Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 11 uninstalls Acrobat Pro

Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed FrameMaker 11, it uninstalled my Acrobat Pro 8 without asking. Now I get the error message "Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed. Setup will now terminate."

Is there a workaround for this? I called tech support and they could not help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’ve got a standalone copy of FM (not part of TCS), then it ships with a “headless” version of Acrobat. The installer isn’t very good at detecting existing Acrobat versions (as you’ve found). You need to uninstall FM, uninstall Acrobat; reinstall Acrobat, then reinstall FM using the “Custom” install option – make sure that the Distiller portion isn’t installed the second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a standalone version of FM, VLK. I did several installations, none of them gave a prompt to do a custom installation. They all uninstalled Acrobat 8 Pro, but one person had Acrobat 9 and it did not uninstall 9. I found that after installing FM 11, I could go into the control panel and uninstall the PDF creation module that FM installed -the headless version-, then I could reinstall Acrobat 8.Quite a hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I’m thinking of the installer screen that comes with TCS – there you can pick & choose which components you want to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Fm11 setup screen first asks you to click on the Product name to customize:

FM11_install.png

When you follow (the somewhat obtuse) instrucions, then you get the option to not install the PDF Creator add-on.

FM11_Install_PDF_creator.png

Just uncheck the "Adobe PDF Creation Add-on" to prevent FM from touching any existing Acrobat installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just KNEW I wasn’t hallucinating ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines