• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best way to add a different sized page into a chapter

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on FM 11 and need to add a 11" x 17" graphic in the middle of my chapter (on 8 1/2" x 11" portrait). This large graphic will be on a foldout page. What's the best way to do it? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Historically, you'd do those pages as a separate component file in the book, then render the whole book to PDF as if for the larger page size. You can set the Chapter-Number to not increment.

I don't know if newer versions of FM have any advanced capabilities with respect to varying page sizes.

As infrequently as I need to do it, inserting the odd-size pages by hand downstream in Acrobat Pro also works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still as Error mentions, FM only supports one physical page size per file. Therefore you need to split your file around the 11x17 insert and use the Book file to control the numbering. You may want to consider modifying your content flow so that the oversized inserts always go at the back of a chapter/section or are inserted as an appendix with all over-sized graphics in one location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You may want to consider ...

I actually go to some trouble to avoid uneven page sizes. Even if your in-house workflow supports printing such things, any convenience printing by end users is apt to have suboptimal results.

Typically, I'll split 11x17 content across forced-facing 8.5x11 pages, and usually show a bit more than 50% of each half for a bit of content overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on FM 11. My graphic is in the middle of chapter 1. I made another file for the foldout, chapter 1A, and split the existing chapter around the foldout chapter. Now I am trying to get the second part of the chapter, chapter 1B, to continue the paragraph numbering, but it has restarted. If I set the chapter to continue - it increments the chapter number to chapter 2, which I don't want. If I go to the sub-section tab of the numbering properties, the choices to continue from previous chapter are greyed out. What combination of settings do I need. Thank you for being patient with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to set the numbering properties from the file's menu or the book menu? (yes, you can set them in both places, and they can conflict).

I normally set them all in the component files, then set the book to Read From File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Book settings always trump file settings, so control the numbering at the book level. This is especially true if you re-use any of your files in other books.

1. You need to set the Chapter tab to "Use Same Number as Previous Chapter" (Section & Sub-section only work when you've groups and/or folders in your book structure - you probably don't need that).

FM11_chap_num.png

2. Then you need to set the Page numbering to continue from the previous file:

FM11_page_num.png

3. Then you need to set your Paragraph numbering to also continue (you may also need to set Footnotes and Table Footnotes to continue as well, if you use them):

FM11_para_num.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that worked perfectly. Thank you. I am so grateful to have this forum to help me through my learning curve. This forum is making me look very good to my peers who don't know FM. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines