Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop showing two different sizes for same font size

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I've been using Photoshop for a long time, but this problem has popped very rarely along the way and some how remedied itself - I'd like to know this time what's causing it, and how to solve it.

I'm in a Photoshop document, and I'm working with two different text areas. Both area registering as 14px in size in the Type menu, and yet, they're radically different in size. One is tiny, whilst the other is at least twice, maybe thrice the size. Why is this happening?

I've checked there's no overlapping text areas and things like that, everything should be fairly normal, it just isn't.

I'm using Adobe Photoshop CS6 v13.1.2 x64 for Mac, running on a Macbook Pro Retina 1.83ghz and 8GB ram

Thanks in advance    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Yes! The problem is the DPI!

One document had 72 DPI, and the other had 22DPI.

This is why the font sizes were so different, even though their appearances the same.

Thank you very much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they the same typeface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have transformed some of the Type Layers at some point and this may have affected the size that’s being displayed as opposed to the »actual« size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well is there any way to make the type layers display the actual size again? Or is it irreversible and it all needs to be done from scratch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, and I'll post process photos for clarification:

Here you can see the font size for this text at 26.14px which is accurate:

adobe-help-screenshot1.jpg

When I highlight the text, it changes the value to 5.86px, even though it clearly isn't that small.

Screen shot 2013-03-19 at 11.04.42 PM.png

This is a serious error since I can't accurately deliver size values to my developer. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help how?  We fellow users can't fix Photoshop bugs.

A workaround would be to stop using Transform to set the size of your text.  Then it will always be accurate.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same font size issue.

It seems to be a CS6 problem, if a PSD was created in an older PS version, thats when you get the two different font sizes.

Selecting the text layer from the Layer pallet should show the true value.

This issue has been going on for over 9 months, still waiting for Adobe to correct this problem 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get Photoshop to correct itself and forget about the Transform change that the type was subjected to.

(Essential clear out the type "memory"?)

This is a big pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is March 17, 2024!     This issue is still not resolved.  I'm using the Subscription of Photoshop.  It seems that Adobe isn't updating it anymore.  The cursor that is so light and small has not changed either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Today is March 17, 2024!     This issue is still not resolved.  I'm using the Subscription of Photoshop.  It seems that Adobe isn't updating it anymore.  The cursor that is so light and small has not changed either.

By @canfran

This does not look like a Photoshop issue. It looks more like a user issue.

Abambo_1-1710698327792.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Both texts look the same, but Photoshop says different font sizes. If I change the font sizes that they have the same size in the photoshop dialogue they look different... I think it came from transformation of one of these text-fields. But it's still wrong - same looking text, complete different sizes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all! If you are using the Perpetual (non-subscription) version of Photoshop, make sure that you run the updater: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/06/photoshop-cs6-13-0-5mac-13-0-1-2win-perpetual-license...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem, July 30th,  PS6-13.1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now clear that Adobe is aware of the problem.

No one outside of Adobe can predict what they'll do, but it seems unlikely they'll fix this bug in Photoshop CS6.  I'm confident it will be fixed in Photoshop CC 14.x, though.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe called this a 'feature', a rubbish one if you ask me.

All has gone back to normal in Photoshop CC.

Shouldn't imagine Adobe will put the man hours in to revert CS6s text editing, not now CC is out.

I would recommend either:

A. Running CS5

B. Upgrading to CC

Peace 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue with CS6.

I believe it happens when you Resize the Text using the Resize (CTRL+T). At least that is how I figured out my CS6 was acting up withy Fonts.

I noticed in CC though this issue hasn't occured, yet.

It plagued me in CS6 since day one and pretty much no one seemed to know a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got Photoshop CC, and I've been having this issue. I am NOT resizing using transform - I'm not even changing the font size at all. Rather, I'm dragging one block of type from file A to file B. Both files have the exact same dimension and resolution, but on file A the font size reads 12pt and on file B, it reads 9pt. Even if I create a NEW text block on file B, and set that type to 12pt size, it' BIGGER than the 12pt text from file A.  It's pretty obvious that Adobe HAS NOT addressed this bug, even in the current (and freshly updated) Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miker,

I can confirm that the bug has been fixed in Photoshop CC (CS6 still has it). In your case just don't forget to check the DPI in the "Image Size" dialog, that might be the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can, in fact confirm, that it has NOT been fixed in PS CC.  It is possible there was a patch that fixed the newest version, but my files all created under PS CC, are reoprting incorrect type sizes.

180 files, THOUSANDS of type layers I have to go into and manually update because I changed the file size and resolution and the type DID NOT up-scale to report the correct size.  This is a BUG NOT A FEATURE.  Never for any reason should this be a feature.  Unless you are trying to torture graphic designers.

When I transform type in these files post size/res conversion... I can see it dynamically updating the type size in real-time, and when I change the size of the file or the resolution it is up-scalling accordingly, but somewhere along the line this was broken and the type is not reporting the right size.  Just like others here I can type out something at 40 point and it will look exactly like something that did not convert correctly that is reporting 20 point.

Is there a blanket fix for this or am I screwed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm this has still NOT BEEN FIXED in Photoshop CC. It's obviously an error that only some people see, for whatever reason, however there are no solutions for it right now. It's a huge pain and has probably added close to an hour to my day, every day, having to size things using a combination of font-size and line-height.

In response to Noel, I understand the workaround but it's not efficient. Design is about flow, and Adobe, you're seriously messin' with my flow now!

FIX THE ISSUE PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! The problem is the DPI!

One document had 72 DPI, and the other had 22DPI.

This is why the font sizes were so different, even though their appearances the same.

Thank you very much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this literally not fixed for Photoshop CC yet? C'mooon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah and I doubt it will from what I read a long time back.

There is a trick to it, but now and then if you resize the font with the resize tool that is what causes a lot of issues, then again it can randomly happen as well. I thought for sure I would see it fixed in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines