Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM10 crashes when saving book after update

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have seen this problem reported before and contacted Adobe Support for a solution. We were provided a workaround that is NOT efficient where we basically create the same book in a new folder; this works for a couple of saves and then we're back to crashes. We have over 20 FM users, and the problem seems to be spreading among several of us. I am very disappointed at the level of response. Last update I received from Support was that our FM book was passed to R&D. It has been at least 2 months since then, and I have not seen any resolution.

About a month ago, another person contacted me and asked me for a convenient time for a phone discussion. I have supplied several options and sent reminders, but I have not heard from anyone since then.

This is highly disappointing. I hope someone can take this issue seriously and help.

Thanks,

Hani Salloum

Director of Technical Publications

Mellanox Technologies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realize that this is a User-to-User forum, right? Unless you give us some more info, none of us here can help you. Are you completely patched up? What operating systems are you running that are experiencing the problem? What is the specific coding of the crash? What are you doing at the time? Can you reproduce the crash at will? Have you MIF-washed your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff, for your reply.

We are running on Windows 7 (SP1), 64-bit. The book consists of several chapters with conditional text. We use track text as well. We update the book and then try saving it, it crashes. Nothing special. We supplied the FM sources and they crashed exactly after doing the above on both FM10 and FM11, and repeatedly.

We were given the following workaround, which words for a couple of times and we're back to square 1. Obviously we can't keep working like this since it might fail one day and we're done for. We also tried running FM as admins. Nothing has helped. What is a MIF-wash and how can it help?

1.       Create new folder on desktop.

2.       Launch FM 10

3.       Create new book

4.       Save new book in new folder on desktop

5.       Close FM 10

6.       Copy “all framemaker 10 documents only(.doc) & .vsd .bmp .png images Microsoft .docx ” from the folder in which you sent to me.(do not copy Book(.book))

7.       Paste them in new folder

8.       Launch FM 10

9.       Open book

10.   Add all documents

11.   Select all documents

12.   Open all documents

13.   Click & select new book

14.   Update book

15.   Save book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

MIF wash means you save a file as MIF, open the MIF file and save it as binary FM file.

A MIF wash will remove inconsistencies in the FrameMaker file.

When I encounter similar crashes (FM 11, one or two specific books, every 3 days to some times a year) I do such a MIF wash with the book file itself.

In my case recreating the book did not help for long.

I think it has something to do with conditions and Track Text Edits.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Winfried. We tried saving the manual.book file as manual.mif. The we opened this manual.mif file, updated the book, saved all book files, then saved manual.mif and it did not crash.

We've noticed that we can't save the book.mif file back as .book.

So the question is whether we can work continue to work with manual.mif instead of manual.book? What is the difference? Do we lose anything?

Cheers,

Hani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hani,

After you opened the book MIF file you should save it as a binary book file again.

Note that at least with FM 11 FrameMaker keeps the MIF file open although the binary file is now there. This is a little confusing.

Close the MIF file and open the MIF washed binary book file instead. Then update your book.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Winfried. We will test this option and report back.

All the best,

Hani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you’ve got corrupted files within the book – probably from coming in from the Word docs. See this thread for MIF-washing - http://forums.adobe.com/message/3796709#3796709

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines