• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't FrameMaker find an image when I change the book's location?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several books located in a system directory that contain several images.  Some images are repeated in the books so, I have one location (another system directory) where I import them  as required into each of the books.  I have been asked to move these books from the system directory to my local hardrive.   I have copied all the books, image files etc, exactly as they were in the system directory into the new location on my hardrive.  When I open the books in the new location on my hardrive, FrameMaker cannot locate these images and I get a  Missing File error and dialog screen .   When I import the images I always select Copy into document -   I am wondering why FrameMaker cannot find the image even though the directory structure has been copied exactly and also because I copied the image - I did not reference them?    I have attached a screen capture of the Missing File error I am getting.missing file screen.png

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

> I have copied all the books, image files etc, exactly as they were in the system directory into the new location ...

Open them at the old (source) location and re-save them to the new location. FM updates the paths when you do that.

What platform are you on?

Are the missing imports all in the same directory?

Unix FM is bad about learning new paths. Windows FM seems to learn.

But if the paths by import vary, the platform won't matter much.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your original folder structure, FM inserted the links as absolute references (you may have crossed the root of a drive or had the UNC path specified). Just point FM to the current location and it will update your files accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that I can point FM to new location but I have many images and I am getting Missing file errors for them all making it necessary to re-point each image individually.  Do you know of a way to run something in FM that will point all the missing files to the new location all at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I have copied all the books, image files etc, exactly as they were in the system directory into the new location ...

Open them at the old (source) location and re-save them to the new location. FM updates the paths when you do that.

What platform are you on?

Are the missing imports all in the same directory?

Unix FM is bad about learning new paths. Windows FM seems to learn.

But if the paths by import vary, the platform won't matter much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say which version of FrameMaker you have, but if it's FM 10

or 11, you can run the book packager script to move everything at once

(book, files, graphics, insets, etc.). Then it will all be in the right

place with FrameMaker knowing where to look. Find it on this page:

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2011/07/create-a-book-packager-using-extendscript.html

NOTE: The download link for the script is buried part way down the page

in the Code Snippets section where it says "script attached, original

script can be found here." Be sure to click the "script attached" link,

not the "original script" link, as, if I recall correctly, the original

script had a bug. I don't know why they didn't remove it when it was

fixed. Or just use this link to get the script:

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/files/2011/07/Archive-v2.zip

I don't understand why FrameMaker would even be looking for images if

you copied them into the document. It should only be looking if they are

referenced. So I'll be they are not copied into the document like you

think. Most consider it a best practice to reference the graphics

anyway. It keeps file sizes way down, reduces loading times, and makes

it easier to edit a graphic and have it update in all the places it is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry I am using FM 10 and in a Windows environment.   I will try the packager script suggestion as when I used Error 7103's suggestion, it worked but although I could access all the FM document chapters from the book file, the individual document chapters were not listed with the book file.    In reference to your last comment,  I also can't understand why FM is looking for the images when I just copied them - so must be something going on behind the scene.    I do understand the reason for referencing the graphics but I rarely change them, just refer to them for other documents - food for thought though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's just possible that you once referenced a graphic, even by accident – and FM then diligently remembered that as your preferred option: I've been bitten by that a couple of times when for some now-forgotten reason I needed to paste in a graphic. If there's a chance this may have happened, try generating a List of References for imported graphics to get an overview :-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines