Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Remoting

Feb 22, 2007 10:12 AM

I have found the AMFPHP Remoting for Flash to be a nice alternate to Flash Remoting, especially because it's free! AMFPHP is extremely easy to use and is a nice tool that can be packaged in any product to be shipped. The really nice thing about it is that the server that it is to be run off of does not require any special software (just PHP and database software like MySQL). Therefore, it can run on pretty much any web hosting server! The web address of AMFPHP is http://amfphp.org.

29FIVE Designs
http://29fivedesigns.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2007 11:37 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    hi

i tried hi

i am having flash professionl 8 and PHP 5.0,apache 2.2 server, i tried flash remoting using AMFPHP 1.9 beta version but no values received from php and my flash output window is not showing any error.

i have kept the amfphp folder in htdocs which contains many folders like core,browser,services

i have kept the php file in services folder.

but its not working.

can u plz help.

thanks

bye.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2007 6:50 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    hi

thanks for your reply.

how can i know that the connection has established or not with HelloWorld.php

var service = new Service(gatewayUrl, null, "HelloWorld");
    var pc:PendingCall = service.say(sMessage);
    pc.responder = new RelayResponder(this, "handleSay", null);

can i trace anything with this code that connection established or not.

thanks

bye

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2007 11:36 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    hi

flash remoting with c++ (developed using unix )is possible ?

if not is there anyother way to call a c++ function from actionscript.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2007 4:30 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Hi everybody,

I've just recently hear about amfphp and want to give a try, but http://amfphp.org is dead. Anybody know something about the website? Is there any place where I can download amfphp and get the support during testing?

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2007 7:44 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Thanks for attempt to help 29FIVE Designs. I still can't access to AMFPHP.org, however I managed to get the package. Just wanted to look at official website and get some support there if need.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2007 10:51 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Anyone know the status of the remoting classes for Flash CS3?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2007 9:44 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Would love to know whether we'll be seeing an RDBMSResolver or alternative class introduced for CS3. How else to deserialize AMF packets?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2007 12:07 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Apparently no one thought they'd need remoting for cs3. I just wasted $1500 on CS3, remoting is all my company does. I can't even open files with as 2.0 in CS3 with flash remoting. I tried copying the folders to the new Adobe directory and no luck.

Coldfusion is 10x faster than PHP is why people use flash remoting with coldfusion. :)

Any work arounds yet or release date for remoting 9/as 3.0?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2007 1:37 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    I haven't tried it yet, but on second thought I'm guessing one could just set a datagrid dataProvider to the NetConnection result, and then work off of the datagrid, but you'd still be missing the deltaPackets updates....aw oh well. I can't find any info from Adobe regarding anything about data components / dataclasses for AS3/CS3

On another note, you can use AS2 remoting classes, but you have to add them to your Classes directory.

Check it out:

http://blog.vixiom.com/2007/04/17/actionscript-20-flash-remoting-with- flash-cs3/

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2007 6:51 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Come on Adobe, we need a NetConnection Debugger for Flash CS3. I can't make the move to CS3 without support for remoting. I use AMFPHP exclusively for remoting projects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2007 10:16 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    I too use Remoting extensively and feel I've just wasted the money to upgrade from 2004 pro to CS3. With the usual level of Actionscript support until Colin Moock brings out his book, I can't be confident enough to begin any new projects using the CS3 authoring environment.
    Also at times the netConnection Debugger has been a lifeline to me, where is it? A different thread questions Adobes committment to Remoting and I have to re-iterate those concerns. I've never used the data components to resolve returned data as I originally learnt to parse the data with AS, a process I've continued, so I'm a bit in the dark as to what else is missing. It seems that this new Authoring tool has been ill considered and rushed out assuming all will embrace AS3 immediately... it can never be that way.
    I wish I could get my money back!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2007 11:27 AM   in reply to Dave_Towers
    I to am moving over to CS3 and am extremely disappointed that flash remoting is not built into it... I mean really adobe!!! why leave it out??? in a hurry to make a release date? What about all those using adobe flash remoting products? are they out of luck as many of us amfphp users are?

I have copied over my classes, it things compile correctly, but nothing actually works right on some of my past projects... I really think adobe should have a representative release something on this topic, otherwise a lot of developers are wasting their money on the move.

Large projects require remoting for the most part!!!

argh...

by the way, I think I know this 29fivedesigns character... he has a cool flash remoting helpdesk, to bad he can't use adobe CS3!!!!!

Josh Jones
    www.levelfourstfront.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2007 2:45 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    *Everybody* who reads this and is wondering where the hell remoting is in CS3 (or you just want an answer to Adobes commitment to remoting) post in here. The reality is Flash 8 + AS 2.0 is *the* current tech. Developers are really starting to push it now because of player penetration. Getting people to move to CS3 + AS 3.0 is gonna be hard if there is to be no remoting. And this is the kind of thing that will put me off developing full sites in Flash in the future. Dropping things people have invested so much time in learning/developing, who have ongoing projects in, with no word of it's future. Flex doesn't fit the bill. Neither does ColdFusion. We need Flash Remoting!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2007 3:53 PM   in reply to yeeep
    Adobe, WTF, I spent a ton of $$ to ugrade to CS3 and get the developer tool box that doesn't even contain KTML which should have been the biggest piece of the toolbox in my and evedently a lot of other peoples opinions. Now I find out the CS3 doesn't work with remoting. Can you work a bit harder to find a way to screw the deveoplers out there. I have been using CF for over 10 years and over those years paying a bu?? load of cash to the various companies (Allaire, Macromedia, Adobe) to keep the tools up and feel like I get screwed for being loyal. Everywhere I read that there are a lot of developers out there that feel the same way. Designers don't seem to bothered and I can see why but come on this is BS to a big part of the market share. I go nothing against PHP but when Adobe puts out a piece of developer software like the Developer's tool box and half the tools are designed for PHP and not your own damn product ColdFusion don't you think you might be shooting yourself in the foot. make it work for both.

Now I shelf Flash CS3 because of its lack of remoting support. I will think long and hard before spending anymore $$ on a "new and better" (lol) tool from Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 2:17 AM   in reply to L4Development
    Originally posted by: levelfourdesigns
    I too am moving over to CS3 and am extremely disappointed that flash remoting is not built into it... I mean really adobe!!! why leave it out??? in a hurry to make a release date? What about all those using adobe flash remoting products? are they out of luck as many of us amfphp users are?

I have copied over my classes, it things compile correctly, but nothing actually works right on some of my past projects... I really think adobe should have a representative release something on this topic, otherwise a lot of developers are wasting their money on the move.

Large projects require remoting for the most part!!!

argh...

______________________________________________________________________ ____________

Ditto.

James Whitcraft
    www.flashstorefronts.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 8:29 AM   in reply to Bringhurst
    Remoting works just fine in AS3 guys....

...checkout your NetConnection class....

But yeah, the DataSet class, RDBMSResolver class haven't been refactored for AS3. Making your life of easily walking through the remoting results more difficult, as well as listening to changes in the data model. Have fun building it !!! or like me stick with AS2 for your data driven needs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2007 7:07 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Check the first news post on the top right here:

http://www.joshstrike.com/index3.html

I hope Adobe sorts us out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2007 8:14 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    I know there are a lot of people out there probably already saying this, but the fact is, remoting does not work like it should for a new version of flash here, or at a minimum, there is very little "adobe" documentation on getting to work correctly with CS3 as we are all use to.

I did get my extensive flash remoting system to compile correctly in CS3, obviously still using ActionScript 2.0 though. And it was just a matter of copying the mx classes folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Classes\mx

to

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes\mx

I was able to comile an extensive AMFPHP project, and also use ServiceCapture to track packets. I always hated the netconnection debugger they had anyway, but if you wanted that, my understanding is just view the netconnection SWF file and it works independently as well.

I hope that adobe does release some type of package of remoting tools like they have in the past however. We all know AS3 has built in flash remoting capabilities, but where is the other tools then? where are the "adobe" examples?

hope this helps someone though...

Josh Jones
    www.levelfourstorefront.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2007 12:40 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    Josh, what version of AMFPHP did you use? And did you change it for the CS3 compile?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2007 8:39 PM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    I am using the 1.2.5 version of amfphp, the one you can download right now. I didn't change anything to make it work, it just needed the classes. I just copied the folders from above and it worked for me.

You could also just open your file, go to publish settings, and point your flash actionscript classes to that folder as well.

I just don't understand why there is not a small remoting installation program from adobe though to do this for us AS2 folks...

Josh Jones

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2007 10:14 PM   in reply to L4Development
    Hi everybody,

Can anyone tell me what happened with www.amfphp.org? The old site seems dead and all I see now is page fulled with Google ads. Any ideas, info?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 6:49 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    I believe amfphp's name just expired and there was some discussion else where for some others who were willing to take it up. You can still find the files at sourceforge.net though.

Josh Jones

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 7:48 AM   in reply to japanmoran
    Check this article out.

http://www.oscartrelles.com/archives/as3_flash_remoting_example

Seems easy enough.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2007 9:16 AM   in reply to 29FIVE_Designs
    For those of you looking to move the Flash 8 Remoting Components and NetConnection Debugger into Flash CS3. I have posted on another thread the steps on how to set it up. This will allow you to work just as you did in Flash 8 and AS2 in Flash CS3 IDE. Otherwise, the remoting for Flash CS3 and AS3 is now built in.

You can view the steps here.
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1 5&catid=250&threadid=1264156&enterthread=y

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points