• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging content - single or merged book?

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a use case where I need to create a User Guide using unstructured FM9. Some of the content is already in two seperate distinct FM books each with their own cover page and TOC. Other content has yet to be created.

Is it better to have a single book and organise the content from the exisitng books into folders, or create a book for each of the existing and new sections and merge them into a parent book. I should add that I will be the only person adding / editing content. Thoughts? Best practice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a “book of folders” vs. “book of books” discussion Colum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly that Jeff. Just wondering if one method has any benefits over the other. As I'll be the only one changing the content I can't really see one has any advantage over the other. Also as I'll have to do some reorganisation of files from the different books, I'm thinking a single book of folders may be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve never really seen any discussion of the merits of one approach over the other – I use the Book of Books strategy because my content flows over to RH for WebHelp creation and it made the ToC structure relatively seamless. I think if I was including a variety of types of content, then the folder approach might seem more attractive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's what I thought. Thanks for the sanity check

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines