• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import vector shape layers from illustrator to photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm on this project that i need to digitize an old artwork. It requires vector (AI) & shading (PS).

I have all line art done in AI. There's like 50 layers on it. The original artwork has "shading" and "highlight" on it used by Air brush.

I just want to import all the layers in photoshop at once. It will be time consuming if i do it one by one SO is there any way that I can transfer all the vector path from AI to PS?

I tried Meshtool and its hard to control. Unlike in Brush tool in PS, I got the freedom to adjust the opacity, softness, etc.

Hopefully there's some way how to do it.

Thanks,

Debs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are only simple paths (no meshes, clipping paths etc) you can turn them all into compound shapes (every path on its own) and then export a PSD with full editability. You will then get a PSD with shape layers.

If you don't need shapes in Photoshop, but converted to pixels would be OK as well, you can leave out the converting to compound shapes.

There might also be a way to create your artwork in Illustrator. Could you show a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

How should I turn them all into compoud shapes? when I export the file in AI theres no option of PSD.

Here is one of the props that I'm working on. Each gray (shapes) should have a midtones and highlight.

for adone.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I don't know if this can help. Maybe it'll take much time. but...

You may try to unlock all the paths on illustrator, copy all and paste in a new photoshop file.  When you paste it on a new photoshop file you should select the path option. All the layers will be placed on the same layer as paths. I think you'll need to separate each path on different layers if you want to use different filters or brushes on it.

To separate the paths, on photoshop, use the path selection tool (A) to select one path, load the path as selection (this option is on the bottom of path menu), create a new layer (this option is on the bottom of the layer menu) and now you can fill that selection on that new layer. Repeat it with each path if you want to separate it.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this technique! It's not a editable shape but its fill which is fine to me bec its still preserves the high resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting to PSD, use File > Export

In order to turn all of the shapes into compound paths, use the pathfinder panel's menu

This might not be needed in this case.

In order to have highlight and shadow in your file, gradients might be suitable, but you should also be able to do it using gradient meshes.

I can't recognize how exactly you set up your shapes, which is quite important for working with gradient meshes. Take into account that you might need some more shapes in order to achieve what you want.

Tke a look at some tutorials on photorealistic illustration as an example. You find some on vectortuts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be over simplyfying the solution, have you tried:-

• Illustrator, layers panel
  • Release to layers sequence
  • Export to photoshop (psd)
  • in dialogue box - Write layers - click 'ok'

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines