Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unknown configuration variable 'useLegacyAOT'

Enthusiast ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest SDK as I saw a thread stating that Windows issues with useLegacyAOT had been fixed, but I can't test as I am seeing the error "unknown configuration variable 'useLegacyAOT'" whenever I try setting "useLegacyAOT".

Is it possible to do this from Flash Builder, or do I need to attempt a command line based on Flash Builder project?

Thanks,
G

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

You can set it in Project -> Properties -> Flex Build Packaging -> Apple iOS -> Customize Launch. The only place I can seem to put it is before -provisioning-profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaius, I'm unsure about the Flash Builder flow, but you'd need to do something like:

1) overlay the new SDK over your existing one (there are threads describing how to do this.)

2) somehow add the "-useLegacyAOT no" into packaging options (for the adt command) - I don't know if/where this is in the GUI.

In my commandline workflow, it works like this:

>wine java -jar $AIR_HOME/lib/adt.jar -version

Ensure the "-useLegacyAOT no" switch is right after "-target ipa-test" in the command:

>wine java -jar $AIR_HOME/lib/adt.jar -package -target ipa-test -useLegacyAOT no  -storetype pkcs12 -storepass *** -keystore cert.p12 -provisioning-profile dev.mobileprovision bin-debug/Main.ipa bin-debug/Main-app.xml -e bin-debug/Main.swf Main.swf -C src assets

Good luck!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff,

I've got the SDK overlaid already, and there is no issue there, but the compiler command itself _is_ an issue (see screenshot).

CompilerIssue.PNG

You say it is important to specify the argument after -target ipa-test but I don't have access to the command order to see where in the flow it is placed! Equally, Flash Builder simply blocks me using the compiler directive anyway as it is checking for invalid values and won't allow me to proceed with it set.

That said, I can see how to try it with command line from your example (thanks! ), so I'll give it another go now.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you not read the first part of my response? Judging by that screenshot, you are not anywhere near the correct screen. It is not a compiler argument. It is a packaging argument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

A cross posting issue, I think.

Your post hadn't shown up when I replied to _JEFF_!

But, I am in the correct screen now and will test a compile.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, great. Let me know if it works for you. It works for me only with release builds, but throws errors with a run/debug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW THAT'S GOOD!

Processor never got above 12%, memory remained stable and packaging complete in under two minutes.

For comparison, I kicked off a test build _without_ setting the useLegacyAOT parameter and memory soared, processor soared, and after five minutes, I have just started the zig-zag memory consumption when it starts to recompile into the .IPA so I reckon I have at least another three or four minutes to go.

I like this new feature.

A lot.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a release build I am guessing? Does it work with run/debug for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

colinchilds wrote:

Does it work with run/debug for you?

I see an error:

"Error occurred while packaging the application:

Compilation failed..."

Is it the same for you? Is there a ticket I can vote on or do the Adobe team follow this forum?

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it’s worth you can do interpreter debug builds that are quite fast, so maybe they only sped up the ad hoc and app store builds? When you’re testing a debug build, are in in interpreter mode? If you are, try as a device debug build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Device debug builds give me the "Compilation failed" error and interpreter builds give me "Option -useLegacyAOT can not be used with interpreter targets". Either way, with that parameter, I can't seem to debug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin Holgate wrote:

For what it’s worth you can do interpreter debug builds that are quite fast, so maybe they only sped up the ad hoc and app store builds? When you’re testing a debug build, are in in interpreter mode? If you are, try as a device debug build.

I'm assuming you mean "fast mode" testing by interpreter? That is surely a very different animal (with different behaviour on the device, too ) that doesn't compile to ARM, but instead runs AS. Little differences include the way it doesn't throw errors when you download (illegal) ABC code containing SWFs where standard mode does. Equally, its behaviour for text fields and interactivity differs in subtle, but irritating, ways.

I would prefer to test on the device using "standard" mode (which, I guess, is "device" build?) but it has been prohibitively slow until now. "Fast mode" testing is better, but I need to force myself to do a "standard" mode test every now and then to catch the anomalies of the two different run modes.

G

EDIT: Just checked in "Fast" mode and I see the same "cannot be used in interpreter" error that you saw. So... Hoping they allow us to useLegacyAOT no for "standard" mode testing soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged it as a bug here: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3683025

Now all we have to do is wait another 2 weeks for a new build, assuming they consider it a bug and fix it before then. Yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have tried to reproduce the issue using the steps shared by you but I am not able to reproduce it at our end.I am successfully able to compile an app in debug standard mode after adding -useLegacyAOT switch in Flash builder 4.7.

Below mentioned are the steps I used to compile the app:

1)Copy the AIR SDK at location C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.7\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.flash.compiler_4.7.0.349722\AIRSDK

2)Create new>ActionScript Mobile Project

3)RightClick on project and then select  Debug AS>Debug Configurations..

4)Select the following properties in the packaging window:

-Launch Method: onDevice

-Packaging Methd: Standard

-Add new parameter "-useLegacyAOT no" under Customize Launch option and place it before provisioning profile in the command.

5)Save and Debug the application.

App gets successfully installed on device without any error.

Could you please confirm the reproducible steps?

Thanks,

Sakshi

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sakjain wrote:

2)Create new>ActionScript Mobile Project

There is your problem, right there.

I am working on Flex.

All of my work is in Flex.

Being able to compile a pure ActionScript Mobile project is of no use to me!

Please retry using Flex Mobile Project.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This is a known issue with Flex mobile projects on windows and we are invetigating it at our end.For all the known issues you can check this:

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/shared/air4-0_flashplayer12-0_releasenotes.pdf

Thanks,

Sakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finished.

So...

A four-fold performance increase that uses less memory and less processor. That's pretty good. Can't wait till they roll this one out for release.

Will try now for debug to see if my results match yours.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set it in Project -> Properties -> Flex Build Packaging -> Apple iOS -> Customize Launch. The only place I can seem to put it is before -provisioning-profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines