• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get RoboHelp to recognize my FrameMaker installation?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Technical Suite 3.5 installed and several RoboHelp projects linked to FrameMaker books.

The Frame books were created in FrameMaker 10. I then upgraded to Technical Suite 3.5, then later upgraded my FrameMaker to 11.

All was well, RoboHelp continued to update from the Frame book files.

Then last week my hard disk crashed. IT provided a new disk, installed the Technical Suite and FrameMaker 11, but now when I open the RoboHelp projects and try to update them, RoboHelp displays an error message that says "Adobe FrameMaker 10 is not installed. No FrameMaker documents can be updated."

When I try to relink the project to FrameMaker (File | Link), I get a similar message:  "This operation cannot be completed without FrameMaker 10. Install FrameMaker 10 and try again."

How can I get RoboHelp to recognize my FrameMaker 11 installation, which it used to do prior to the crash and reinstallation?

Thanks.

Jerry

TOPICS
Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upgraded to FM11, was that part of TCS or a standalone version?

There's a dll that links FM and RH that normally gets installed & registered. That's what adds the RH menu to FM and offers the linking function in RH.

I'd make sure that you've got TCS4 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a standalone version of FrameMaker 11, but TCS seemed happy with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that won't work - you need the TCS4 flavour of FM to make linking work. Without it, all you can do is import FM content into RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, will upgrade if necessary, but...it worked fine before the hard disk crashed. 

RoboHelp 9, installed as part of Technical Suite 3.5, linked to files created in FrameMaker 10, still able to update them after upgrading to FrameMaker 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious, but why would you have done a point upgrade of FM when you had the suite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in retrospect it probably was not the wisest of decisions, but I had a need to be on Frame 11 in order to be compatible with a remote site. They don't use the Technical Suite, just FrameMaker.  So I requested an upgrade to Frame 11. 

But again, the Technical Suite seemed okay with the upgrade of a single component until now. There must be a way to get it back to a working state. I'm willing to concede that the shortest path to happiness may be an upgrade of the entire suite. But I'm in a time crunch---I need to update the files soon, for a product release.  Disk crash was at an inopportune time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a crunch, I would go into your existing RH project, export the settings (the .isf file) & set up a brand spanking new RH project, import the settings.isf, and then import your FM content. Check the Conversion Settings to ensure that stuff is coming over the way you want and tweak as needed. Generate the help you need & you're done (for now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also cannot get Robohelp to recognize our FrameMaker installation. 

We are using Robohelp 9  and Framemaker 11.

We are in the process of moving all of our Robohelp content to Framemaker, but our project team still needs CHM files for the next release or so.  So we figured we could move our content to Frame 11, then import the Frame content into Robohelp when we needed to generate the CHM files.

The process works great when we use RH 10 and Frame 11, but we get the following error when we use RH 9:

"This operation cannot be completed without FrameMaker.  Install FrameMaker and try again."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Frame 11 and RH 9, but am still getting the same error.  Buying a set of new Robohelp 10 licenses probably isn't an option.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're using the TCS versions of RH and FM, they behave as if the other app didn't exist (i.e. you're missing the "secret sauce" that binds them).

Also, why are you back-pedalling to RH9 from RH10? RH9 was designed to work with FM10 in TCS3 and doesn't know that FM11 exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have licenses for RH9, but not RH10. I used the 30-day free license to test the import procedure with RH10 and FM11. Which worked like a charm, BTW. ;+)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without TCS you can only import (not link) FM to RH, but as Arnis says, RH9 will only work with FM content up to FM10 (because it has no idea FM11 or higher exists).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I also have FrameMaker 7.2, and get the same message when I try to open a FM7.2 book. So, is FM7.2 is too old for RH9? (sheesh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe – I’ve only ever worked inside the TCS world, so I don’t know what’s going on. As an experiment, you could try saving as MIF and importing that (I think that’s an option offered)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting…that does get us past the error message, finally.

Okay, using RH9 and FM11:

Testing with MIF file: I might have done something wrong; I just skipped thru the formatting dialogs (they refer to Frame files), then got an error message saying "Import session failed. If this error continues please contact Technical Support." But something is being imported anyway. Hmmm…after over an hour, I just stopped the process.

Testing with PDF file: That option is definitely interesting, and I actually got some converted files! No TOC, but maybe this one's worth reading the docs! It's certainly worth further investigation. ;+)

Thanks, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Julia. After doing "due-diligence", I think we can state that it's the only way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?!? – wrong post Sue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ooops! Yup. Sorry.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines