• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign + OS X Mavericks = Slooow?

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating, I don't know what is going on, but I'm experiencing awfully slow performance from InDesign.

I have a MBP Retina 15 Inch 2.3Ghz, 16Gb Ram. Put it this way, I've never, ever experienced that slow feeling on this thing. Never. And suddenly after installing Mavericks, I'm experiencing that slow motion feeling.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

An update for InDesign CC (9.2) is now live and is available via the creative cloud installer. This update resolves several performance problems. In addition, the update includes epub enhancements, Typekit Desktop Font Integration and Hyperlink simplification. Please give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 205 Replies 205
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a similar report in this forum. The fix was to reset/trash Indesign CC preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems for me in InDesign CC and Maverick.

Mark sure you've updated InDesign CC to 9.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was me who reported the fix of resetting/trashing the prefs. The problem is that I have to do so every few hours:((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear that's not good to hear. Well the pref trashing worked but my workspace has gone. Ill report back and let you know my experience too. 

—

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Ciellana <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am starting to wonder if it is every time when Time Machine kicks in that things go downhill with InDesign. It can't just be a coincidence that the slowdown seems to happens when there is a lot of hard drive background activity going on once Time Machine starts up. The problem is that once Time Machine is DONE with the backup, InDesign is STILL slow and doesn't revert back to full speed.

I have to trash/reset the prefs again!

I have now reset/trashed the prefs once more (after another huge slowdown) and have disabled Time Machine (will turn it back on this evening) so that I can test this theory....

There is another thread discussing this HERE. I was not sure where to post my response so posted in both places for now (which I know is NOT recommended to do....sorry )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay...it's not Time Machine Back to a crawwwwwwwl....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I surrender. Going back to CS6 for now. I exported my document and am now working in CS6 and it feels like a DREAM and is UBER FAST!! But I have become so spoiled by the beautiful interface in ID CC I am so sad and am already missing it:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am STILL determined to solve this by hook or by crook! I REALLY want to go back to CC.

A question.... can too many color swatches slow down an InDesign document? Several of the documents I was working in earlier during all of my ID slowdowns had a TON of color swatches!! (Of course this didn't seem to be a problem in CS6 tho'...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I have found that making all of the panels and toolbars invisible by pressing TAB makes a WORLD of difference! It is like night and day. Of course this is not the ideal solution since I consistently work with many of the panels....but at least it's a start!

At this point this has become a one-way conversation with myself so perhaps others are not experiencing these issues? I will still keep reporting back there tho' in case this may be of help to someone:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off only the info panel, also kill the thumbnails in the

pages panel and turn off live preflight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I have turned off live preflight and killed the thumbnails (I'm going to miss those thumbnails:( ).

I didn't have the info panel open.

After a quick test a few moments ago, things seemed to be running faster. So...so far so wonderful and this gives me a glimmer of wonderful hope! I will report back after a proper test on Monday when I get back to work and will let you know. If this is the solution for now, I will be sending you a HUGE HUGE virtual hug to say THANK YOU! I LOVE this forum....has helped me SOO much over the years!

Will keep you posted:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2013 Oct 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ciellana,

We are aware of some of the performance issues and are working on it but nothing specific to Mavericks. Were the files you are working on working fine on 10.8 with ID CC?

If not a problem, could you please provide the file(s) in which you are facing the problem @sharewithID@adobe.com. We can then look into the file and see where the problem is.

Also, could you please try one thing : Go to Preferences-> Interface and set tool tips to None and see if performance improves for you?

Thanks,

Dinkar

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinkar,

I will share the document with you. It is going to be hard to test this issue because when I first start working on the document after trashing the InDesign preferences, everything seems to be working at optimum speed. Then after about an hour, it is very slow again. I have disabled Live Preview, killed the thumbnails in the pages panel, made sure my info panel is not open, and turned off tool tips. The good news is that the ONLY thing that is slow now is typing and selecting/highlighting the text. Before I made these changes EVERYTHING was slow. It would take a few seconds to slect a tool from the tool bar or do anything else. Now everything else seems to be much quicker with the exception of the text issues which are still like sludge. Trashing the preferences fixes it ...but only temporarily. And yes, these files worked much better in OS 10.8. I am very hesitant to reinstall the operating system and install everything from scratch if I am possibly going to experience this issue again because I am overwhelmed with work right now and am lacking the time to do so. Everything was working wonderfully in 10.8. It was not as fast as ID CS6 but I was able to work at a comfortable speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ciellana,

We are aware about the text selection issues and are working on that and this issue is not specific to Mavericks as we could reproduce the slowness in 10.8, 10.7 as well. That is why I mentioned that we are not aware about any Mavericks specific issues so far. But please do share the file with us and we would look into the isssue.

Keep updating the thread with your findings.

Thanks,

Dinkar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2013 Oct 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running 10.9/CC and I can also confirm that InDesign is unacceptably slow. I checked the document settings, program prefs, changed the disaply performance, disabled tooltips, etc., and the entire program lags on just about every action regardless of the file I open. Things ran fine before the update...I don't know how on Earth this isn't realated somehow to Mavericks

My agency pays for CC. Clients pay us to use these tools to hit deadlines. FIX IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JasonMCG, for an immediate fix try restting/trashing your preferences, preferably manually as per THIS POST. This fixes it for me temporarily. Now, for all the other users who also reported success with this method, it doesn't seem as if they have all reported back (altho' some have!) saying things were very slow again after an hour or so (as is the case with myself). I am curious to see if this will fix things permanently for you, or only temporarily. It's at least worth a try:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ciellana, but I've already tried that. It works for an hour or two, but the fix is far from ideal. In the meantime, I've went back to CS5 (since we skipped the CS6 update). I'll wait for a fix...hopefully it comes sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinkar, this is related to Mavericks because I had reached a point where InDesign was running along at a comfortable speed and I was able to work with it in Mountain Lion. The slow speed is with any and ALL files in InDesign CC on Mavericks, so it won't really matter which file I send. Even when I create a new blank document and type in a few characters, it is VERY slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no difference between Mountain Lion and Mavericks with InDesign CC for me.

It must be something particular to your system. The Adobe engineers are working on it as noted above (#28).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, on Mountain Lion it was ONLY issues with the text (scrolling, typing, highlighting, etc.) that were slow. On Mavericks EVERYTHING is slow, not only the text. I reported earlier that it seems that everything else (besides the text) had speeded up, but all of that slowed down dramatically too after an hour or so.

Now, it must be something particular on *several* of our systems and not only mine, since I am not the only one experiencing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't doubt what you're saying. However, try this test:

Create a new user on one of your computers and turn off all applications which start up automatically (font managers, etc.). See if you still have the same results in InDesign CC.

There could be a third-party application which is causing the slowdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve...I did try this a few days ago. I created a new admin user on my mac, logged into the new account, started up InDesign CC and worked away for a while and had the same issues:( I wish I could report back with more positive results:(.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest info from me:

It's only indesign that is slow since mavericks was installed, nothing else

I use extensis for fonts. Anyone else?

I trash my prefe every few hours but interestingly, the newly created pref sits at 200kb for a few hours and then jumps suddenly from what I can tell to 3mb. That's when I trash it and restart. 

The issues are the type tool bug and general incredible sluggishness. Again, I'm on a mBP retina with 16gb ram. I never had this issue with cc until after the update. 

—

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Ciellana <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extensis is recommending that anyone depending on Suitcase Fusion NOT

UPGRADE to Mavericks until they release an update in 3-4 weeks.

http://blog.extensis.com/apple/extensis-compatibility-os-x-mavericks.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines