• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 11, pictures don't stay within their anchored frames

Enthusiast ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently started experiencing a strange phenomenon. I put an image into an anchored frame on its own paragraph and set it to At Insertion Point.

In the past, if I wanted to hide part of the image, I resize the frame so that it is smaller than the image.

But recently, when I do that, the part of the picture that should have been hidden shows outside the frame, as shown in the example below. I want to hide the bottom part of the image, but it hangs out of the frame.

Does anyone know what to do to fix this?

Untitled-1.gif

I just printed the page, and it printed correctly with the bottom part of the image not showing. So this seems like a monitor or screen aberration.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I put an image into an anchored frame ...

Two conjectures (and there may be more):

1. The image isn't really in the Anchored Frame (AF).
  2. It's just an eggregious display artifact.

I can simulate this by repositioning an object in an AF, and failing to keep the sprite inside the frame. This causes the graphic to actually be on the page, and no longer part of Flow A. Even so, unless I also do a Send-to-Back, it ends up obviously on top of the frame line, unlike your screenshot. Chances are this isn't what you have.

What's the graphics file format?

Imported how?

Does screen refresh (Control-L) have any effect?

Does changing the zoom level have any effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good suggestions…

The image is really inside the frame. I think it  may be a display artifact because when I print, the pages look okay. Screen refresh has no effect. Zoom level has no effect. Graphic was pasted in.

I found that if I import and link the graphic rather than  pasting it, the problem goes away. However, for the particular project I'm working on, pasting is the most efficient workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Graphic was pasted in.

So if the original was brought by Copy-Into-Document, then the pastie will be as well.

Any idea what the original graphics file format was? When first pasted in? In what version of FM? On what platform?

I'm wondering if there's some chance here for graphics import filter problems. Do CID images get re-filtered? Just on document open? I don't know.

> I found that if I import and link the graphic rather than  pasting it, the problem goes away.

Import-by-Reference is all we do except for the most trivial FM graphics elements, so this may explain why I've never seen this. Import-by-Reference also has multiple advantages for document and image stewardship.

Framemaker certainly exhibits multiple often-annoying artifacts when working with images in anchored frames, but I've always found the AFs and any Graphics Frame inside an AF, to be quite reliable clipping paths in both preview and output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Graphics was a screen capture, so it came through pasteboard, not any particular file format.

FrameMaker 11 on Windows 7

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines