Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Usage rights

Former Community Member

Please can someone help me?  This is driving me nuts!  I have designed a form using Adobe Livecycle ES4.  I want users to be able to save and email filled out forms. I understand that I have to apply usage rights but I cannot see how to do this.  For your information I also have Adobe Reader XI and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro.  I have searched Adobe help documents extensively and cannot find the answer. Can someone please tell me step by step how to do this please?

Thank you.

7 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Wasil

Thank you for your answer.  It was somewhat helpful in that it steered me in the right direction.  However, for the information of others, here's what I had to do, step by step:

1. Develop the form in Livecycle ES4.
  2. Save the form as an XML.
  3. Close the form in Livecycle.
  4. Open the form in Acrobat Pro
  5. Click on FILE, SAVE AS OTHER, READER EXTENDED PDF, ENABLE MORE TOOLS.  You can then enable usage rights in Adobe Reader such as the ability to save a filled in form as a PDF, and email it.

The Adobe help instructions do not say this!  Very confusing!

But I have suceeded in the end, thanks to your advice.

I hope it helps others.

Thank you.

Level 2

BIG CAVEAT!!

Applying extended rights using Adobe Acrobat Pro limits you to 500 responses as per Acrobat's EULA.

If you require more than that, you must use LiveCycle's Reader Extensions module. Simply owning a copy of LC doesn't give you any extra permissions, it's all down to which software product applied the rights.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Reader_Extension_Policy_A10-5-31-2011.pdf

Former Community Member

Oh thanks for flagging that up.  Does this mean I have to purchase a Reader Extensions Module for my Livecycle ES4? Or is this included? in Livecycle ES4?  If so how do I access it?

Thank you

Employee

ensure that you have selected Reader Extensions while running LCM (LiveCycle Configuration Manager)

Reader Extensions has a web UI which can be accessed via http://servername:port/ReaderExtensions (login as super admin)

You can read more about it @ http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/11.0/ReaderExtHelp/WS92d06802c76abadb-6e9e4078126d970c0d8-8000...

--Santosh

Former Community Member

I'm sorry - everyone's trying to help but I really don't understand what I need to do here.

Here's what I have at my disposal: Livecycle ES4, Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, Adobe Reader XI. 

I am not an IT person, I have just designed a form using Livecycle ES4 which I want to publish as a template on our intranet site.  The intention is that uers will access the form and open it in Adobe Reader XI, fill in the form and email it.  Users need to open the blank form, fill it in, save a copy for themselves, and email a copy to me.  The form needs to be used multiple times by users so over several years it is likely to exceed 500 uses.

I've designed a form with lots of functionality that I am pleased with, but I can't work out how to overcome this problem with usage rights.

Can someone please explain in very simple terms what I need to do?  Buy something?  Follow some instructions?  Download something?  I apologise but I do not find the Adobe help documents helpful at all - they all seem to assume a higher level of prior knowledge about the product than I have, as a mere user.

I really hope someone can be patient and advise me!  Thank you.

Employee Advisor

JD,

Assuming by "Livecycle ES4" you mean "LiveCycle Designer ES4"  and the number of users for reader extended forms are likely to go beyond 500, you'd use Adobe LiveCycle ES4 Reader Extensions which is a separate server side product.Here is the link to complete documentation for Livecycle ES4 : http://helpx.adobe.com/livecycle.html ('Reader Extension' being one of the various available modules).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wasil