• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't delete or move PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobate Pro version 9.5.1 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Once I have created a PDF, I find I am unable to move or delete the file. If I reboot the machine, I can delete or move the file, but as soon as I open a PDF, the problem is back until I reboot again.

It appears others have had the same problem, but I don't see any solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TIA,

Joe Parsons

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Joe,

A few questions for you:

• Where on your hard drive are you saving the file to? 
  • Does the problem occur if you save to other locations on the hard drive? 
  • Has this ever worked for you?  If so, what changed?

Kind regards,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is on my desktop (C:\Users\Joe Parsons\Desktop). Files saved to different locations behave the same way. Trying to open a PDF on that machine using another machine on the network, users cannot save using the same name.

I can move or delete files after rebooting the machine, but once I have opened any PDF, the problem returns.

Thanks for replying. I am at my wit's end here!

Joe Parsons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that no parts of AA are left running after you close it. If AA still has a running part, it may not have released the file back to Windows. Of course, it may be an issue with the 64-bit OS which I am not very familiar with, other than it has caused a lot of different problems for folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone to the task manager to make sure there are no running processes related to Acrobat. As far as I can tell, I have terminated all of them, but the problem persists.

Thanks for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program do you use for moving or deleting the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable Preview in Windows Explorer or use a other File Manager Program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled preview. I am pretty sure the PDF files are somehow reserved, and that is why they can't be moved or deleted. If I reboot, I can move or delete them--until I launch Acrobat, then the prblem is back until I rebott again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using this program called "Unlocker", available here:

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

It allows you to find out which application has a "lock" on a file and even

unlock it or kill the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlocker was my workaround for 12 months but it will only delete files on your own drive, it will not delete .pdf files on a server unless you are an administrator on that server.

Try instead:

Search for AcroRd32.exe, probably in C:\Program Files(x86)\Adbobe\Acrobat11.0\Acrobat or similar depending on your version.

Rename AcroRd32.exe to AcroRd32.exe.txt

Instant fix.  Works at least in X, XI and DC.  Everything else on Acrobat works just fine afterwards.  If it doesn't just remove the .txt suffix.

So. Adobe, it was not MS, and you could have saved the Adobe community thousands of hours if you had just taken us seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can check the process which has locked the file by using a utility "handle.exe", you can download it free from : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655

Open this exe in command prompt and give the filename as parameter e.g 

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\ handle.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\xyz.pdf"

Now it will list the procees which has handle of the file. Try killing the process and then deleting or moving the file. But this is not the right solution to kill the process everytime. I am interesting in knowing that which process is locking the file. If possible, please share the file.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem now Since late December 2013 into Jan 2014.

My pdf manuals on our network server cannot be deleted or renamed.

I tried logging into the server itself so its not just my laptop.

At first I noticed I could not save a new pdf conversion from Word 2010 (using Acrobat pro XI) with the same name.

So I used a new name "xxxxlatestlatest.pdf"

Then I could not save to that either but I found I could save with the original name, so now I have a new file and cannot delete the strange one.

I ran handle.exe and it says process iD 4  system    so that does not really help does it?

It sounds like the entire windows server file system has a lock on it.

How do release the file without killing the entire system???

signed, very frustrated/Annoyed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still cannot remove this file- Anyone know what the problem is.

Maybe I should try that de-locker tool someone mentioned.

Will that work on the server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I found a way to delete it, not the best though.

1) Open the pdf file you are trying to delete

2). Ctrl-Q to exit pdf reader

3). delete

It worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The open the file and then quitting Adobe Reader then deleting the file worked for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off - I appreciate all who offer workarounds - but he issue is - just that... they are workarounds...

When the hell is adobe going to fix this issue?  I can preview ANY OTHER file type in windows explorer preview pane, and from there do ANYTHING I want with it.

Word docs, excel sheets, mp3's, jpg's.. etc etc etc - the preview handlers do not LOCK THE FILE.

OTHER FREE PDF software also allows previews - without locking the file - rendering it "in use".

[and yes been there done that - multiple PDF apps - tired of having to specify freaking handlers; app defaults; etc; each time (one or all ) of the apps update (Foxit/Primo/Easy/DC/windows) - Adobe just MAKE IT WORK!]

So why then, does the company who CREATED THE FORMAT, can't make a preview handler that does not lock the F***ING file?

All I want to do is the following:

open explorer

browse through the list of PDF files in the preview pane

If I happen to see something in the preview pane that I want to delete...

Just let me press the F***ing delete key - without an "in use" error; "try again" or some other BS???

I have to close the preview pane, restart explorer, scroll to the file, and THEN I can delete it...

What a major F***ING PITA!!!

Come on man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is to use Acrobat DC, apparently, which doesn't bother to try to make a preview. Some have called this a cop out, but it certainly makes the problem go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test screen - statement is not true/not addressing the issue.

I have and use Acrobat DC. I am not talking about preview thumbnails (although that is a cop out too).  I am talking about the windows explorer preview pane.

If a file is highlighted in explorer, with preview pane on;  You can rename the file. You can copy the file. You CANNOT move the file. You CANNOT delete the file. "file in use". You can "try again" all day.

Only way to fix - turn off preview pane, restart windows explorer, then you can move or delete the file.

EXAMPLE: So, if I have a directory with 100 files, named img001.pdf ,002,003 etc; So lets say you need to see what they are; to sort, move, whatever.  Based upon content, some need to be moved to a folder, some just need to be deleted.

You either have to:

Leave the preview pane OFF, OPEN all the files to see the contents, then close acrobat, then move or delete.

OR

Use the preview pane to see the contents, but then you can't move or delete the file while it is active in the preview pane. turn off the pane, shut down explorer, restart explorer. NOW you can      move or delete the file.

It is ONLY the ADOBE PDF handler that holds/locks the file for a ridiculous amount of time, which is completely unnecessary FOR A PREVIEW. NO other handler does this, from MS to AUTODESK, to OTHER PDF apps. ONLY ADOBE.

MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE ADOBE IS SO FREAKING PARANOID ABOUT ACROBAT, AND THE NEED TO "CALL HOME" - WHAT SEEMS LIKE EVERY THIRD KEYSTROKE - THAT THEY ALSO FEEL THE NEED TO LOCK FILES IN PREVIEW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting because the preview pane was supposed to be removed in Acrobat DC. There have been complaints about the lack of preview. Do you see a preview of the PDF (first page) in Windows Explorer for new files? If so, I wonder if there is also an old copy of Acrobat or Reader on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes in the windows explorer preview pane - I can not only view the first page - but can all scroll through all pages if it is a multi page file... And nothing fancy here - straight up/stock windows explorer on Windows 10. No previous version of acrobat on here - fresh Adobe DC install - on a new windows 10 machine.

Preview pane itself works fine - I just can't do a damn thing with the files - if it is/was in (*) preview.  Simply turning off the preview pane does not unlock it either - need to exit explorer completely; restart; then I can do file actions.

(*) I say "is in" - but even if it WAS in preview (i.e. click 1st file, comes up in preview, move on to a 2nd file - 1st file is still locked [for god knows how long - not waiting more than 20-30 secs for a preview to unlock; faster to shut down and restart explorer.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note:::

To any Adobe admins that might possibly be looking in on this - I think it is disgusting that this issue has gone on for so long.  Do a search online - see what YOU get back as a result...  This ONE lonely little thread was started in MAY 2012.

DOES ADOBE SIMPLY NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER FEEDBACK; AND REPAIRING [WHAT MOST DEVELOPERS HAVE NO ISSUE WITH APPARENTLY]; A DECADE OLD ISSUE????

NEVERMIND THE CRAP CUSTOMER SERVICE; TAKING EXTRA SPACE AND RESOURCES ON THE SYSTEM WITH BLOATED CODE AND CONSTANTLY CALLING HOME...

NO WONDER ALL THESE LITTLE COMPANIES ARE CROPPING UP WITH ALTERNATIVES - YOU OBVIOUSLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT DEVELOPING (IN ANY USEFUL WAY) YOUR APPLICATION.  DC ADDED A HOST OF PRETTY LITTLE MENUS AND ICONS - TO WHICH - ONLY ADD STEPS TO THE WORK PROCESS - WHILE LEAVING DECADE OLD; MINOR; BUGS IN THE SYSTEM.

...AND THIS NEW TABBED WINDOW SH**; WITH NO APPARENT WAY TO VIEW TABS SIDE BY SIDE - F***ING SUCKS. JUST LET ME GO BACK TO OPENING EACH FILE IN IT'S OWN WINDOW! (RATHER THAN TAKING A (YET ANOTHER) EXTRA STEP TO OPEN FILES - THEN HAVE TO SEPARATE TABS OUT MANUALLY MYSELF).

(i.e. <shift+ctrl+s>  I don't want to "click to choose" a different folder - go STRAIGHT to a f***ing explorer save as dialog box.. why the extra steps all over the GD place?!?!?!?)

Think it is time to dump adobe - Primo is looking better and better every second.

That is if I had extra time to research the product - which I don't have - doing all this extra clicking around crap - to do the same f***ing tasks before all this 'dumbing down' with pretty little icons - of the product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in true adobe fashion - by telling it "like it is" above - bet I'll get banned from the forums...  If that is the case - Nice speaking with you all. Thanks for your help and input thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nyarch2 wrote:

...AND THIS NEW TABBED WINDOW SH**; WITH NO APPARENT WAY TO VIEW TABS SIDE BY SIDE - F***ING SUCKS. JUST LET ME GO BACK TO OPENING EACH FILE IN IT'S OWN WINDOW! (RATHER THAN TAKING A (YET ANOTHER) EXTRA STEP TO OPEN FILES - THEN HAVE TO SEPARATE TABS OUT MANUALLY MYSELF).

Many people wants this feature. You can disable this in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines