Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Load SWF from remote server with ActionScript in AIR based iOS ipa

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nimisha1,

Can you please confirm if I can Load SWF from remote server with ActionScript in AIR based iOS ipa?

Any help with regards to this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Amandeep Singh

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Hi Amandeep,

You can't load a swf from a remote server which contains ActionScript.

Thanks,

Nimisha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while, but I believe you can only load "dumb" assets from

remote servers - that is SWFs with no bytecode. Just having bytecode is

enough to invalidate them. To be honest, I'm not even sure a clean SWF

(with no ABC or actionscript bytecode in it) will pass Apple's

guidelines - it's ultimately up to them.

For certain I can tell you, the iOS AIR bundle doesn't have the

necessary plumbing (a jit) to run any bytecode from any SWF, even if you

were allowed to load it (or figured out how to get the SWF under Apple's

radar, which I wouldn't recommend even trying). You'll need to compile

all AS3 into the main application.

Kevin N.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amandeep,

You can't load a swf from a remote server which contains ActionScript.

Thanks,

Nimisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A new feature "External hosting of secondary swf files (iOS)" has been introduced with AIR 3.7 , please get more info @http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/shared/air3-7_flashplayer11-7_releasenotes.pdf

To use this feature please download AIR 3.7 build from http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html.

Please share the feedback with us.

-Nimisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m very excited about this feature since it addresses specifically the needs of my app.

However, I couldn’t make it work. The stripped assets file downloads fine, but when I try to access its content (ie. instantiate a symbol by its library name) the debugger states that the symbol doesn’t exist in the library, as well as that the custom class it’s linked to (via Base Class) doesn’t exist:

[SWF] SWFDownloadTest.swf - 944 bytes after decompression
ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable CustomClass1 is not defined.

[SWF] /test/SWFDownloadTest/assets/assets.swf - 5,481 bytes after decompression
Symbol meepit doesn’t exist in the library or error loading the library

The last line it's a custom trace statement that pops up when:

ApplicationDomain.currentDomain.hasDefinition("meepit")

returns false.

I followed the example in the AIR 3.7 Release Notes regarding the LoaderContext, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Anybody has had any luck in making this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm reading correclty, this new feature only lets you downloaded swf files with no bytecode from an external source instead of including them in the original package.  So "export for actionscript" might not work to get your art into the final swf that you publish (and later load).  As a result you'll either have to create the swf in FlashBuilder (the best way) or you need to put your asset on the stage.

Look into your published swf and see if the art is even in there.  Check the link report.  Most likely it never got into the stripped swf file to begin with, so when you load that swf, the asset is not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think/hope, that you're misunderstanding the new feature. The "export for action script" code will already be embedded in the app file. The new feature is all about hooking up the code-less swf with its original class files.

If there ends up being an issue where the host FLA's classes can't directly get at the library symbols of the loading code-less swf, perhaps the loading swf could have a public utility function that the host could call, that would hand back one of the library symbols from the swf being loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hei Nimisha,

any word on this? Is there a specific API to access the library symbols of the loaded library like Colin suggested?

How is the stripped code 'reconnected' to the library item?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get at a symbol in a dynamically loaded swf you use getDefinitionByName("mysymbol").

As far as me misunderstanding it, I'm pretty sure I'm not.  There is no way to run swfs in iOS that contain code.  The code in a swf is ABC (actionscript byte code) which cannot be interpreted on iOS.  Instead the iOS publisher translates as3 to objective-c and natively compiles for iOS.  So a published swf will not run, regardless of this feature.  Additionally if the suggestion is that you can publish a swf file natively for iOS with native code in it, and load that dynamically... well, first of all it doesn't work that way, and second of all, Apple would never allow that.

This feature is designed to allow you to put art inside a swf, load it dynamically, and display that art on iOS.  All code must be compiled into your main game as native iOS code.

PS: if you are using getDefinitionByName and the file still appeasr to be missing, make sure you set a linkage identifer so it is included in the published swf.  The special compiler flag used to strip the bytecode out will still do so, but presumably it will leave the symbol in the linkage list so it appears in the final output swf.  If not, I would suggest there is a bug in this feature because the only other way to get it to exist in the output swf is to put it on the stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What code do you talk of? If it's the code that was in the swf, that the compiler strips out and stores in the main app file, why did it do that if the code can not be used when the swf is reloaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new feature of AIR 3.7 ADT compiler is supposedly able to 'strip' the code from the to-be-loaded swf at compile time and add it to the main app file. This operation is done with the command-line ADT compiler. Once the to-be-loaded swf has been stripped of its code, it is uploaded on the server. Supposely this swf dosen't contain code anymore, so it can be downloaded by the app.

What is not clear is how the code gets 'reconnected' to the swf (metadata?) and if the usual

getDefinitionByName("mysymbol").

will work with this 'special' stripped swfs as well.

Please refer to the AIR 3.7 documentation for more info: http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/shared/air3-7_flashplayer11-7_releasenotes.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Our team is working on a blog which will give you more info about this feature and I hope it will resolve all your queries

Please have patience.We'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Nimisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Nimisha1

Load SWF from remote server with ActionScript in AIR based iOS ipa

This error is what causes it?We understand that it was wrong what?If not, how they deal with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a similar situation when trying to load swcs by their class name, and setting that class name in XML. The problem was solved by mentioning the class name in my code, which ends up making the feature less useful, but it's not too bad a solution, and certainly would be no big deal if the new feature worked that way.

So, for example, if this gives you errors:

var myclass:MyClass = new MyClass();

try doing this:

var myclasses:Array = ;

var myclass:MyClass = new MyClass();

Just the mention of MyClass in the code is enough to let the compiler know what you're talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that

I always do mention the library classes when I load them in from an external swf, otherwise hasDefinition() returns false.

However, in this case it didn't work.

I want to mention that CustomClass1 is the base class of my meepit symbol in the library, and it is 'mentioned' in the document class.

FYI you don't need to actually instantite it, it's enough to create a variable typed to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx Nimisha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vikkiana wrote:

I’m very excited about this feature since it addresses specifically the needs of my app.

However, I couldn’t make it work. The stripped assets file downloads fine, but when I try to access its content (ie. instantiate a symbol by its library name) the debugger states that the symbol doesn’t exist in the library, as well as that the custom class it’s linked to (via Base Class) doesn’t exist:

[SWF] SWFDownloadTest.swf - 944 bytes after decompression

[SWF] /test/SWFDownloadTest/assets/assets.swf - 5,481 bytes after decompression
Symbol meepit doesn’t exist in the library or error loading the library

The last line it's a custom trace statement that pops up when:

ApplicationDomain.currentDomain.hasDefinition("meepit")

returns false.

I followed the example in the AIR 3.7 Release Notes regarding the LoaderContext, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

Anybody has had any luck in making this work?

HI brothers, we encountered the same problem, experiment numerous times! Finally, no way! ! !

Is this a BUG, or what? Your last been solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MasterDaijunjie

Could you please share the sources of your sample application so that I could look into the issue.

Regards

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awsome!

I'll got through the blog, and try to make it work with the new info.

The process i was using was some what intricated , requiring me to

1. compile the assets swf with Flash Pro and Flash Player 11.7 (swf-version=20) tot eh assets folder in the src folder of my FB project

3. compile the main swf in Flash Builder 4.7

4. move the swf fromt he bin-debug to the src folder and run the ADT command from there using the assets compiled in Flash

5. manually install the resulting ipa on the device, upload the resulting swfs in externalStrippedSWFs to the server

6. run the debug command in FB again, but when the debugger starts, launch the manually installed app from the USB cvonnected device instead of launching the one installed by FB

7. Debug is working, but then I would get that Library problem

I'm sure this process is not foolproof, and actually last time I try I could get the debugging part to work, while the time it gave me the Library error I ddin;t compile the assets swf with 11.7 but with 11.6 so that might have been the problem.

I'll share my project so you cna have a look at it

thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Abhinav Dhandh

I pass up the test examples, please help me see, thank you!

The inside has rem.txt file, there are some instructions!

testfile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MasterDaijunjie

I had a look at your sample project and below are some of my observations :

1. The text file for specifing the external SWF has not been added in the project.

2. The text file has not been mentioned within the <externalSwfs> tag within iPhone tag in the app-xml.

3. The loader is trying to load a SWF from the IP 127.0.0.1 which is the general IP of every machine. You will not be able to load a SWF using that generalized IP. Please host the SWF generated in the externalStrippedSWF to a server & pass that URL to the loader.

4. You will not be able to access the Stage object or any of the stage properties within the external SWF as the stage object retruns as null for the SWF loaded using Loader.

I would suggest you to make the above changes as well as have a look at this blog : http://blogs.adobe.com/airodynamics/2013/03/08/external-hosting-of-sec ondary-swfs-for-air-apps-on-i... and try to run the application again.

Please revert back if you are still facing any issues.

Regards

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav

can you please look at this simple test project and let me know if you have any clue on what is going on?

please look at the README.txt file for additional info

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJoSlIwdVUzMWsxWjhUQw

Thanx!!!

Viviana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any progress on this? I believe the file i attached will expire in 2 days, so I'm wondering if i need to resend it

thanx!

Viviana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Viviana

I tried to look into this issue but the file is unavailable at the location. Could you please re-upload the file and mention the new link ?

Regards

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the file expires after a week on YouSendit

here's the file again, thanx fro looking at it

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJqTGt3aFJLVldLRmNUQw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines