• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improve Table Shading Preview Onscreen

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2013 Dec 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to improve the onscreen preview for tables with fill or shading set to less than 100%? I have a corporate template for a long user manual. Their warning/caution tables have a 30% fill of a pantone color to achieve their shading effect. The 30% (or any %) makes the shading appear like a dot pattern. That pattern makes it very hard to read the content in the cell (only onscreen preview -- PDF or printed output is find).

I am in FrameMaker 11.02.384, Windows.

I have searched Google and this forum for information or advice, but have come up empty.

If I can't get it, or if there is no workaround, I'll try to find a gray that matches this level of tint/color at a 100% shading value.

ITableSample_FM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the color need to be visible to a print shop as a named Pantone color? Library color names do survive into Ps output (dunno about PDF). User defined names might, but won't be in the print shop's library.

If color control by name is not required ...

Define a new color which, at 100% tint, is actually 30% of that color.

For example, Frame says that Pantone 329 CVC is

100%C 0%M 47%Y 47%K

Edit the name in View > Color > Definitions to:

Pantone 329 CVC 30%

30%C 0%M 14.1%Y 14.1%K

[ Add ]

Use it at 100%.

If you do need color management of user defined CMYK colors, well, Frame isn't the ideal tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

If you want to be able to work easier with the shaded tables, use the Color Views to set the specific Pantone colour to be invisible in one of th color views (I would recommend view #6). Then you can easily toggle the shading off by using the shortcut <esc> v 6 and toggle the shading back on using <esc> v 1. The shortcuts work at the book level too for all files in the book. No need to tweak the colour.

If you still want to be able to see the colours, then Error's suggestion of using a custom 30% tint at 100% in the table cells will also work (however for Pantone Spot colors, just use the tint setting of the base colour and don't play with the CMYK values).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware of ability to make a color view invisible... will try that. The template is fixed by style guide... I'm bound by that to leave the colors alone.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RIley,

You will not be messing with the colours. Creating a tint of Spot colour is exactly what the 30% selection of the full colour in the table fill is supposed to do [it just hasn't been updated/fixed since the last century]. On output in the PDF, the 30% tinted spot colour will show (in the definitions) as a 30% tint of the Spot colour exactly the same way as the table fill 30%.

I would suggest that the style guide be amended to take this FM quirk into account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the suggestion, Arnis. I should have mentioned... the template (and style guide) already specify a spot color at 30%. I believe that is what is giving me the "grain" effect on the fill. It's 30% Pantone Cool Gray 7 CVU.

It's not my style guide (client work), but I will suggest it.

Who is Riley?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Chris,

Sorry, my bad. I was working in multiple windows and used the wrong name. My apologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines