• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a JS Script that could batch fm2mif and mif2fm?

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FrameMaker 10 now and want to use a Script that could save current opened files as mif or fm files (version could be selected).

Like all open mif files to fm10 version or all fm files saving to mif7.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linus,

I'm sure an ExtendScript could do it. You would need to write it, though (or pay someone to). I highly doubt there is one floating around.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linus,

I have a script like this. The cost for the script is $80 and includes the source code. If you are interested, please contact me offlist at rick at frameexpert dot com. Thanks.

Rick

FM2MIF2FM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linus,

I created a script a while ago that uses either the active book or the active document as starting point, and includes optional conversion of any text inset files to the requested FM or MIF version or to text and optionally copying the images to a new subfolder. I used it to create final source copies of my manuals for my customers in the FM version that they are using. The inclusion of text insets and images (from a large pool of images I store locally on my drive) means the customer can re-create the entire book from what I hand them, without any missing components. Just zip the new directory and send it off. I have tested all the capabilties of FM10 and FM11 and all the listed versions should work.

I am still working on an extension of the script that would check for incompatibilities when saving to an older FM format, Adobe just mentions that some features may get lost but does not actually check whether any of these features are included in your materials. I have not finished that part of the script yet, as that is quite a complex job to do, but without it you can get the script - without the source code - for free, if you promise to send me feedback. If you need the source code, we'll have to discuss a fair price for it.

SaveLegacyDocs.gif

So now you already have two options.

Jang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jang

Thank you for reply, I would like to test your script.

But according to your screen capture, I don't find the options save mif files back to fm.

And I don't want the script to be limited in a selection of book file.

Usually we save all fm files (could be only part of the books) to mif format and translate them with Trados, then save the translated mif files back to fm format.

So dealing with all opened documents or files in a specific folder would be appropriate for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jang

Thank you for reply on forum.

I replied on it and would like to try your script.

And for Fm2mif part, I searched all the discussions and extracted the following scripts which could make it.

I don't understand the references of scripting in FrameMaker very well, they look different from InDesign.

MyDoc=app.FirstOpenDoc;

while (MyDoc.ObjectValid() === 1) {

name = MyDoc.Name;

fullName = name.replace(".mif",".fm");

var params = GetSaveDefaultParams()

var returnParamsp =new PropVals()

var i = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FV_SaveAsNameProvided)

params.propVal.ival =Constants.FV_SaveNoAutoBackup

MyDoc.Save(fullName, params, returnParamsp)

MyDoc = MyDoc.NextOpenDocInSession;

}

CloseAll();

,_

>' )

( ( \

''|\

Linus Wang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines