Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

step numbers don't reset to 1

Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This just started in one document.

My step numbers are not resetting. Usually, if I have a set of steps, then a new section with a heading tag like h1, h2, or h3, the next time I use my step paragraph tags, the steps start at 1. Now, after a new heading tag, the steps just keep incrementing. Not in the whole document, just parts.

I inherited this template. All steps are step1. The autonumber format for my step1 is S:< >< ><n+>\t

In a related problem, I use step2 for a, b, and c steps between the numbered steps. That tag is doing the same thing. In one section they go a, b, c. Two heading tags later, they go d, e, f. The autonumber format for my step2 is F:< >< >< ><a+>:

For troubleshooting, I've saved the file as MIF, and saved it back again. As Art suggested in another post,  I looked for a culprit in between the sets of steps and found nothing.

Thanks,
Carl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found part of the answer to my own question: The template is set up so that the h2 heading tag resets the numbered steps.

I still don't know how to reset the lettered steps when there are no h2's in between....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't know how to reset the lettered steps when there are no h2's in between

One approach is to put "invisible" numbering on a style that _does_ occur between the two ordered lists, even a plain paragraph. If you're using F:< >< >< ><a+>: for your lists, then set numbering for your plain paragraph to F:< >< >< >< =0>

Depending (as always!) on your content, I'd also be minded to use the same named counter, plus sufficient placeholders, for both levels of the multi-level lists.

An occasion, which I shall unhesitatingly seize, to say that FM's paradigm for and implementation of numbering is the bee's knees and immeasurably far ahead of anyone else's :-} I know of no other environment where setting up multi-level numbering is a positive pleasure …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds like your template was set up with an infered structure where the step2 level should only exist if there has been a h2 level inserted. Otherwise, the steps should be a step1 level.

Here are some references to FM's autonumbering schemes that use the Matrix method shown in your numbering examples. These should help you decipher how you need to set your autonumbering:

http://www.microtype.com/resources/articles/AUTONUM_DE.PDF

http://www.infocon.com/files/autonum.pdf

http://www.techcomplus.com/reference/autonumbering.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines