• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export sound from Flash CC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years I've been using flash to generate animatics which I then import to After Effects to use as a base to build a project over.  The latest AE, however doesn't bring in sound with the SWF files, and the latest Flash doesn't export WAV (or any audio file).

I've managed to get some audio out by using export video - convert in media encoder, but the quality is terrible and completely out of sync with the original.

Is there some arcane method available that's not obvious?  Or has this functionality just been dropped from Flash?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Thanks guys! I fixed it in this instance by exporting a WAV from CS6 on my windows machine - in the future I'll definitely look into these other options.  Turns out exporting WAV isn't available in mac CS6 either!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In Flash Pro CC, we have dropped support for the following formats (Windows AVI(*.avi), QuickTime(*.mov), WAV Audio(*.wav)) via Export > Export Movie.

Can you share the source fla file and the exact steps which you followed to extract audio in Flash CC via AME. Since this issue is directly related to Adobe Media Encoder, we will try to reproduce this issue and escalate the issue to Adobe Media Encoder team.

Thanks,

Sridhar Elangovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem.  The "export video" function completely destroys the quality of the sound files embedded in my .fla document.  I have a voice professional recording, which in its raw format, sounds great.  After being processed through flash, it sounds like I'm talking in a bathtub, and there's a huge amount of crackling distortion.

Has there been any further progress on Aerobotnik's original comments?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have tried exporting our Fla movie which have sound embedded in the timeline using Export > Export Movie. But while tried to play the exported sound, it does not have any crackling distortion sound. Since you are facing some problem in this case, please share the source fla file which you are facing this problem. Please provide the exact steps which will help us to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Sridhar Elangovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This lack of functionality persists into Flash CC 2014- I can't figure out how to export sound out of a current project now either.

My workflow, for as far back as I can remember, has been to record my soundtracks, bring my audio samples into Flash, create my animation in Flash (often synched to my audio)- move sound around where I need to for timing, export a swf of the animation, export a high quality .wav of my edited soundtrack, and marry the two back together in AE for compositing, effects, and final rendering.

To me, exporting to wav was core functionality and essential to the stuff I've been doing for years. If there is a way to get an audio track out using the media encoder, can you please walk us through it? I've spent the last two hours trying to figure it out with no luck.

UPDATE: I ended up installing Flash CS6 from the CC-2014 installer. Luckily, we can open newer Flash files in older versions of Flash. I was easily able to export Quicktime audio. Solved my problem in about as much time as it took to download and install CS6. Why this essential feature was removed, I can only guess (Adobe's "war" with Apple, perhaps?).

Now for us CC subscribers, we just have to hope and pray that Adobe will never remove our access to CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and sorry I've been slow to respond, I've been busy with work.  I've made file to demonstrate the issues I've been experiencing using the export>video function.  I've eliminated Media Encoder from the process so that's unlikely to be the issue in this case.

Source file   -  Original audio  -   Exported .mov file  -   Extracted audio from .mov

It's easy to hear the difference between the original audio and the audio in the .mov file.  The second one is heavily compressed, which is fine but there's no way (I've found) to change the level of compression.

Next up is the sync issue.  Here's a screen grab comparing the waveform of the original audio with that of the .mov file exported from flash.

Screengrab

Even after nine frames there is a noticable difference.  This becomes even more pronounced when working with scenes of long durations.

To be fair, audio has never been Flash's strong point especially in .mov files but a consistent workaround was always to export a .wav file.  The inability to do that might be the final change that prevents flash from being useful to me .    I'm sure the way I work with Flash likely represents only a tiny fraction of the user base but it's still sad to see it move away from animation production.  Especially since there are some really nice changes in CC!

Cheers, Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sharing the file with the detailed notes. We are able to repdouce the issue with the file you have shared. We logged 2 internal bugs for the issues you reported above. Internal bug # 3595722 logged to track the difference in the output sound while export > export video. Internal bug # 3595727 logged to track the sound sync issue.

Thanks,

Sridhar Elangovan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sridhar, why do you no longer offer these export options? especially the audio export? i too have always used this to bring the audio into after effects when working on longer animations to correct sync issues and also cause i do additional special effects in AE. without this ability i too may need to look elsewhere for an animation program as this seriously hinders my workflow.

i also don't understand for the export video why it does not go straight to the Media encoder and instead has to write a huge MOV file first...this seems convoluted at best. i am not an engineer so i am sure you have your reasons but maybe in the future get designers into the process when you guys make these changes and definitely before stripping key features out of programs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with you,I used to do it the same way to guarantee the audio sync in my timeline then render on after effects, I don't know how I can do it now!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on EARTH would you get rid of ANY support for ANY format if it already exists? It certainly cant be to HELP us?!?!? WHY do you CONSTANT hamstring Flash worse and worse, crippling it with each 'update' and I use that term UPDATE loosely because what you're doing in reality is bringing it back to the old days of Future Splash! I truly do not understand it, you HAVE to see you're making it worse and worse with each iteration.

I rue the day Adobe bought Macromedia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's a way to request that the FUNCTIONALITY BE PUT BACK IN, I'd like to put my signature on that petition.

One of Flash's greatest strengths is how infinitely customizable it is (or was...thanks).

Removing stuff like this and bundling it into Media Encoder doesn't help anybody who is streamlining a production process around your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to extract the audio from Flash CC2014 by making a copy of the Flash file and changing .ai to .zip then extracting the files. What a pain. Makes no sense to remove wav support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you need to convert swfs to other formats I find that Swivel is the best... http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1331054

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I made a JSFL command that exports sound from the Library.

It takes advantage of this:
Adobe Flash Professional * soundItem.exportToFile()

Works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also disappointed to find that exporting WAV has been removed. I often have swfs with audio tracks composed of several files in a sequence.  Looks like I'm gonna install CS6 to get this functionality back.....  this was a core feature for me, I don't understand why on earth you would drop support for it if it was already working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the publishing settings for sound to Raw, and export Video to get perfect frame rate animation, and perfect quality sound. Just make sure not to have Adobe Media Encoder convert the file after it's exported. I use QuickTime Player to export the movie sound track, but it's likely that audio editors will be able to open the video file and get at just the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are JSFL snippets to do exactly this.

Do a cursory search and, I'm positive you can find something.

If you run into trouble, send me a message and, I'll hook you up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys! I fixed it in this instance by exporting a WAV from CS6 on my windows machine - in the future I'll definitely look into these other options.  Turns out exporting WAV isn't available in mac CS6 either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did end up finding a JSFL snippet, but it was hard to find and the one I found is a few years old.  I tested it and it works in CC 2014: Extract sounds and images from FLA in Flash CC with JSFL | khef.co

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this conversation, I've actually made a few sound export tools to grab things from the library and spit out the sound files.

You could extend this a little bit by making a jsx script to run in after effects which could read in the frame index of the Timeline and place your sound files in an After Effects comp that way.

If this is something you run into a lot, it might be worth a little time to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am STUNNED by this removal. I used export to WAV all the time. I will check into other programs now and move on from Adobe.

Was it such a burden of programming to carry over EXPORT AUDIO???

It's almost like some dude over at Adobe said... Nobody does this anymore. And checked the box because it was obsolete.

Meanwhile...

F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy for you that you have a reason to move on, but I'm curious what the use case is for exporting WAV, that exporting video doesn't give you? Also, how far back are we talking? I don't see any export to WAV in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently installed the new Animate -- I'd export WAVs to import into a sound program and mix and levels etc...

then import the wav into premiere etc...

I realize there's work arounds but it's one of those things that seems super unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still curious where the WAV export was. All sounds in an FLA were imported, can you not use the original files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create the entire file in Flash. Import sound effect and VO and all that and place it all along the timeline. When I exported the WAV it would give me the full audio put together into one file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines