Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I solve the Mavericks-related issue involving sliders in Lightroom 4?

Oct 29, 2013 5:47 PM

How can I solve the Mavericks-related issue involving sliders in Lightroom 4?

I'm not interested in upgrading from LR4 to LR5, because LR 4 does everything I need.

But since Maverick update, the sliders turned white.

I downloaded the LR 5 trial version and realised that this slider problem is solved in LR5.

But LR 5 (version 5.2) has some issues in exporting to PS CS6. All changes made in LR 5 are not exported do PS 6?

Now I do not have any complete functional LR version.

How will this be solved?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 29, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

With all the conditions you have placed on a solution your only choice is probably to downgrade back to your previous operating system.  I wouldn't count on Adobe to update any previous versions of Lightroom to fix the slider color problem. 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 7:20 PM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Maybe Apple will correct the problem in the next update to OS X Mavericks. I believe its debatable whose's problem it is, the final version of LR4 was issued on June 27th 2013, while OS X 9 was released a few days ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 1:34 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Virgílio Fernandes wrote:

But LR 5 (version 5.2) has some issues in exporting to PS CS6. All changes made in LR 5 are not exported do PS 6?

Not true. If you ensure that you have the latest ACR plug-in for PS/CS6 (currently 8.2) then Lightroom 5.2 and Photoshop will be fully compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

DdeGannes wrote:

I believe its debatable whose's problem it is

Actually, I think it's clear that it's Virgilio's problem: Adobe is under no obligation to update a defunct version of Lr to work with a new version of an OS that Lr 4 clearly wasn't designed to be compatible with; and Apple can't be expected to re-engineer its new OS to support defunct software.

I reckon that if Virgilio wants Mavericks and a working Lightroom, he bites the bullet and upgrades to Lr 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Believe me,at this time I would! If only I had not the compatibily problem between LR 5 and PS CS6.

As I've already said.....if you update PS CS6 to include the (free) ACR 8.2 plug-in, there is NOT any compatibility issue between LR5.2 and PS CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Believe me,at this time I would! If only I had not the compatibily problem between LR 5 and PS CS6.

Yeah, Jim's already explained that this isn't an actual barrier, assuming that you're up to date with ACR.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Sorry, but have all latest versions and still the problem exists. I reinstalled Lightroom 5 and same again.

It must be a compatibility problem with OS X 10.9 (Maverick).

OK, I didn't see this post initially, so can you tell me what the exact problem is? And can you go to Help>About Plug-in>Camera Raw to confirm it's at version 8.2?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

The version of Camera Raw that I have is 8.2.0.94.

Every time I try to import directly an image, that I've been changing in Lightroom 5, to Photoshop CS 6, everything I have done on the image gets lost. Photoshop imports the image as it came out of the camera.

Just to be clear, are you using the "Edit in Photoshop" process from within LR5.2, or are you trying to open the file directly into Photoshop (i.e. not starting from within Lightroom)? And are you using Raw files or Jpegs?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

OK, could you just try this as a test:

Select a colour raw file in Lightroom 5.2, press V to change it to black and white, then do Ctrl+E to launch the file into Photoshop. Does it open as a colour or black and white image in Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Which is what we should expect.....so not "everything you have done on an image" gets lost. You need to repeat that test on a different raw file, but this time add some more obvious Develop adjustments, especially the LR5-specific changes such as a strong radial filter and/or an obvious change using the enhanced spot removal tool.

I guess I'm just trying to establish what, if anything, doesn't transfer over to Photoshop. I believe every edit made in LR5.2 should transfer over to PS CS6 when using the 8.2 ACR plug-in, so I need to understand exactly which edits aren't transferring.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

I can't reproduce that at all, no matter in which order I do the crop. All edits transfer over as expected. So it rather sounds as though something isn't working on your system the way it's supposed to (Mac or PC?). You could try resetting the LR5 preferences file to see if that makes a difference:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14226-Resetting-(or-Tras hing-)-the-Lightroom-Preferences-file

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to Virgílio Fernandes

Interesting! One to note for future reference, thanks for letting us know.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points