Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation of Photoshop CS6 (Extended) on Case-Sensitive Drives

May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that under the "system requirements" the Adobe website says that you can't install PS CS6 (Extended) on case-sensitive drives (I'm using a MacBook Pro, OS X v. 10.7.4).  This seems to have been the case at least since CS5.

I didn't see this, and I bought (quite excitedly) the update from CS PS5 (Extended) to PS6.  I had NO PROBLEM installing PS5 on this drive. 

Of course, as other users have indicated, the installer refuses to let you install on a case-sensitive drive (e.g., no options to install on another disk).  There is also no mention that CS6 must be installed on the boot drive.

Requiring installation on the boot drive has serious implications for those of us who require case-sensitive drives for other work; I don't want to have to reboot from another drive when I use PS, and switch back and forth -- that's simply foolish.

From my point of view (as a user, granted), this is lazy programming, and this needs to be fixed ASAP.  At least in my case, I have a $400 lump of software just taking up space, when I want to be up to my eyeballs enjoying PS6 in all it's glory.

Outside an Adobe fix, I don't see a solution to this problem.  If I wipe my drive, format it as not case-sensitive, then I lose functionality for other critical work.  Further, I'm not sure that the process of  wiping the drive, formating it as non case-sensitive, and restoring everything from TimeMachine would even work (since the backup material is coming from a case-senstive drive and trying to go to a drive that is not case-sensitive).

The REALLY frustrating part is that I've installed Photoshop 3, 4, and 5 (and from much, much further back) on case-sensitive disks -- all with no problems.  It's only now that the issue smacks me in the face.

There's got to be a work-around, if not a "real" solution.

Whatever help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated; details can be sent to cdretk at gmail dot com.

I have hope, and I thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Now I've solved this (no thanks to Adobe, in whom I'm very disappointed).

In the past, when you wanted to install something on your Mac, you'd simply copy a folder to your Applications directory.

As Photoshop (among other programs) has gotten more complicated, it's decided that it needs to install things in the various system directories and potentially in your user directory.

Herein lies the issue (and the solution, in this case).  My user directory is on the drive that is case-sensitive.  I don't

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been discussed ad nauseum, previously, in this forum. Look it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw it discussed previously, but none of the discussions involved a case in which the user has sucessfully installed CS PS5 Extended on the case-sensitive drive in question.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I did do my "homework" before posting.  I was hoping for an Adobe response that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say Photoshop 3, 4, 5, you do NOT mean CS3(Ps10), CS4, CS5, but the versions for Power PC, right?

Those have been compiled with other tools than Apple's Xcode, and it seems that it is responsible for the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  I'm not sure when I ended up with an Intel machine, but I certainly had the Intel version of CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We keep working with Apple to resolve the tools issues, but it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you're still working on it - that's great.  It does not explain why installation worked on this drive for CS5 and not for CS6.  It turns out that this boot drive is NOT case-sensitive; it is "Journaled HFS+" directly from the System Information panel (Serial ATA tab) from "About this Mac."

This means that while the idea of installing on a case-sensitive drive may have been "discussed to death," this presents a different problem that is unresolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps then, after all of the above is said and done, you can define your observation that "the installer refuses to let you install on a case-sensitive drive" a little better.  Maybe the specific error messages, logs, etc. will lead someone to be able to tell you what's wrong.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the error message that was thrown (I have no logs or anything else), I'm not sure I could have stated it more clearly.  Trying to install again, the specific error reads as follows:

[Red triangle with an exclamation point inside]  We've encountered the following issues

Installation on case-sensitive volumes is not supported.  Please chose a different volume for installation.

The only choice is "Quit" (that's the only button showing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess then it's up to Chris or someone from Adobe to ask you for the specific log files that elucidate what's happened, since you don't think the drive is case-sensitive.

Is there anything you've done that's special to the drive(s) on your MacBook?  Is any other drive case-sensitive?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a second internal drive that is case-sensitive, but I'm not sure why that would matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, just to be clear, the second (case-sensitive) drive is NOT the boot drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I've solved this (no thanks to Adobe, in whom I'm very disappointed).

In the past, when you wanted to install something on your Mac, you'd simply copy a folder to your Applications directory.

As Photoshop (among other programs) has gotten more complicated, it's decided that it needs to install things in the various system directories and potentially in your user directory.

Herein lies the issue (and the solution, in this case).  My user directory is on the drive that is case-sensitive.  I don't know what Adobe needs to install there (since Photoshop is, after installation, available to all users), but that was the key.

SOLUTION:  Log in as another (administrator-enabled) user and install.  Bang - it works with no problems.

Yes, I still had to copy all of my plug-ins, etc. from PS5 by hand (and sort out the ones PS6 doesn't like - again by hand), but at least it's working.

Good software engineering practices dictate that installed software should PREFER case-sensitive drives, and not case-insensitive drives (think about the data). 

Good installation support (on the telephone) should at least suggest trying a different user account...

Adobe:  You owe me for my time on this one.  Where shall I send my bill?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even get a "Helpful" for suggesting it might be an issue with another drive?    LOL, don't worry about it, I'm just being a bit mischievous because it's the end of a long day.

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of that. I suppose since Apple is case-insensitive by default (not to mention Windows being case-insensitive), having a case-sensitive drive does mean you're kind of out of the mainstream.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...but not really out of the mainstream, right?

Software developers need case sensitivity (especially those who work in groups -- have you ever used "Subversion?").

Unix users need case sensitivity -- both developers and users (like me).

Web developers need case sensitivity (based on the servers they use).

There have been very long discussions about why case-sensitivity is "good" and "needed" (quick Google search will show you that), and, quite frankly, it's simply good software development practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Subversion in my business, where we develop on Windows machines.  I do have one engineer with an Apple, but he develops in a VMware virtual machine using Windows 7.  I'll have to ask him whether he ever retrieves files to his Mac outside the VM.

In any case , I don't find case insensitivity an issue.  I don't know how that would map to Apple systems, but as long as you don't try to put two files in the same folder with the same name (using different case) I don't see it as a problem.

I'm not arguing with you - if you need case sensitivity that's fine, but perhaps you might want to separate your server needs from your workstation, because like it or not, in today's world you're in the minority with case sensitivity enabled.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is a stale discussion but...

cdre-tk wrote:

...In the past, when you wanted to install something on your Mac, you'd simply copy a folder to your Applications directory.

As Photoshop (among other programs) has gotten more complicated, it's decided that it needs to install things in the various system directories...

How old is your perception of "in the past"?. Program installers from the early 1990s  would drop stuff all over the system, especially in the Extensions folder.

cdre-tk wrote:

...I don't know what Adobe needs to install there (since Photoshop is, after installation, available to all users), but that was the key...

Photoshop may be available to all users but each user has their own preferences that need to be written to their own user space. The fact that you don't know about this may give good cause for you to learn about your system  prior to telling developers what they should do.

Where should we send the bill for educating you about your system? 

From what I've read from this discussion, your issue involved a case sensitive drive being used for your main user account, even though your system drive was case-insensitive. If you created a fresh account for Photoshop, that account would have appeared on that case-insensitive system drive. So all that you have accomplished is a basic installation on a case-insensitive drive, as recommended by Adobe. Your "SOLUTION" was doing what Adobe requires and it is what every other Photoshop user does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installer not Case Sensitive, infringement of mac users rights

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DevZone.my wrote:

Installer not Case Sensitive, infringement of mac users rights

Can you spare a verb or at least post in your native language?

This forum is not restricted to 140 characters. This forum does not present any technical obstacle for you to fully form your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Login as another admin user and install: Doesn't work here.

Neighter on boot drive, nor on a case insentivive mounted drive.

(My machine: Mavericks, with case sensitive boot drive) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not support Case-Sensitive, Bad Product Adobe Quality. No need sale

Run Adobe on Parallels Desktop 7 *EPIC FAIL*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you install all Apple software on case sensitive drives, including Logic pro, or FCPx?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reverse engineering installer, install support Case Sensitive HFS+ (need gdb + hex editor)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it stunning that case sensitive drives are not supported.  They certainly were with CS5.  Is Apple backing away from the case sensitive, journaled partition - maybe backwards to something like DOS.  Hey - here's an idea how about 8.3 file names being required for CS7.

I also loved the blame on the Apple tools.  I have a hard time believe XCode requires case insensitive drives.  Sounds more like developer error to me.  Adobe - how about you folks just cowboy up and fix this debacle? 

Guess I'm staying on CS5.  What a pathetic effort.

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines