• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 7.1 - Red frames in playback and export

Participant ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having some problems after the 7.1 update.

In a variety of projects, on a variety of footage, we're experiencing random fully red frames (#ff000). Sometimes there are 1-2 frames in a clip, and occaisionally it's 80%-90% of the frames in a clip (this is less frequent). It has never been all of the frames of a clip.

This happens:

- On an undrendered timeline (you'll be watching an edit and you'll see a red frame - if you scrub back to it it'll still be there)

- On a rendered timeline

- In exports

Red frames that are visible on a timeline, are sometimes carried through to the export and sometimes not. Sometimes an exported file will display red frames that were not present on the timeline.

Red frames seem to be based on clips, not sequence frames. For example, in one of my exports, I had video footage with a lower third graphic over it. In one frame of the export, a red box appeared over the graphic, but the main shot was not affected.

This has happened to the following types of footage:

- .MTS (from C100)

- .MXF (from C300)

- ProRes 422 MOV

- ProRes 4444 MOV with alpha channel

Fixes that seem to work:

- If an export has red frames, re-export. Watch the new one like a hawk. Repeat until you get lucky.

- If a clip on a timeline has red frames, force a re-render via a Crop filter or similar

- Quit Premiere and reopen it

System/environment details:

- OSX 10.8.5

- Premiere Pro CC 7.1

- Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

- Often (always?) I-Frame Only MPEG sequence settings

- Much (all?) of the footage we've been working with has been on AFP shares via GigE with MTU of 9000

I haven't been able to confirm yet:

- Whether this ever happens with locally stored footage

- Whether this ever happens when Queueing to media encoder (rather than Exporting from Premiere)

- Whether changing to a QuickTime Desktop based sequence setting resolves the issue

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It's frutstratingly un-testable, since it seems to happen at random. We'll continue to gather data points though and see if we notice any other trends.

Edit: Added additional system context

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Today's Premiere Pro update (7.2) should resolve this issue with red frames in ProRes files. Please let us know if you have any further difficulties and our apologies for the disruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 182 Replies 182
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had it happen to me. Do you use cuda? what's your card? We've had the same workflow for 2 years with premiere and this just popped up with the 7.1 update.

It's a roll of the dice. Kevin Monahan said it was corrupted frames, but they come and go.

I can tell you it happens both in queue and export.

I love adobe and have been using their products for so, so long. Kinda bummed about being an unwilling beta tester though. Hope they fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks tstormSierra, glad to see it's not just us. Agree that it's not corrupt frames as they're always recoverable by grabbing Premiere by the shoulders and giving it a good shake.

I can also confirm that sequence codec has no effect, and that it happens even with no CUDA (one suite is NVIDIA GT120). And never saw this issue pre-7.1.

I think next time they should avoid naming a release after a month, so that they're not forced to rush it out on the final calendar day to avoid breaking their promise

Adobe - would really appreciate a fix asap guys. Reviewing your exports for red frames isn't the end of the world on a 30-second spot, but when your runtime creeps up around 10 minutes this is NOT fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing similiar issues. On the last project, I would see random red frames within clips on the timeline. NO FIX

Now on this project, I am seeing red thumbnails on a majority of my clips in the timeline. Even at the beginning, the red thumbnail would indicate that the first frame is red, but as you can see in my screenshot (Program monitor) I have the first frame selected on the timeline and it isn't red (Like the thumbnail suggests) When played through there isn't any red frames in the clip at all.

Screen Shot 2013-11-14 at 9.32.03 PM.png

It's not entirely too bad since the red frames aren't actually in my clips but it makes navigating more difficult because I can't see the thumbnail preview.

Specs

Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)

Format: Quicktime

Previews: Apple Prores 422HQ

All clips are transcoded to Prores 422HQ

My temporary fix for the thumbnails is trim off the first frame of the affected clips and the 2nd frame displays in the thumbnail properly.

I hope there is an update to fix this SOON!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you forget transcoding altogether and just edit natively? Transcoding is a Mac idiosyncrasy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Justin - yikes - that's pretty widespread. Seems like related issue though.

@cc_merchant - I've had the issue on other file types as well. Also, in spite of Adobe's marketing gusto, Mac Premiere handles ProRes much more smoothly than MTS for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat. I work at a network who decided to move to Premiere after the FCPX release. It's been one problem after another, with the red frames being the latest thing.

We've been doing this since CS 5.5. In my experience, Transcoding footage to ProRes has improved Premiere's performance - and now it's a part of our workflow unless I'm just going to cut natively in RED.

Nick_HE - I don't have a fix for the problem. It seems random. Usually it's only one frame for me and if I offline the file in question, then re-online it, it generally solves the issue. If you render footage with the red frame in it, you'll need to get rid of the rendered files and start over once the red frame is out. To do that quickly, I usually throw some footage below the clip in question causing everything to need to be re-rendered again. Hope this makes sense...

The issue is especially troublesome when we work with outside FX houses who deliver in ProRes 4444. We just had a project with a lot of green screen work and this new update really screwed us. It wasn't anticipated, so a lot of time was spent using a codec that wouldn't give us issues, like Animation or PNG sequences.

Frankly, I like a lot of things that Premiere has to offer, but it's just not solid. When I have a full work day ahead of me I need every second I can get, and Premiere tends to waste a lot of my time and be generally unresponsive. For small projects it's okay but I'd really prefer to be cutting in Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use mac mased Adobe Premiere CC and have been having all of the same issues. Our work arounds have been restarting and re exporting. We are using shared storage and i've been trying export to local, which seems to have helped in the last round of commercials we did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show of hands, please: Is your source content stored locally or "other"--on a network server, another computer, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had it happen both locally and over our network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source content for my facility is on a shared storage system http://www.maxxdigital.com/fs/

We keep scratch disks local on an external hardrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on local drive on a Mac Pro with QT Prores files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here, intermittent red frames from various source materials stored on an external esata Raid drive.

just got picture lock yesterday and need to finish this project so any word that this issues can be solved would be greatly appreciated - Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding myself to the thread here. I too have been experiencing this problem since the 7.1.0 update.

I'm working with 1080/25p ProRes4444 (non alpha) source material with overlayed PSD graphics all in a ProRes4444 sequence. The red flash frames are completely random (i.e. they don't occur on the same frame each time).

The project and source material is all on a network server (afp). However, the problem has also occurred on the server machine as well, which is directly attached via 8Gb fiber, so I would suspect that network drives aren't the issue here.

The problem has presented itself both during playback in a non-rendered sequence and on exports to ProRes422 HQ. The red frames are visible both on the program monitor and on my external monitor (via Blackmagic 4K Extreme).

All machines in question are Mac Pros running OSX 10.8.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark Mapes

Mostly AFP over GigE but occaisionally local (internal drive in Mac Pro) as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'd like to add myself to the list of red frames problem.  We're on a 12core MacPro, Quadro 4000 card with latest drivers editing a one hour 1080/60i prores timeline.  GPU acceleration.

This is a totally random occurrance and there seems to be no consistent pattern.  I have a back ground clip I use under 4:3 SD upconverted footage and the exact same clip will be clean, then when I put it under another clip it will have red frames.  Each time I paste it the red frames show up in a different spot, but if you play the clip in the viewer, of course no red frames.  Seems to be a render issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Footage is on internal 2TB 7200 RPM drives and a 2.5 TB Xserve raid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test exporting a short 40 second clip that had red frames without first rendering it in timeline.  The exported clip is clean.  On the timeline the indicator line was red and when I scrubbed thru the clip no red frames, but if i render it I get the red frames, but when exported no red frames.

This may be a work around.  I'll try more and let you know.

jw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jwffvm wrote:

...if i render it I get the red frames, but when exported no red frames.

To be honest I think that may have just been luck - I've experienced success and failures with every combination of render and export. Also remember that unless you select 'Use Previews' in the export window the renders are disregarded anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far it' worked on 4 different instances of red frames, but if it's luck, then I'll take it.  Thx....jw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I heard from my colleagues in Support. They say if you experience this problem, a work around is to trash your Media Cache files prior to exporting. Let us know if that is working while we look for a solid fix.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. For what it's worth, I save media cache files next to originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Kevin,

Exporting we didn't have a problem with red frames it was rendering on the timeline that produced them.  I trashed the media cache files and that seems to have solved the issue rendering on the timeline. 

How often should we be trashing the media cache?

thx...jw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JW,

That's just the thing, you should not have to. It's a bug. Feel free to file your bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish. Hopefully, we'll have a fix soon.

In the mean time, I would trash the media cache any time it's needed. If you don't use preview files in your final encode, you may as well trash them before exporting.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines