Exit

Side Heads - Cannot change size

Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

W7, FM11.

I think I might be doing something fundementally wrong, but I cannot change the size of a Side Head.

I have already populated the document and can add a Side Head by Format > Page Layout > Column Layout... and checking Room for Side Heads.

However, no matter what I change Width to, it always remains the same size.

What am I doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

> ... cannot turn a Side Head on and off in the body of a document which uses the same master page?

I never use SH, but just playing with it a bit, it behaves, umm, unexpectedly.

I would have suggested creating MPs "Left.SH" and "Right.SH" which would be used via Apply Master Pages whenever a paragraph of tag, say, "Sidehead" was used. Doesn't work.

Conversely, allowing Left/Right to be SH layouts, and creating Left.Normal and Right.Normal pages, to be AMP-mapped by paratags with, say, ".norm" name

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the answer to my question here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2255721#2255721 (Art's answer)

Basically, it seems have to setup the Side Head on the Master Page?

In other words, I cannot turn a Side Head on and off in the body of a document which uses the same master page?

EDIT: I did all this by entering the Master Page view, right-clicking the main body frame, Object Properties and changing the Side Head information in Text Frame > Flow.

I'm a bit confused to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... cannot turn a Side Head on and off in the body of a document which uses the same master page?

I would have suggested creating MPs "Left.SH" and "Right.SH" which would be used via Apply Master Pages whenever a paragraph of tag, say, "Sidehead" was used. Doesn't work.

Conversely, allowing Left/Right to be SH layouts, and creating Left.Normal and Right.Normal pages, to be AMP-mapped by paratags with, say, ".norm" names, doesn't work either.

What does work is letting all the pages be SH, and creating paragraph formats of name ".ash":

Paragraph Designer > Tag [ Body.ash ]
Properties: Pagination

• Across all Columns and Side Head
  • (as long as you don't need multi-column)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error7103 wrote:

Conversely, allowing Left/Right to be SH layouts, and creating Left.Normal and Right.Normal pages, to be AMP-mapped by paratags with, say, ".norm" names, doesn't work either.

What does work is letting all the pages be SH, and creating paragraph formats of name ".ash":

Paragraph Designer > Tag [ Body.ash ]
    Properties: Pagination

• Across all Columns and Side Head
  • (as long as you don't need multi-column)

This is exactly what I have done.

Works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sideheads are a document level property. They are either turned on or off for the flows in the document. You can adjust the individual widths on different Master pages, but all Masters must have them. To turn them on/off on individual pages, you have to accomplish this by applying appropriate paratags that are set to be formatted "Across all Columns and Sideheads" or break up the file into smaller files and apply the property accordingly (using the Book to keep things together visually).

That being said, when you change the sidhead width (or any other property) via the Column Layout, it changes only the default Left/Right masters. Any other master pages that you may have created, need to be manually tweaked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Arnis Gubins wrote:

That being said, when you change the sidhead width (or any other property) via the Column Layout, it changes only the default Left/Right masters. Any other master pages that you may have created, need to be manually tweaked.

This explains the Column Layout method perfectly.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines