Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

create variable for RunningH/F page no.

Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can anyone help create variable for page number RunningH/F for every other page blank? I have created one but need a variable for the BLANK page number to be added automatically (like the current page number)!  I do not want to build a page number manually for each page simply because I can not get the blank page number to automatically be added incrementally.  They need to look like.......FO-1/(FO-2 blank), FO-3/(FO-4 blank), FO-5/(FO-6 blank), etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want odd-numbered pages (with content) to show a page number of:

"FO-"<$curpagenum>

and even numbered (blank) pages to to show a page number of:

"(FO-"<$curpagenum>" blank)"

if so, just format the Left and Right master page headers or footers as:

FO-#

and

(FO-# blank)

where "#" is the variable <$curpagenum>

How are you creating the blank pages?

A paragraph format named "Blank",

font color: invisible named color (controlled by Color Views)

pagination: top of left page

usually does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT EXACTLY, and herein lies the problem………..

The page number will always be visible on the right hand page, thus showing FO-1/(FO-2 blank). The next page (being left hand page) BLANK and will not have ANYTHING on it.

The next right hand page will have visible FO-3/(FO-4 blank)!

I cannot figure out how to automatically get the 2, 4, 6, etc. blank number to come in!!

Might the “marker” idea work? I don’t understand how to set it up or if I understand completely; hence, me being in a pickle and need help.

Thanks so very much for your response and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The page number will always be visible on the right hand page,
> thus showing FO-1/(FO-2 blank).  The next page (being left hand

> page) BLANK and will not have ANYTHING on it.

Ah. The challenge there is getting page P to to pick up the page number from page P+1. Frame doesn't make that easy to do, as

variable <$curpagenum> is only available for Master Pages, and not Body Pages, and

you can't Cross-Ref to an MP and get the correct pagenum, and

Running H/Fs only read from the current page, and not the next.

FM also doesn't support any math ops on entity numbers, alas, other than simple paranum expressions.

I'm not sure what Marker trick you had in mind, but it wouldn't be Frame if there were one way to solve a problem.

Offhand, I can mostly visualize a complex Cross-Ref / Running_H/F hack for this, but won't post it until we first see if some other contributors have more elegant solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assumption:

Each content page has something unique, that uses that same paragraph tag on each content page (my example assumes a Heading2).

You can run this test on a new, empty duplex document.

In your actual document, make your body text frames, at least for Right pages, one text line taller than they need to be. This holds an extra invisible bottom line on the content pages, used for Running H/F pickup.

1. Format Setups

View > Color > Definitions

Name: Invisible Content

Process

RGB 75 50 75 (or whatever you like)

Overprint

[Add]

View > Color > Views

Move "Invisible Content" to to "Normal:" for whatever View# you use for authoring (we use#6). Move it to "Invisible:" for all other view numbers.

[Set]

Click in a normal Body para somewhere

Format > Paragraph > Designer

Tag: ForceBlank

Commands: New Format

• Store in Catalog [_] Apply to Selection
  • Basic:

• Next Pgf Tag:
  • [Heading2]

Default Font:

Color: Invisible Content

Pagination: Top of Left Page

Numbering:

• Autonumber Format:
  • [FB after page: ]

[Update All]

Note: The autonum is not required, but if your ForceBlank paras don't have some unique content, they will be impossible to distinguish in the Xrefs dialog from NextPage paras.

Format > Paragraph > Designer

Tag: NextPage

Commands: New Format

• Store in Catalog [_] Apply to Selection
  • Basic:

• Next Pgf Tag:
  • [ForceBlank]

Default Font:

Color: Invisible Content

Pagination: Anywhere

Special > Cross Reference > Edit Format

Name: [<$pagenum> (only) ]

Def: [<$pagenum> ]

[Add]

View > Master Pages

Click in the header.

Special > Variable:

Running H/F 12

[Edit Definition]

change

paratag

to

NextPage

[Edit] [Done]

Display Master Page Right.

Click in header.

Type in:

This is page A. The next page is B.

Set A to variable <$curpagenum>

Set B to variable Running H/F 12

View > Body Pages

2. Create initial Body content instance

Create a Heading2 with some xyzzy content.

Start a new line.

Apply tag NextPage

Hit return, which will create a new page and an empty para of tag ForceBlank. This example assumes that NextPage will be the last para on every content page.

With cursor in para ForceBlank,

Special > Cross-Reference

Source Type: Paragraphs

[Heading2]

Paragraphs:

[ pick the xyzzy content ]

Reference:

[<$pagenum> (only)]

[Insert]

This makes this para unique in the Xref dialog's list, see we can Xref it by page#.

Go back to the previous page.

Click in the NextPage para.

Special > Cross-Reference

Source Type: Paragraphs

[ForceBlank]

Paragraphs: look for

[FB after page: 1]

Reference:

[<$pagenum> (only)]

[Insert]

This puts page number P+1 on page P, in the Flow_A text.

Edit > Update References

• All Cross-References
  • The header should now say:

This page is 1. The next page is 2.

QED

If your content page don't have unique para formats that always appear, like the HEading2 in this example, the ForceBlank para could just Xref to the preceding NextPage para, idoes exist on each preceding content page.

3. Create more instances.

You can now copy that NextPage/ForceBlank para pair to every body page, and update the Xrefs to each other. They won't need edits after that, even when pagination changes, and you'll never need to type in actual page numbers.

4. Rendering

For a book, in the book menu, select all component files.

View > Color > Views

Select the view number you use for various editions which do not display color "Invisible Content".

[Set]

Render. (Save-as..., Print, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, first step accomplished.

For the next step below……..I want to be sure I understood correctly……..

View > Color > Views

Move "Invisible Content" to to "Normal:" for whatever View# you use for authoring (we use#6). Move it to "Invisible:" for all other view numbers.

I performed this step accordingly:

1. In the “Define Color Views” I moved “Invisible Content” from the “Normal:” block to the “Invisible:” block after selecting “View 1” and each view through “View 5”

2. For “View 6” “Invisible Content” remains in “Normal:” block

Is this correct? How do I know which “View” is used for authoring here? I have NEVER toyed with this, I guess I’m somewhat of a beginner when it comes to all that Framemaker is capable of doing.

Thanks much,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't provide much help on what you would use Color Views (CV) for, much less what each view number might mean. And no, you can't name them in the app (at least in the FM7.1 we use).

CV is great for content that needs to (or at least can be) turned on and off without causing a reflow, such as the Invisible Content paras above. This is different than Condition Codes (CC), where reflow happens whether you want it or not, and Xrefs can easily get broken. We use CC where we want reflow when the content is switched on/off.

We use CV for rendering editions. Our current convention (and it's just a convention) is:

1. PDFs with visible navigation hypertext in the margins. Color "NavLink" on. Invisible, Masking and Reviewer off.
    2. Print editions with that Nav turned off. Invisible, Masking and Reviewer also off.
    3. {reserved, might be HTML5 or XML edition someday}
    4. {reserved, might be ebook edition someday}
    5. Reviewer edition, with NavLink and Reviewer on, Invisible & Masking off. Reviewer-on reveals draft state, timestamps, reviewer-only hints, etc.
    6. Authoring mode, with everything turned on.

So you'd author in, say, CV#6, so you can see all the meta-text, then switch to one or another CV# for rendering with the meta turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, did I do this part correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, treat FM's Color Views as you would a layer in other applications (like Illustrator, Photoshop). The visibility of the objects is tied in to the color attribute applied to the object. The Color Views let you set up to six different ones where each color can be independently set to show (Normal), clip out underlying colored objects (Cutout) or Invisible (i.e. it can not be seen nor will it print, but FM knows that the content is still there and can reference or link to it).

By default, most FM documents are set to be in Color View 1 and the View is a document level property (i.e. a template may set this to another View number).

You can easily toggle between views using the shortcut <esc> v #, where #=1 to 6. [bonus: <esc> v v toggles all graphics on/off] The keyboard shortcut also works at the book level to change the View in all files of the book in one quick keyboard shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

New Issue……when I “Update Book” the error log is the same ALL THE TIME! As I mentioned before I know nothing about the color stuff but, I am using simple Arial and Times New Roman for EVERYTHING and have checked these files that say my font is unavailable but, find nothing inconsistent with all other files nor do I find anything other than the arial and TNR!! What the heck is going on???

REALLY need to get this stuff ironed out before WEDNESDAY!!!!!

Thanks so much,

CherylAnn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the forum for “unavailable fonts” – there’s a number of posts that have troubleshooting guidelines for eliminating where these pesky fonts can hide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost forgot to send you the clip of my error log…………

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the Camera icon in the Web interface if you want to show us screenshots or error logs – no attachments are permitted in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK……..assuming I did the View>Color>Definitions correctly, I moved onto the next step but, once again, a snag. I performed the “Pagination: Top of Left Page” step and then the following was generated………..

What have I done wrong???

You are truly a gem to help me with this, I appreciate your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to post pictures? Use the Camera icon in the Web interface version of the forum..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I performed the “Pagination: Top of Left Page” step and then the following was generated…

Link is circular.

I didn't include all the [Apply] dialogs that pop up, and some ops probably do require that you be specifically in Body or Master Page mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH………am I working in the “Master Pages” or the “Body Pages” platform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK………I am ALMOST there! Starting from scratch, I got down to “Display Mater Page Right. Click in header. Type in:……”(see below in original message red text)!!!

This is where I am not clear at all………..do I type all that in one line exactly as you have it? Do I add returns? I the header you mentioned really supposed to be the footer where I want my page number to appear on the body page???

So sorry….consider me your challenge for the day! ;0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... see below in original message red text)!!!

??? I see no red text anywhere.

> ... do I type all that in one line exactly as you have it?

I did, into the default Header para type. it's just a demo, to show that the MP header can be made to show both the current page number, and any other arbitrary page number (in this case, the next page), by using a user-defined Running H/F variable to grab local page content that is actually an Xref to the away page ... with some tweaks to aid stewardship and presentation.

> ... header you mentioned really supposed to be the footer where I want my page number to appear on the body page???

Can be header or footer as long as it's a Background text frame on the Master Page: Right.

> ... consider me your challenge for the day! ;0)

Well, mine is winding down, so some of this may be left as homework for the student. It sounds like you have a bit to learn about paragraph formats, cross-references, cross-reference formats and variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I’m with you! I have much to learn and I will fight with this more tomorrow! Will try not to bother you too much but, I would REALLY like to get this little task accomplished! After this is done, the rest of the job is ho-hum!

Thanks so much and have a great evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines