Word 2010 a Prerequisite for Robohelp 10

Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System: 64-bit OS, Windows 7

Robohelp 10.0.1.292

MS Word 2013

Error messages when attempting to generate PDF or print documentation:

(1)The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.

(2) A supported version of Microsoft does not exist. Please install Microsoft 200 or newer.

Comments from Adobe Support:

"You are getting this error because this is a feature of Robohelp that first it launches Microsoft word and then it generates .pdf, so because of that you are getting this error."

[This implies that in order for a PDF to be generated by an Adobe product, Microsoft Word is a REQUIREMENT.]

"I would like to inform you that Microsoft office 2013 is not compatible with Robohelp 10 that is why you are getting this message."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure what your purpose is in reporting this. Word 2013 is not compatible with RoboHelp 10 is something that is known and already covered on these forums.

Any PDF creator needs something from which it can generate a PDF, be it a DOC file, a TXT file, a spreadsheet, an image, anything. PDF for this purpose is effectively a printer and a printer has to have something sent to it.

The error message is an old one and it should read differently. The (1) part should no longer be there and the (2) part obviously needs an update.

There is a workaround though. Start the process by right clicking Properties in the Printed Documentation Layout and it will generate.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that either of your points were true but this is not definitively covered in the forums. People have mentioned being assisted by Adobe but not successful in resolving this problem. The workaround seems to work only for some people, either due to their OS or Office version environment with dissimilar results.... there are windows 8 64 vs 32 bit variants windows 7 64 vs 32 bit variants bit office 2013 64 vs 32 bit variants then office 365 with exclusive online and local online variants and of course the combination of the mentioned. If the workaround works for all of these then 1) why does it not work for me, and 2) why was this not at least suggested by Adobe support?

The second and more important point is that Robohelp will not print PDFs. As Adobe Support has stated this is due to the fact office 2013 is installed. Of course it needs something to generate before I can create a pdf or anything but I don’t generate my images in Office and I want to generate / print from .xml or .html that were created in Robohelp, not created in Office..... so why is it that I need any MS office version to print PDFs? According to Adobe Support I do.

Thanks for the workaround but if this worked and worked for everyone then I would not need to contact Support and Support would not have sent me the answer they did. Since Adobe Support states that I "need office 2010 to use Robohelp to create PDFs" this is something that I wish I had known before I purchased the product and people should be aware of before they buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are not going to tell you there is a workaround. The official stance is that Word 2013 is not supported, end of story.

Other users of this forum will tell you that they are not always right in their answers but in this case they are right to the extent it is not supported. That does not mean it cannot be done.

Like I said, right click the Print Layout and select Properties. Change the selection from PDF to Word, only Word. Then you will find a Word document is created and from there you can use the version of Acrobat that you have.

The only version of Word 2013 where that may not work is the 64 bit version. Before you blame Adobe for that, Microsoft themselves recommend using the 32 bit version for compatibility with other programs.

You need Word because that is what Rh is programmed to use to hand over to PDF.

What I said about the error message I have posted before.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stated in my first message that I was using a 64bit version. That is the machine I need to use for all my work.

As such, your comment "The only version of Word 2013 where that may not work is the 64 bit version" is indeed correct and that is why I clearly stated that at the top of my first message.

System: 64-bit OS, Windows 7

Robohelp 10.0.1.292

MS Word 2013

There is no blame on Adobe. These are merely the facts. Adobe Support has been helpful and polite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I missed that in trying to help you while also trying to meet a deadline.

I thought I was trying to be helpful but obviously not. Officially Word 2010 is the requirement. Unofficially Word 2013 will work and for some that will include the 64 bit version. However, if there are issues, then even Microsoft recommend the 32 bit version.

I don't know if you have to have the 64 bit version of Word for some other reason but if not, why not run the 32 bit version on your 64 bit machine? That is working quite happily for myself and others.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe some of the links in this post will help.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5843298?tstart=0#5843298

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp