• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to show a path to the topic name in browser address bar?

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My employer has an online help system. Currently, the same URL shows in the browser's address bar no matter which topic you have selected in the help system. For example, the URL for the help system is:

http://www.helpsystem.com/help/welcome_to_help.htm

No matter where I am in the help system, that URL always shows up. If I need to refer someone else to a certain topic, I can't just send them a link. I have to tell the person where to drill down to it from the Table of Contents. I'd like to refer someone to a specific section, for example,

http://www.helpsystem.com/help/welcome_to_help.htm/projects

The person who created the help system said that RH centralizes the webskin in that address, which is also the starting topic. Calling the URL launches the webskin and TOC. He said that you can only make direct calls to a topic if you're willing to do this without a skin and TOC. Is this true? We have RH8. Does RH10 have more capabilities? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe something at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#email will help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dmagnum74,

This is a good question. There is a lot of good information at Peter's site, but  I cannot find anything that specifically addresses this. Was anyone more successful than me? Thanks.

nankinnankin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The address bar will always show the first URL used. It is the way tripane webhelp works regardless of the authoring tool used.

If you want the address bar to change I the new HTML5 layout layout in Rh10 would give you that. It does not use frames.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Peter says, this is the way WebHelp works because the topic is loaded in a frame. However, what do you want to accomplish with this? There are ways of retrieving the topic URL, but what problem do you want to solve?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

I want to be able to send a user a link to a specific topic so they can click that link and open the topic right up. I do not like the alternative where I have to give the user instructions on where to drill down in the help system to get the answer they are looking for.

nankinnankin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The options here should help you. http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#email

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response. There is a lot of really good information on this page. I am looking at the Navigation Pane section. None of those really seem to fit this situation.  In your February 15th message, you seemed to indicate that I would need RH10 with HTML5 to send a user a direct link to a help topic. I only have RH9. Am I out of luck? Thanks for any further help you can provide.

nankinnankin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the e-mail link methods. They should be exactly what you need.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh9 does not create HTML5 help which is what you need so sorry but yes you are out of luck as far as that solution is concerned.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

What are some of the best ways to retrieve a topic URL or to help someone else locate a topic URL using Robohelp 8 or 9? Are the email snippets described in http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#email the best method? I don't yet have Robohelp 10, but I'd consider upgrading if it enables users to just click a link that directly opens a topic. Right now, I just tell people how to navigate to a topic from the TOC (or they can use the index).

Thanks.

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donna

I already covered that Rh10 will give you that ability in post 3 in this thread. Your developers will have to change help calls so liaise with them first.

The methods that Willam has pointed to on my site are what people have posted over time. Whether or not they are technically the best scripts doesn't really matter. All that matters is "do they work?" If your requirement is for something not covered there, then specify the problem and then someone may be able to help.

@Willam If you know of any other methods, please do post them here.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a little confusion here: The methods on Peter's site work. When creating your output, create a mail link in the topics or the toolbar and use those to send a link to your users. You users can click the link and open the correct topic directly.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, William. I will try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how to email a direct link to a help topic, thanks to the good advice in this thread. However, if I want to create a link to a direct topic from a web page outside of the RoboHelp project, is that possible? How would I go about creating the web call for that? I now have RoboHelp 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippets on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thanks. I tested the solution on my computer and it works.

I'll type up an example just for other newbies to reference.

For example, I have an external .htm file  and I want to create a link from that to a topic named "Contact us" (contact_us.htm) within a Robohelp project's output. The start page of the RoboHelp project is http://www.company/help/introduction.htm.

The link in the external .htm is

<p class="link_para">

<font face="Segoe UI">

<a href=".. /help/introduction.htm#contact_us.htm">

<span style="font-size: 80%">Contact us.</span></a><span style="font-size: 80%">

</span></font>

So basically, using RH10, all you need to do is insert a # and the topic_name.htm after the help project's start page name in the URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp