• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to save "my" preferences on a corporate PC

Advisor ,
Oct 22, 2013 Oct 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… specifically, how to set Adobe PDF as my default printer. I seem to remember related posts suggesting that on this Windows 7 PC there will be locked-down, Admin only settings and also some I can actually change and save myself. Didn't have this problem earlier, because IT Support at my last shop decided the best way to keep the only FM user out of their hair was to give him Admin rights and deny all responsibility <g>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2013 Oct 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the freebie SetPrint plug in to set the AdobePDF printer instance as your default inside FM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want the free SetPrint utility. It lets you set Adobe PDF as the

default printer for FrameMaker, without changing your default printer

elsewhere in Windows:

http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure the plug-in would help, but as I don't have Admin rights on this PC I can't install it. Other tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Other tips?

Update résumé and get job with sane enterprise?

All seriousness aside, I'm wondering if setting preferences can be scripted in newer FM versions, and if users can create and run scripts without having to deal with Mordac, Preventer of Information Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the “install” process for SetPrint just requires plopping down the dll into the Plugins folder and creating an ini file – you probably have enough rights to do that. Otherwise you’re going to have to get a system admin to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before SetPrint came out, I used a batch file to set Adobe PDF as the

default printer, open FrameMaker, and then reset the printer to its

normal default when FrameMaker closes. Unlike SetPrint, of course, this

sets the default printer to Adobe PDF system-wide, as long as FrameMaker

is open. The file uses cscripts, which are part of the Windows OS to

perform the chores. I think this route would preclude the need for admin

rights, but I'm not sure on that.

To create the batch file:

1. Create a plain text file that includes the following text (between

the double lines below).

2. Edit the text to reflect your FM version path and normal default printer.

3. Save to a file with a .BAT extension, such as LoadFM.bat.

4. Create a shortcut to the batch file for your desktop.

Then run the batch file to load FM instead of your usual shortcut.

The file text is between the lines below:

=======

@echo off

REM Set Adobe PDF as default printer and open FrameMaker.

c:\windows\system32\cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -t -p "Adobe

PDF"

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.1\FrameMaker.exe"

REM Restore HP LaserJet as default printer upon closing FrameMaker.

c:\windows\system32\cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -t -p "HP

LaserJet 2200dt PCL 6"

=======

I can't promise that this will work with newer versions of Windows. I

haven't tried it since way back when. As you can see from the file text,

I used this back in the FM7.1 days, probably on Windows XP. And don't

ask me for support on it. I don't remember where I learned how to do it,

nor am I a scripting guru. But it did work great back when I used it.

Hopefully, it will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go buy lunch (or doughnuts...never underestimate the power of a doughnut) for the person with admin rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... or doughnuts...never underestimate the power of a doughnut ...

At the risk of a thread drift, people are beginning to wonder why that is, actually.

The answer is largely the exorphin opiod in the wheat. See the book "Wheat Belly" (Davis) or the more recent "Grain Brain" (Perlmutter) for the full rap sheet on wheat.

We're entering a period where offering a generic donut to a small but growing fraction of the population is like offering them a cigarette. This would be people on LCHF, keto, paleo and primal diets under various names (or as the Inuit might call it "food").

Standard donuts (including Krispy Kreme) contain almost nothing suitable for human consumption. KK's even contain extra gluten, which amps up the exorphin effect. Plus, being high carb, even without the gluten, they cause a blood sugar spike, insulin spike, crash, and cravings 2 hours later.

Now you could offer a paleo donut like the one I just ate (very low carb, moderate protein, high/balanced O3/O6 fat, 0 wheat, 0 sugar, 0 transfats, 0 soy), which has zero side effects and even supports weight loss. Typical full-time-glycemic eaters love 'em and hardly detect that they are different, but you'd have to make your own, because the recipes to date have very limited shelf life at room temp, and such donuts are consequently not yet available commercially. So called "Gluten Free" donuts are, but they are high carb junk.

But sure, if you're at the mercy of a draconian IT, pamper your contact. In many cases, alas, that's some exploited worker on the other side of the planet whose first language is not yours, and who should really be in bed when you call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, guess Niels should really stick to the lunch option then

-Matt

(Currently enjoying a kale/greens smoothie with antioxidants and raw honey, but who nonetheless enjoyed the heck out of a Voodoo doughnut yesterday at Portland's LavaCon conference!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines