Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

a black sheep in my flock of files?

Advisor ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 10, fully patched, Windows 7 …

I have a book containing a dozen or so files which I prepared by adding MML tags to a Word source and saving out as text. They're all very much of a muchness, and most of them include a couple of referenced .eps graphics.

Saving the book to .pdf threw up the message 'may happen with FM 6.0 or earlier', so for form's sake I ran Format > Optimise. This cleared things up, and generated a .pdf with all the book content but a sniffy message about just one of the files. When I save that specific file I get a moral/societal observation "File has Bad Type". What does this mean, and what can I do to reform the type in question?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

Was this FM or Acrobat that gave you the "File has Bad Type" error?

If this came from Acrobat, first try turning off all graphics (esc v v) in the miscreant file and create a PDF again. If this opens properly, then you have to track down a bad graphic.If it still errors, then try a MIFwash.

Otherwise, I'm at a bit of a loss. An Internet search on th error string using various search engines only returns this post. Was there any additional content/information with the error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thay called them IEF in my motor-cycling days, Intermittent Electrical Faults – almost impossible to diagnose. In the meantime, I MIFwashed the suspect and was rewarded with a "colour separation out of range in MIF file". Deleted the offending line in the .mif, and life seems to be back to normal.

Thanks for taking the time to check for other answers! and I'll remember the esc v v trick for future, erm, challenges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines