• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In PDFs generated by FM 11, the word spacing for some paragraphs widens. What causes this?

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PDFs I'm generating using FM 11, the word spacing for some paragraph tags widens.  I cannot see any difference in the paragraph tag properties.  Sometimes this causes the text to extend into the margin or even outside of the table borders as shown in the examples.

Note that I'm using the "Save as PDF" option.

Please see the attached examples which show the PDF output and the FM source of the same thing.  Notice that the extra word spacing does not happen to every paragraph.

What causes this and how can I fix it?

Adobe-example-1.pngAdobe-FM source-1.pngAdobe-example-2.pngAdobe-FM source-2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Perhaps, but here's what Microsoft has to say at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511282.aspx

Segoe UI and Segoe are not the same font. Segoe UI is the Windows font intended for user interface text strings. Segoe is a branding font used by Microsoft and partners to produce material for print and advertising.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be multiple things to consider, but the first that came to mind is:

In your maker.ini (and you may have 2; 1 system; 1 user)

what is the [ On | Off ] declaration for string:

"DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics="

It is found in the "Font Options" section of my .ini.

Further musings ...

What printer is configured during edit? If it's not a PostScript or Ps-like printer, I could see PDF gen looking different.

Then, what Font you are using, and does your system actually have it or is a substitution occuring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some good musings...here's what I found:

In the c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\maker.ini file, DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics=ON.

In the c:\Users\joaudett\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\maker.ini file, there is no such parameter.

I changed the printer setting to Adobe PDF but that had no affect.

I'm using Segoe UI in all the cases where the word spacing is wrong....and I have it on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had a client using the same font and experiencing the same result.

I believe the UI stands for User Interface, and that this font is not intended for print. My client switched to Calibri, and has been moving along ever since.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

This font worked fine in FM 10...it was only when I upgraded to FM 11 that the PDF generation changed.

Thanks for your input...

jocelyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, but here's what Microsoft has to say at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511282.aspx

Segoe UI and Segoe are not the same font. Segoe UI is the Windows font intended for user interface text strings. Segoe is a branding font used by Microsoft and partners to produce material for print and advertising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked perfectly in FM 10 PDFs...so I believe that it should work using FM 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...I saw this...thanks for sending.  I'll play around with fonts to see if that's the issue. 

But because it worked with FM10, I'm not so sure that this is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What joboptions ar you specifying for the PDF creation? Also, do you have the CMYK option enabld? This option still messes up with some classes of OTF Pro and TT fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

I am using CMYK.

For "job options", in the PDF Setup/Settings tab, I've tried both High Quality Print and Standard as the PDF Job Options.  Are there other settings you know of that might affect word spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change to the RGB mode - the CMYK mode still has some issues and unless you are creating output for colour press work, avoid it at all costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing to RGB seemed to fix the problem!!!  Thank you! 

I need to change some color definitions to get the color I want, but that is easier than changing to fonts that won't work as well.

Also, the fact that the word spacing for some paragraph tags using Segoe UI was different than word spacing for other paragraph tags ALSO using Segoe UI makes me wonder about that as the issue.

Anyway, I appreciate your (and Matt's) input...thanks for taking the time!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it worked for you!

Please file a bug report detailing the font and referencing this thread at:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=63

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines