• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open svg files

Enthusiast ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I have a 2008 iMac I've been using for a long time. I just bought a new 2013 iMac. I'm using Illustrator CS6 (via the cloud). I work for a company that has me download svg files. I normally open those using Illustrator (I am using the same version of Illustrator on both computers). When I used to open the svg files, I would get a message that says, "The document uses fonts or characters which are not available or are in a different format than originally specified." Below that it says, "Sans-serf: An unknown problem occured." But then I'd click "OK" and it would open just fine.

On my new iMac, when I double click on the same svg file, I get the message, "The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error. [CANT].

So... what can I do? It doesn't give me any options at all!

julie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

17.1 update is released today for Illustrator CC, this issue is fixed.

I validated the files provided by davidcorrelldesign and they are now opening.

Please update to 17.1 and see if this issue is reproducible.

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2013 Nov 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Inkscape, fix the files there before opening in AI.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same situation. I recently upgraded from CS5 to CS6 CC. In CS5, I could open SVGs without any trouble, but suddently in CC, I can't (same computer). Consideringi that SVG is one of the supported file-formats for AI, I don't really see adding another piece of software as a viable solution.

Adobe, is this a known bug? Is there a fix?

Computer: 2011 MacBook Pro

OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Adobe CS CC

Illustrator 17.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue, David. I, too, don't want to add more steps to my daily work load. I'd like to just open and convert the svg files as I've always been able to do.

I spent an hour or so on the phone with Adobe tech support on Friday. He was not able to solve my problem, so he escalated it to senior tech support agents... and I haven't heard from them yet. If I find anything out, I'll let you know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. It's good to know you were able to talk to someone, and that they're looking into it. Thanks again, and let us know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got a call back from a senior tech support guy. After much trial and error, he reported that he believes it's a bug in the new version of Illustrator and that my only solution is to keep my old computer with CS6 on it until they fix the bug. He said he'd call me if and when they found something out.

It's very frustrating, and the timing is terrible... this is on the heals of my rate increase (I had the Creative Cloud promotional discount last year that just ran out) and the  letter telling me my  credit card information had been comprisied. I'm not so happy with Adobe right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. More bad news from Adobe — shocker. I'd say let's hope they fix it soon, but Adobe has a terrible track record when it comes to fixing bugs. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into the same problem too: The operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [PGFp]

Any help would be much appreciated. This is extremely annoying.

My computer:

rMBP 13" late 2013

Mavericks

Adobe CC, Illustrator 17.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

17.1 update is released today for Illustrator CC, this issue is fixed.

I validated the files provided by davidcorrelldesign and they are now opening.

Please update to 17.1 and see if this issue is reproducible.

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own CS6. Will this issue be addressed in that version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated it and it did work! Thank you so much!!!!!

P.S. After I updated the program, I couldn't open it. It kept crashing. I finally just uninstalled... then reinstalled Illustrator... and then it worked fine. And it opens the SVG files. Whoo hoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us with CS6 (16.0.4), when will the fix be distributed for that version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BC Holmes,

Please provide more details on the exact issue that you have with CS6 to ShareWithAi@adobe.com

Please attach the svg files and other relevant information, os etc.

-Rama

Illustrator Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an important bug and some of us have paid several hundred dollars, very recently for CS6. Will Adobe please acknolwedge whether or not they will fix this severe bug in CS6? Or offer a free upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not an Illustrator user but I develop an application that generates SVGs, and many of my users edit these SVGs in Illustrator CS4, CS5, and CS6 on Mavericks. After receiving bug reports regarding the SVGs causing a CANT error in Illustrator, I performed some testing with Illustrator CS6 for Mac to see what was the problem.

I determined that my SVGs were correct and that Illustrator 16.0.4 on Mavericks mishandles the font-family attribute. In the current version, any unrecognized fonts (either generic or uninstalled fonts) anywhere in the font-family attribute cause the SVG file to not open in Illustrator, regardless of whether or not an installed font precedes them.

This is really unacceptable in the long-term, and I've filed a bug report with you guys, but I was hoping to get confirmation that the problem was being addressed and even an estimate of when a fix would be ready. Dealing with this bug is unnecessarily putting me and my users in a difficult position. If a modern web browser handled W3C's font specs this poorly, it would be completely unusable. I shouldn't be getting requests to add an "Illustrator compatibility mode" to accommodate a basic part of the SVG spec.

So is there a fix coming soon? I understand that older versions of Illustrator are unsupported, but this is a major bug for the still supported CS6 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any news on this? A fix or workaround available now that it is 2015..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Illustrator CS6 and recently encountered this issue. It says it cannot open the svg file for "unknown reasons", and gives you nowhere to go from there. There is workaround - although it is so silly that it's hard to believe Adobe hasn't addressed this issue. In my case, the problem was an unrecognized font. On a mac, you can open your svg file in textedit, then do a search for "font". When you find the name of the offending font - it was "sans-serif" in my case - do another search and replace using "arial", or any other font you like that is available within Illustrator. Choose replace all, then save the svg file. If the font was your only issue, it should now open in Illustrator with no problem, and you will find that all the text is now Arial, or whatever font you replaced with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, rzk688! In my case I opened the SVG in TextWrangler, found the name of the missing font, searched it out on the web, found out it's free, downloaded it and stuck it into my main Adobe apps fonts folder. Now the SVG opens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!!

I'm working with an app with multiple svg images...

I uninstall some fonts after my work was done. 

As soon as i reinstall the fonts,  illustrator open the svg again!

(sorry for my english)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am running adobe illustrator 17.1.

can create an svg by saving from illustrator as svg 1.1. specifically unselecting "preserve illustrator editing capabilities"  and saving the svg. cannot reopen the svg from illustrator. illustrator just crashes.

Process:         Adobe Illustrator [2478]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator

Identifier:      com.adobe.illustrator

Version:         17.1.0 (17.0.0)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [252]

Responsible:     Adobe Illustrator [2478]

User ID:         502

Date/Time:       2014-04-14 13:32:12.994 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Report Version:  11

Anonymous UUID:  1CF12335-9992-8525-CEF9-BEB54797DCA9

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:

-->

__TEXT                 0000000100000000-00000001014a9000 [ 20.7M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have Illustrator CC 18.1.1.

It can't open SVG files that it generated self. Message: "This SVG is invalid. Validate it before opening."

It can open SVG:s generated in CS5, but it destroys them too.

What should I do? It is the latest version.

Cheers:

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't import an .svg file that's been exported from Sketch to Illustrator CC 2017. I can import other kinds of .svg files, downloaded from open source sites for example, but not from Sketch. When I import an .svg item exported from Sketch, Illustrator 2017 freezes and crashes every time. Every single time. This is a crazy insane bug: I need a solid Sketch to Illustrator to After Effects workflow, and .EPS and .PDF files break when imported to Illustrator from Sketch. When Illustrator supported .svg imports from Sketch that used to be the best workflow, so I don't know what happened there. Please update this bug with a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jocelyng87284714 schrieb:

I can't import an .svg file that's been exported from Sketch to Illustrator CC 2017. I can import other kinds of .svg files, downloaded from open source sites for example, but not from Sketch. When I import an .svg item exported from Sketch, Illustrator 2017 freezes and crashes every time. Every single time. This is a crazy insane bug: I need a solid Sketch to Illustrator to After Effects workflow, and .EPS and .PDF files break when imported to Illustrator from Sketch. When Illustrator supported .svg imports from Sketch that used to be the best workflow, so I don't know what happened there. Please update this bug with a fix.

Posting to an ages old thread that is marked solved and contains posts about a couple of different errors ...

Please create your own thread in order to not mess up everything. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated and tried again, and the opened with no trouble. Thanks for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines