• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exclude topics from the index

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if it is possible to exclude topics from an index based on a conditional build tag or if the title contains "x" or by any other method (script?).

There are hundreds of pages in this help that only contain an image and I don't want them in the Index.  For example, there is a topic called "Widows dialog" and "Menu dialog", etc.   I want to excude them from the Wizard without having to manually delete 500 pages from the index.  Basically any topic with the word dialog in it.  Of course I can have it not index the word dialog, but that doesn't help much.

Also, what is your opinion on having topics with only screen shots in the index? Anyone else ever do this?

Thanks for any feedback!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried a test I selected the "Exclude from search checkbox" and I made sure there weren't any Index keywords and then I ran the Smart Index Wizard.  Well, they still show up in the Index.  I opened the properties on the topic to see if it added anywords and it didn't add any words to the properties of the topic.......next...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of RH are you using. Later versions allow you to add a CBT to an index keyword. RH10 definitely does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean to go to the Index pod and find each index that has the worf  image in it and apply a conditional tag to "skip" it? Wouldn't it be easier just to delete it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid you lost me when you started mentioning images in your index. It makes me wonder whether we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to the index that you see in the Index tab of your help. In RH10 you can right click on an index keyword and apply a conditional build tag. This works in exactly the same way as other content flagged with a conditional build tag. In short you specify in your single source layout to exclude content with a particular tag or tags. If this is not what you mean, come back with where I am getting it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum

If you read the first post, the OP said they have hundreds of topics that only have an image inside the topic.

I'm wondering if they might consider placing all those image topics inside a specific folder. Then if they are allowing RoboHelp to build an index for them, they can omit that folder during the process.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct Captiv8r.   How can you omit a folder while using the Index wizard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Admittedly this would not be a "one pass and you are done" sort of affair. It would require multiple passes to achieve.

When you use the Smart Index Wizard, on the second dialog you see after clicking Next >, there is a drop-down that allows you to choose the folder to restrict running against.

Since you may also choose to run the wizard agains topics with a specific status, you might also just apply a specific status to all topics except the topics in the folder. That might be the simpler approach.

tmp1.PNG

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, those are two helpful ideas that I can use on smaller projects or even on this project if I have the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp