It could even be a malware issue; see http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off protected mode is what worked, though one has to read the reminder to restart the program.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a genius... I have been fighting this for months.   It wasnt the EULA but Registry patch you offered for downloading.  Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable protection worked for me! Reader XI, Win 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried everything, install repairs, reinstalls, rootkit and malware apps, and finally installed your registry fix and VOILA! Problem gone!! Thank you so much!! Sorry I cannot give an 'answered' action as it was not my question originally, but I want to thank you for the great fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader 10.1.1.33 is also crashing in same way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not; you are using Reader X.  You should update to either 10.1.7 or 11.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, we have started to see this go through our PC fleet, virus scan completed and all ok.

Adobe please advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has resolved itself, just started working.  My guess it was going to Adobe for somthing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the same problem in our company. All of a sudden the problem is gone. Can someone from adobe confirm that this problem was caused by a mistake from adobe? and how we can block this functionality? we don't like phone-home functionality exactly because of these isseus happening!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can disable that functionality either manually (as described in an earlier post in this topic), or by running the registry script that I also posted in this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 - we started seeing the same behavior around 5:30 PM EST and it continued until well into the night last night.  This morning I can't re-create the problem on some of the affected machines.  We'd also like confirmation that there was something going on with an updater, online license check, etc. etc. (whatever) so we can stop troubleshooting on our end.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...I found this in another thread.  Is this guy a legit Adobe guy?  Sorry, new to the forum so I don't know anybody yet. 

Aug 27, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to jodip17

Hi Everyone,

This was a temporary glitch with our servers that has now been resolved. Please re-launch Acrobat/ Reader and let us know if you still face this issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Deepak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this issue is all over the forum.  The consensus is that it was a CERT update and this post from another thread pretty much sums up most of what I have read:

Adobe Reader 10.1.X crashing due to message.zip CERT update

This question is Not Answered.

Aug 26, 2013 7:05 PM

We had a number of customers reporting Adobe Reader 10.1.X crashing 30 seconds after opening a PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

The issue occurs when Adobe phones home to download:

http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

Which look to be CERT updates.

Block this using whatever filtering software or create a dummy DNS zone and the issue goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AarrghPDFs wrote:

Hmmm...I found this in another thread.  Is this guy a legit Adobe guy?  Sorry, new to the forum so I don't know anybody yet.

Anyone with an orange STAFF badge is legitimate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here, most likely same issue.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5629164#5629164

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, instead of blocking acroipm.adobe.com, can you try if the following also fixes (circumvents) the issue: open Adobe Reader | Edit | Preferences | General:

• uncheck 'Show me messages when I launch Reader'
  • check 'Don't show messages while viewing a document'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here... more and more clients get this error...

only on Windows XP clients. Windows 7 works fine

EDIT:

setting those registry settings worked for all Clients with the issue

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\IPM]
"bDontShowMsgWhenViewingDoc"=dword:00000001
"bShowMsgAtLaunch"=dword:00000000

Message was edited by: hrpedv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines