• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing Size of PS file

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted PDF to PS using PDF to vector utility from verypdf.com. The file is fine, but size is quite big and printer taking much time for loading and printing.

Any idea that how could I reduce the size of this file . Font used is Zurich BT and is Must. or any other conversion tool that could make small files.

Here is my file original PDF File

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wjx4npcinua9s1/1.pdf

and converted PS can be downloaded from here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmnct398xua7ei1/1.PS

TOPICS
Programming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do you get similar results if you create PostScript from PDF using the free Adobe Reader?

And what makes you think that the file you currently are getting is too big given the PDF you have?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted the PDF to PostScript using various utilities. Here the file sizes (in bytes):

1. 1.PS (your original PostScript file)                 437068

2. 1.xpdf.ps (by xpdf from Foolabs.com)           419755

3. 1.pdf.ps (by Adobe reader 10.1.8)               1121831

4. 1.gs.ps (by Ghostscript 9.07, ps2write)        2975124

Your original PS file is by "VeryPDF PostScript Library" which seems to be based on a fairly recent version of Foolabs's xpdf suite.

As you can see, these two are the smallest ones (by the way, the Ghostscript generated file can be reduced to 1397692 bytes when everything is compressed).

Helge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Thanks sir. But what is to be done next as my Printer becomes slow using such huge files.

I need to have PS files as I need Duplex Printing and Tray switching, the commands which i include in PS files.

Alternatively is there any way that I could include Duplex Printing and Tray switching commands in PDF Stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file sizes listed in Helge's reply to your post seem reasonably small, how are you transmitting them to the printer, what kind of printer is it and how much time does it take to transmit and then to print?

How small and how fast do you need it to be?

"Slow" is a relative term, so I'm asking the previous questions to help qualify, for us, what you mean and what your target is.

I noticed that in the PS version of the file, the type had all been converted to outlines though the fonts were still included in the file (you don't need both), but in the PDF version the type was not converted to outlines. Also, the icons and logos were images and if you have the option to replace them with vectors instead, that probably could be done in a way that would reduce the file size - not sure if it would print any faster (something for Adobe staff to weigh in on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

I looked at the PDF file. Nothing particularly unusual about it.

I tried printing it directly from Acrobat Pro 11.0.5 to a Xerox Phaser 6180 printer (Adobe PostScript 3 and a relatively slow printer for personal and small office use). It spooled in 2 seconds and transmitted and printed within 10 seconds.

Acrobat allowed me to specify duplexing and which tray to pull from. Adobe Reader provides those options as well. I did print duplex!

Given this performance, what problem are you really trying to solve? What type of printer are you using?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines