Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Error: Program can't start because MSVCP110.dll is missing--etc.

Oct 30, 2013 8:12 PM

Ref. Win-7 64 / CS-6 64

Just got this error "out of the blue" this evening.   I tried reinstalling Photoshop but it didn't fix the problem.

I do a C: Drive backup monthly, and can revert to it, b ut I'd like to know what caused it, and how to prevent it happening again.

Regards,

Leigh

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 30, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

I tried to open Photoshop cs6 today and got the same error message.  I have seen other postings just like yours as of today (Oct 30th).  I am not going to waste my time reinstalling Photoshop as it did not work for you.   My computer showed I had 3 changes made to it today by Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader and NIK plugin.  I hope we find out what is going on!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 9:44 PM   in reply to Wingy47

I, too, had this problem.  Although the error message runs when PS6 is loading, what it seems to mean is that the NIK Plugins won't install because of the missing dll file.  PS6 does load properly notwithstanding the error message, but the NIK plugins are nowhere to be found.  I noted that many NIK files are now dated 10/30/2013 even though I did nothing to update these files today.  So Google (or someone) did something.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 9:54 PM   in reply to Thubner

I encountered this error as well.  In reviewing activity on my computer, a NIK updated was loaded to my machine today WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR INTERVENTION.  I uninstalled that update and reinstalled from the original collection installer received from Google when they bought NIK, and my plug-ins are all working again.  Scary stuff, where did this update come from?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to JoDilbeck

You're right. But what I did was install 2 missing dll files which I downloaded and then the updated NIK plugins loaded properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2013 10:54 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

I sent an email to NIK stating the problem and asking them to fix it.  Has anyone had a chance to see if this NIK update affected Lightroom or Elements?  (I also don't like that this update was made without my knowledge.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

Same problem overhere and I was not missing the dll file wich was where it belonged in the System32 folder of Windows. After viewing this forum message I uninstalled Nik leaving my personal preferences untouched, then installed again from the original downloadfile. Everything is working again the way it should and my personal recipies are still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

As others have noted, it was the NIK update push. They have a new program "Analog Efex Pro" which they pushed out. I sent them an email before coming here. The problem appears to be with Google, not Adobe. For those that uninstalled, and reinstalled the original with it now working, further confirs that it is a Google issue. Undortunately, it may be a short tern solution as the original program will see a newer version and re-download the problem update. Hopefully, Google is catching an earful and blocking update push until they get the issue resolved. Lightroom 5 still works, but the new Analog Effex is not showing (nor is HDREffex which has never shown.)

Also went to Microsoft forums in an attempt to resolve before coming here. MSVCP110.dll is a component file of Microsoft C++. Tried to install the C++ 2010 (64bit) only to be told that I have a newer version on my machine, so I aborted the install. Apparently, that dll file isn't missing, just hidden.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to Tiz

After I install "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3", both X86 and X64 revision, it works fine.

They can be download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

The new NIK Software "Analog Efex Pro" ist the reason.

I went into the File Programme / Adobe / Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64bit) / Plug-Ins / Google

and there i removed the Binder Analog Efex Pro.

This solved my problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

Could be update to IE or NIk.  See this thread. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1325356?tstart=0

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

Hello,

I have just encountered this problem today as well.  As it turns out, it is Google's NIK Collection that is the culprit.  (At least it is for me.)

Google ugraded the collection yesterday.  When you open the software and you have an internet connection, the software will download the upgrade and update the software automatically without your knowledge or consent.

When I discovered this, this morning, I uninstalled Nik and re-installed the original version.  The software worked after that.  While contacting Google NIK team, the software updated itself again and is now not working!!!

I have been informed by that team that I am the only one having this issue.  OBVIOUSLY NOT!!  There is no way to stop the software from updating itself; which means, I now have a useless piece of software on my machine that I cannot use until Google fixes this problem.

I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Curt Y

It was NIK (Google), and on my Windows XP system involved the loss of two dlls (MSCVP110 and MSCVR110) from the Windows/system32 folder. I downloaded both, put them in that folder, and all is well again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to Argus Hsieh

Downloading the C++ update worked for me.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to mfd14534

I found a solution in another forum that just worked for me and hopefully will keep working.   You find your email from Google with the link for downloading Nik Collection and click and download and install it again.  You don't need to remove the Collection first.  I now have the selection tool back and the updated software. 

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=326&to pic_id=1143&mesg_id=1143&page=

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Leigh-a

I encountered the missing MSVCP110.dll file this morning also. I was just working  on CS6 yesterday with no problems. I initially tried a restore back to yesterday morning on my WIN 7 machine . The restore dialogue said that NIk programs would be affected, so obviously it had been changed in the last day, which would corroborate what others are indicating. I did the restore but it did not fix the problem.

I checked the Windows/System32 file and the MSVCP110.dll file was not there. I down loaded the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 as links in this forum will direct you to. This worked! And now the MSVCP110.dll file is now in the system 32 file and CS6 starts and works fine as do the nik filters - for now anyway.

A negative mark for Google in pushing this update automatically and causing these problems.

DLP

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to dlphotog

I experienced the same issue last night all of a sudden.  I use Photoshop Elements.   Just happened upon the fact it was the Nik plug-in by chance.  Re-installed from the original download link and everything was fine; however, problem has returned. 

I also have alerted Nik/Google to this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to kpksera

I just un-installed Nik on my computer and re-installed from the original e-mail from Google last March or so.   The download link is an udpated one and includes the new filter.

So far, I'm good, but we'll see if it lasts.  

I would recommend trying that if you saved the e-mail with the link to the entire collection.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

Just download the MSVCP110 .dll  (Google to find the download site) and place it in the same folder where you have the 100 dll and all will be well. Except I also had to do the same with MSVCR110.dll.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

Why would Google/Nik update their software and add a new plug-in without announcing it first????

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

Click here for download: http://tinyurl.com/aghpfyv

Click on download zip file, not download fixer, and you will have the dll file.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to Thubner

I sent an email earlier about the problem and here is Google's answer:

"Thank you for contacting Nik by Google. I apologize for this inconvenience.  Please download and reinstall the Nik Collection to your computer, either from your original Nik Collection download email, or by downloading the trial from Google.com/NikCollection. This should be version 1.105 of the Nik Collection.  If you previously had a registered version of the Nik Collection installed on your computer, installing the trial will simply update the files for you. Make sure that all host applications are closed as you run the installer, and then you should be able to launch the software once again.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or visit support.google.com/nikcollection to call our Customer Service Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST."

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

This Nik update needs the runtime for Visual Studio 2012. You can download the x86 and x64 packages from Microsoft here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Download the x86 and x64 versions of the installer and run both, the Nik software will then work. It looks like Google made the simple error of not testing on a machine which didn't already have these dlls.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to Wingy47

NIK's response to the problem (email sent to me today): Dear    , Thank you for contacting Nik by Google. I'm sorry to hear this occurred.  We had an autoupdate last night that I believe may have triggered this.  Please download and install the trial of the Nik Collection to your computer from Google.com/NikCollection. Since you previously had a registered version of the Nik Collection installed on your computer, installing the trial will simply update the files for you. Make sure that all host applications are closed as you run the installer, and your plug-ins will be back in place once you re-open the host.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Wingy47

I was out of town last week and when I got back today, I had the same missing file error message when I tried to open PhotoShop. Also, my NIK plugins were gone?  I downloaded the trial of Nik Collection-1.1.0.5. exe and that solved the problem! Thanks to the forum. It would have been nice if NIK-Google has sent out a notice to registered users alerting us to the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to Judybl

Judybl's solution worked perfectly for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to Tiz

Tiz, regarding HDR Effects Pro 2 not showing up for you. Check under your export pop-up. This is where this plug-in appears. It does not appear in the Photo | Edit In menu along with the others. Only know this because of a book I was reading on the Nik Plugins!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to Leigh-a

I got the same message but I don't have Nik on my CS5.  I did have a trial but I got rid of that months ago and the Nik I do have is a very old borrowed Color Efex that's attached to my old PS7 (which opens just fine.)

The link above from MS that Argus posted has 3 choices.  How do I know which one to take?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to LouReeves

OK, this is bizarre.  I deleted the folder AND uninstalled the Nik Dfine I had a trial of and apparently still got the update that borked my dll.  It's window always came up and I ignored it but Google sending out unannounced and unwanted updates to software that I don't even have any more just to gum up my PS5 is stupidity.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to kpksera

Yeah--I did the same thing yesterday--reinstalling from the original download. You can't do that; the problem returns the next time you reboot your computer. Forget all this stuff about manually splicing in the .dll. Just go to the Nik website and download the trial version of your software directly. This will solve the issue for good. Don't worry that it's a trial version, because your registration will "stick," as will any presets you have downloaded. You will have a full version, not a trial, and you will not have to pay again. No need to uninstall the copies you have, either. Just download from the site, and all problems should vanish.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2013 10:58 PM   in reply to Wakener

Yea, the Nik that I had a trial of, that I then uninstalled and deleted the folders is now a freebie thanks to Google.  Someone there dropped the ball. I just can't figure out how it got through if I didn't have it anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to Wingy47

Post # 28 from Wingy47 worked for me, Thank You!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Atomck1

#28 worked for me also and my error occurred inside Lightroom 5.2.  I had not made it to CS6 before the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to Atomck1

I spoke too soon. While downloading the trial version of NIK software took care of the error message and allowed access to the NIK plug-ins I now have a prolem with how NIK functions in PS. First: Speed of applying NIK effects is greatly reduced. It takes a much longer time to load Color Efex, almost 2 minutes. Then after clicking done it takes up to 6 minutes to apply the filter as a layer in PS, 4 different "status bars" show up that never did before; the last one being saving image which takes aout 2 minutes on it's own. Second: After applying another filter it comes up in a layer in PS at the same opacity level as the previous layer and it adds to the effect of the previous layer, even though the second layer was just noise reduction with Dfine. Third: After applying a 3rd filter Pro sharpening, with the same results as adding Dfine, I loose the functionality of the opacity controls on previous layers, meaning that adjusting the opacity of previous layers has no affect on the final image. I hope I can go back to the previous version of NIK that worked perfectly. How can Google update one of my programs, that worked, with something that was oviously not ready for release, for a new feature that I did not want, that totally screwed me on two different projects and then send out no notice of a screw up or a fix for it, when I have automatic updates turned off? Frustrated, Sorry for the rant.  

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Atomck1

I fixed the problem that I had noticed yesterday by downloading the trial version.  I also decided to send NIK a comment via their link on the NIK software page (http://www.google.com/nikcollection/) and used the Contact link on the second header bar to report that I had also had the problem inside of Lightroom.  I did receive the canned message saying they would be back to me in 1-2 business days but had a real response a few hours later.  Essentially they wanted that feedback and encouraged it so they can figure out what really happened to cause the problems.

So folks, send NIK your feedback on what happened and what, if anything, you did to fix it.  They want to know.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points