• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discrepancy between Book Content (TOC) between RoboHelp Explorer & CNT/HLP Generated

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got an old WinHelp4 project that has been neglected for years and now we are trying to bring it current.

I've deleted the old TOC it had and created a new one with just a couple of entries to start with (just to make sure everything gets put together ok).  I've run into an odd thing.  After generating the help files, if I click on the button to "Review Primary Layout" or generate the help file and click on "View Result" I get the old version of the TOC.  That is, 10 books in the Contents Tab window.  If I double click in Windows Explorer on the actual generated .hlp file I get the correct Contents.

It appears to me that RoboHelp is "remembering" something that deleting and recreating the TOC did not reset.  I went trough all of the files that I saw for the RH project but didn't see anything that had the old book names in them.

I'm using RH for Word 10.0 on Win7 Pro (64-bit).

This is w WinHelp4 project.  The plan is to move to HTML.  But can't do it now.

Where is this information coming from?

Any and all help is appreciated.

TIA

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

So what is life like in the days of assembling pyramids?

Sorry, couldn't resist teasing you a bit on your using RoboHelp for Word.

My thought here is that you need to ensure you scrub the system of any old files lurking about. We see the same thing from time to time over in the world of RoboHelp HTML where folks insist RoboHelp is "remembering" old stuff. Only to discover later that for whatever reason, they had forgotten about this file over here. Once they deleted all traces of the old output, voila! The new content begins "magickally" appearing!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes working with RoboHelp for Word is a bit frustrating when you know better things are available.  Hopefully this project will be converted to HTML sometime next year.  But for now, it is what it is.

I backed up my project folder (including all subfolders) and deleted everything except for the .cnt, .doc &.hpj files.  This did not resolve the issue.  Where else would something like this be stored?  I even deleted the .cnt file after that and am still getting the obsolete TOC.

Any other ideas and/or thoughts?

Thanks

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be looking all over my hard drive as well as in any network locations. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

I suppose to confirm whether this is the issue, I'd also try renaming the project so the output files are different.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't HLP create some other file in the same folder that needs to be trashed?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ,HLP and .CNT files are the ones I remember but I think there could be others depending on what other stuff is used (e.g. macros). I seem to remember there is a report that can be run that lists all the files that must be distributed with your WinHelp project. I can't for the life of me remember where it is though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there was some other file that got created when people used the help.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very weak and distant neurons firing here... Painful...

Wasn't it called a GID file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give that man a large gold star! That's the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Sir. Thank you.

@Scott. Make sure there isn't one of those kicking around. If there is, just trash it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your replies.  But still no joy.

I've deleted all of the .gid files and this issue still exists.  I'm missing something.

Is any of this type of information saved anywhere in the RoboHelp folder structure, ini files or registry?

Thanks

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying it even happens after a copy and a rename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Word are you using and is it the 32 bit or 64 bit version?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still no luck.

I've copied the project files, deleted everything except the ,hpj, .doc, .cnt, and .hh files. 

Renaming them (1 by 1 as there's no "save as" option) I don't see any books listed under the Contents Tab (I only see the full screen help screen that has menu options of Help Topics, Back, Print, <<, and >> and it displays the default topic (which I'm also trying figure out how to change in RoboHelp Explorer).

At this point I'm thinking (and back to using the original project files) as long as I can see the correct books under the Content Tab when I double-click on the .hlp file in Windows Explorer I should be ok.  It's a little disheartening that the RoboHelp Explorer shows something different.  I'm concerned that maybe this is a corruption issue and hope that nothing blows up in my face if I go ahead and use the output from this project.

To answer the additional questions as to what version of MS Word is being used, it's MS Word 2007 (32-bit) on Win7 Pro 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp