Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert 24fps to 60fps using twixtor?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

I've got this 1080p 24fps (23,976) clip that I'd like to convert to 60fps. I tried using "frame blending" when exporting the clip to 60fps but that didn't look very well.

My idea was to use Twixtor to create those extra frames that doesn't exist.

Twixtor does a much better job creating those extra frames than premiere, the problem is I don't know how to get a slowmo clip play as 60fps?

23,976 / 60 = 0,3996, so in theory I should be able to slow down my clip to 39,96% and then play it as 60fps in realtime, right?

I'm using the latest version of Premiere CC on a new MacBook Pro. Would this be esier to do in AE?

Any ideas?

Regards

Patrik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose behind the change in frame rate?  What are you trying to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to accomplish smoother playback, a la "soap opera" style 😃 I have this beautiful scenery shot in 24p years ago, and I'd like to to see how it looks on my new projector that I've got in 60fps. Normaly I would go the other way around since 23,976fps is the ultimate cinematic framerate (according to me), so basically this is just testing.

There are players that can do this, for example Smooth Video Project enables players to convert 24, 25 & 30fps to 60fps (or higher), creating this smooth effect. That's what I'm after!

I thought 30fps would be easy to convert to 60fps but I'm getting double frames every 4-5 frames or so. My idea with the 30fps material was to drag the clip in to a new comp > double the clip > make a new sequence out of that, slowing that down by 50% using twixtor and then import that sequence in to a new 60fps sequence. It "sort of" worked, but it got choppy not to fluid as I wanted to.

http://www.svp-team.com/

Regards

Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to accomplish smoother playback, a la "soap opera" style 😃

OK, I think you might be the first person ever who wanted to go from the high quality, professional look of film to the amateurish, cheesy look of video.

I'm not sure that's possible, though.  Even when my BD player adds the 'missing frames' to turn 24p content into the 60p signal my TV receives, it still looks like film.  I suspect for that video look, you will need to have shot it at the higher frame rate originally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I want to accomplish smoother playback, a la "soap opera" style 😃

OK, I think you might be the first person ever who wanted to go from the high quality, professional look of film to the amateurish, cheesy look of video.

Except Peter Jackson

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm not sure that's possible, though.  Even when my BD player adds the 'missing frames' to turn 24p content into the 60p signal my TV receives, it still looks like film.  I suspect for that video look, you will need to have shot it at the higher frame rate originally.

No not necissarliy, "smooth video enthusiasts" use this method a lot, check the SVP link I posted in my previous post I would never assault a good film with this method, but for a test I'm curious to see what it looks like!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I cracked the code

23,976 (fps) / 60 = 0,3996

What does this mean? If we take our 23,976 fps clip and slow it down to 39,96% using twixtor we are now generating the "new" frames (36,024 of them every "real" second). If we place our new slow motion clip in a 60fps timeline and speed it up by 239,76% we get realtime footage converted to 60fps.

A bit confusing, but do you get the idea?

Regards

Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would Video CoPilot's frame rate converter do it for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen Pickering122 wrote:

Would Video CoPilot's frame rate converter do it for you?

I don't get the frame rate converter to work. AE just keeps freezing on me. According to VC's website only AE CS4 and previous versions are supported, so I guess thats why I don't get it to work.

Regards

Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am totally confused by your use of the terms "slomo" and "realtime".

I'm kinda guessing you want to play a 23.976 fps (realtime/normal speed) clip at 59.94 fps realtime/normal speed, if that is incorrect, I apologize.

The correct term for doing this is "Frame rate up-conversion" (use this for your Google searches)

Twixtor can do this

http://help.revisionfx.com/tutorial/148/

And After Effects can do this

http://creativeclouduser.com/converting-frame-rates-with-after-effects/

Final quality can vary based on software and original footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Qengineering wrote:

I am totally confused by your use of the terms "slomo" and "realtime".

I'm kinda guessing you want to play a 23.976 fps (realtime/normal speed) clip at 59.94 fps realtime/normal speed, if that is incorrect, I apologize.

The correct term for doing this is "Frame rate up-conversion" (use this for your Google searches)

Twixtor can do this

http://help.revisionfx.com/tutorial/148/

And After Effects can do this

http://creativeclouduser.com/converting-frame-rates-with-after-effects /

Final quality can vary based on software and original footage.

Tnx, this was exacly what I was looking for Basically I did exacly as the tutorial, except I changed the sequence settings to 60fps instead of interpret the footage. What is the difference in changing sequence settings and interpret the footage?

Regards

Patrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2013 Nov 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know the inner workings of Twixtor enough to tell you the difference, or why it even worked (if it did).

The typical, recommended workflow would be to set the sequence to the desired final output frame rate. Then, change interpret frame rate of a clip from (typically) real-time, to a new speed, that will play out each individual frame, no skips and no duplicates, at the new frame rate. If you change the framerate interpretation of a 23.976 fps clip to 59.94 it will speed it up to 250% of normal/realtime. If you then drop it into a 59.94 sequence and add Twixtor, you would need to tell Twixtor to slow down the footage to 40% in order to get back to real time.

In Premiere, interpret frame rate changes the playback speed of the clip. Using a sequence with frame rate different from the clip, will retain the original speed of the clip and duplicate or remove frames as necessary to meet the new frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines