Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying separate master pages for even and odd pages

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have created separate master pages for even and odd pages. Even I am able to apply the master pages for both even and odd pages separately. But, when number of pages increasing in a chapter file, by default, FrameMaker is applying the default master page to the pages that are crossed the range difined in the Master Page Usage dialog box.

For example, When I applied the master pages for even and odd pages separately, the number of pages in a chapter file was 12 and the master pages are applied correctly. When I moved from page 12 to 13, the 13th page has the default master page applied by FrameMaker.

My requirement: is there any option where I can freeze the master pages to even and odd pages even though the number of pages in a chapter file got incremented?

I am facing same issue when I import the Formats to another chapter file. i.e, the default master page is getting applied to the file. Is there any option when I import the formats to another file, automatically it applies the master pages correctly to even, odd and first pages?

Thanks in advance.

Navz.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame uses default pagination until you perform an AMP operation (Apply Master Pages).

Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages*

This assigns MPs (Master Pages) based on the UnstructMasterPageMaps table on Reference Page MasterPageMaps.

That RP and table do not exist by default. The first time you do an AMP, the RP and table are created (a dialog is thrown reporting this).

You can specify custom MPs triggered by specific paragraph formats in the text flow. You can specify separate MPs for Left/Right, for that same trigger paragraph format.

_______

* You can also specify AMP in Update Book dialog, but I don't, as it is unstable in FM7.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I have used concept of Apply Master Pages for "Title" paragaraph format. I mean, when ever I apply "Title" format to the text, automatically FrameMaker applies "First" Master Page, which I have created, and defined this mechanism in Reference Page.

But, how can I associate Left/Right Master Pages to a specific paragraph format? Because, text keeps flowing in the pages irrespective of paragraph format. For example, I may use only "Body" paragraph format for another 10 pages which includes even and odd pages and I want to have separate Master Pages applied for them automatically.

If you don't mind, can you please explain me how to execute above requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, what people want to do is have a title page, then a normal left/right page flow.

So, assuming you have created an MP named "Title", and are using the para fmt "Title" as the trigger, you'd load up your page map table as:

Paragraph Tag Name: Title

Right-Handed Master Page: Title

Left-Handed Master Page: Title

Range Indicator: Single

The AMP operation applies MP Title to the page containing para Title. All other pages have normal L/R flow.

If you want some of the non-title pages to have a different MP than default Left/Right, then you'll need to select a separate trigger paragraph format (which could be any of several forms of hidden text if necessary, but cannot be Flow A table cell content). Do a Control-Return (or Table > Add Rows or Columns) to add a row to the UnstructMasterPageMaps table and enter the details for the additional trigger paras.

In case of conflict, FM appears to use the first match found for any page.

We use this feature for a variety of functions, such as start-of-section pages. It's common to need separate Section.Left and Section.Right MPs where the lead page can be either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

Let me be more detail.

I have following master pages (MP) in my FrameMaker (FM) file:

• First
  • Right
  • Left

In this list of MPs, "Right" is default master page and other two I have created.

First: I have created and set this MP for "Title" paragraph format. When ever I apply "Title" paragraph in FM file, automatically FrameMaker applies "First" MP to that page. I have defined this mechanism in the UnstructMasterPageMaps table in the Reference page. This is working fine.

Right: I have set this MP for even pages using "Master Page Usage" dialog box.

Left: I have created this MP and set for odd pages using "Master Page Usage" dialog box.

When I had done above activities, i.e, creating and setting the MPs, the number of pages in the FM file were 12. When I have started adding content after 12th page, i.e, from 13th page onwards, the default (Right) MP is getting applied.

But I want to continue the setting that I made to the rest of the pages also. How should I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What do you have set in Format | Page Layout | Pagination?

Single Sided or Double Sided?

What is the 1st Page Side?

If Double Sided and the 1st Page Side is set correctly, your left

and right master pages must be assigned automatically.

Your description sounds as if you have set Single Sided.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Your description sounds as if you have set Single Sided.

The only potential problem with that theory is that when you have SS set, you can't even see Master Page "Left" when you navigate to View > Master Pages

This needless hiding by FM also causes all sort of other hassles, because MP "Left" can contain rogue stuff you're trying to fix or remove, like broken Xrefs, Variable instances, otherwise unused formats of all kinds, missing fonts, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Error7103 wrote:

> Your description sounds as if you have set Single Sided.

The only potential problem with that theory is that when you have SS set, you can't even see Master Page "Left" when you navigate to View > Master Pages

This needless hiding by FM also causes all sort of other hassles, because MP "Left" can contain rogue stuff you're trying to fix or remove, like broken Xrefs, Variable instances, otherwise unused formats of all kinds, missing fonts, etc.

This is a good time to post a formal feature enhancement request here: ADOBE WISHFORM, and also to invite the many other users who agree, to post their own requests. The developers do listen, and over time, and with enough requests, features are enhanced or added, and bugs are fixed.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines