Skip navigation

Flash player stutters for 1 second then continues normally

Dec 8, 2013 2:26 AM

Latest reply: Ting Ai, Apr 17, 2014 3:27 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2014 9:18 AM   in reply to kldoc

Note also AMD based quad cores as well. General problem seems to be the playback issue which occurs in all browsers, except for Chrome on Intel based systems, but the problem still occurs on AMD systems using Chrome as well. So safe to say not browser related, could be a Windows 8.1 problem, Microsoft points to flash player so who knows.

Adobe claims it is not them and Microsoft claims it's not them. Meanwhile the User base is stuck with poor playback on anything using flash player. Adobe bug reporting system also is out so cannot enter or vote on the issue as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 2:03 PM   in reply to RG3

Also not just windows 8.1 as my system is windows 7 64 bit and I get less than fluid playback with inconsistent juddering.

Anyway I tried latest version 12 tonight on firefox and it's still hopeless!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 2:47 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I am also having this issue.  It happens when I watch this flash video on 1080p but only randomly and with other 1080p flash videos as well.  It will slow down for .5 seconds then speed up and run fine.  Can happen 2-3x per playback or not at all.  My computer is completely up-to-date on drivers, windows update, firefox, flash (running the latest 12.x version), etc.  I am a network engineer / system administrator.  Usually, if you watch this video 3-5x, it will happen a couple times but you must pay attention. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWsK1ZFunA

I have a asus g750jx which is i7, gtx 770m running the newest whql 322.21 drivers, SSD, windows 8.1, 16gb of ram.  I can watch other non-flash video content in 1080p with -no- issues on a second screen while playing battlefield 4 in 1080p on ultra settings with no stutter.  Only flash videos are the problem.  I am also using firefox 26. 

I would investigate the guy who offered the fix to holding it to one processor, maybe this is the culprit?  If I had to guess, it's a bug either related to the latest WHQL nvidia drivers, Firefox, and/or Windows 8.1.  Since it appears to be running well on Chrome, I would check with them to see what if anything they tweaked to fix the issue on Windows 8.1 There is definitely a bug and I may switch to chrome if this isn't ironed out soon.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 4:38 AM   in reply to Jdota

Presume the Adobe guys are monitoring so would be good to have an update. The forum continues to swell with issues. Surely Adobe need to roll back to 11.5 code in the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2014 7:58 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Come on Adobe the silence is deafening. This needs to be addressed, the stutter, slow downs, choppiness - it's all happening to all sorts of people across different browsers (I haven't tried or want to be forced into using chrome) and is not specific to windows 8 or 8.1 as I see it happening on windows 7. You've been told the problems didn't seem to exist prior to version 11.6 so surely can be rectified. Your changes are the cause. It pretty much sounds like it maybe a processor problem which certainly sounds plausible to me since disabling hardware acceleration or switching to a different integrated gpu yields no improvement. This has gone on far too long

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2014 8:10 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Don't forget guys to keep voting on the bug so maybe Adobe will finally acknowledge and do something. I know their bug link has a tendency to go down and be unavailable but if you can get in do it

Here's the link again

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3692645

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 2:25 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Adobe - I think you need to provide us with an update. Please let us know what you are doing to fix this.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 2:40 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

As an update, I have confirmed how to "temporarily" fix the problem.  In windows 8.1, if I open task manager and then "go to details," there are two adobe flash processes open in firefox, a small and large one.  If you right click the large one and click "set affinity" and set it to one processor core, there will be 0 problems.  Please, fix this problem permanently. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 7:50 AM   in reply to Jdota

This is ridiculous Adobe. You need to acknowledge there are problems with your flash player and fix. So many people with issues. I haven't got time to extract all the discussions but here here are just a selection with problems all along similar lines. Basically your player has gone south since version 11.6 was introduced. There is this long discussion centering around difficulties on Windows 7/8 & 8.1 with stuttering polluting flash videos. I have problems with choppiness / lack of fluidity on Windows 7 - you must admit your updates since 11.5 are at fault. I suspect many people ignorant to computing and forums/bug reporting don't even find their way here to report bugs but I can tell you there is a pretty widespread problem. Most people / computers I come across with 'updated' flash versions have problems with the video.

Anyway here are some more forum posts I dug out:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1353491?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6016785#6016785

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5999790#5999790

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5996174#5996174

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5969561#5969561

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5952476#5952476

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5934160#5934160

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5897407#5897407

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5835101#5835101

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5835098#5835098

I also raised the bug

This has also had no response from adobe!

Thanks,

Wayne

ps. The firefox affinity fix didn't really help me. Maybe made a things a tiny bit less choppy but it's still not right.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 12:24 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Updated to version released today 12.0.0.44 and it's still no better. Come on adobe, what actions are you taking?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 8:53 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

The Flash video stuttering.  I've been frustrated about it for many months.  My Windows 8.1 computer: i7-3770 CPU and Radeon HD 8570 GPU. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 8:59 AM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Hi Mark KF8RV,

Can you add to the bugbase your comment too? Despite this discussion I think the bugbase may have more influence with Adobe.

Unfortunately Adobe still claim they cannot reproduce the bug which sounds frustrating and they logged it internally to see if management will allow for purchase of a new device. I still think they should just revert back to 11.5 code, call it version 12 or whatever then everyone will be happy again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 5:07 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I don't want to jinx myself, but the last update (12.0.0.44) seems to have practically eliminated the problem on my system.  The update before that (11.something) reduced the stuttering, but introduced a new problem - poor video quality with a lot of pixelization on certain objects like the video wasn't decoding correctly. Interestingly, this problem occurred in Chrome as well as in Waterfox.

With 12.0.0.44, I can watch videos in Waterfox with (fingers crossed) no noticable issues so far.  I haven't made any other changes to the system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 5:20 AM   in reply to FunkyBrewster

Is it only waterfox you see an improvement? Are the other browsers better too. On my machine I haven't tried waterfox but all the other browsers Firefox and IE are hopeless still with the new version

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 10:26 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I just checked waterfox. Although my system is windows 7 I kind of agree with fubkybrewster. Whilst it is not perfect it does appear to be so much better. I think this is a 64 bit browser. Adobe must fix for 32 bit browsers though seeing as they are much more widely used and add on compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 12:16 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I tried the latest Firefox Beta version along with Adobe Flash Beta and the stuttering continued to annoy me.  I've been putting up with the Flash video stuttering for many months every since changing from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.

Frustrated,

Mark KF8RV.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 12:41 PM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Try a 64 bit browser like water fox. It might be a bit better. Still no excuse though from Adobe, they need to sort this out. They have messed and fiddled with the code so much it creates problems . But they are all at it, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe. Too much change, so called upgrades and security fixes which create new bugs and frustrations. Go back to 11.5 code and make everyone happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 3:00 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I just wish Waterfox was Mozilla software.  Is Waterfox legit?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 2:58 AM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Apparently it's based on the Mozilla Firefox source code. I don't think it is Mozilla as such. It just seems a bit better though, not perfect but quite an improvement in fluidity. http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Still need Adobe to pull their finger out and sort the performance out for 32 bit browsers. I guess they still don't think there is a problem but enough people are having grief. I run the latest version on Firefox and obviously Chrome is auto updated with the pepper flash. Both run inconsistently but with an overall lack of fluidity really noticeable in sports with fast movement. I rolled back to 11.5 on IE9 as Flash runs well on this version and refuse to update flash until I see an improvement in Firefox and Chrome with the latest versions. Trouble is I am sure at some point a website will whinge that I haven't got the latest flash player and refuse to play the video. So staying on Flash 11.5 is not really an option.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 11:06 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

I wish there was something I could do in order to expedite a solution to the Adobe Flash problem.  Putting up with the stuttering for a few days is one thing but now I've been tolerating it for many months without a solid fix.  IE11 and Firefox stutter.  My preference is to avoid the use of Chrome.  Firefox is my main browser. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 6:38 PM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Tonight I turned off Flash's hardware acceleration and it still stutters. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 8:22 AM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Same for me. Disabling gpu acceleration makes no difference. I even have switchable gpu in my laptop and using each gpu shows no improvements. Basically adobe have ruined it, they need to listen and revert back to 11.5 code and then stop messing with it

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 7:14 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Because of the Flash stuttering on IE11 and Firefox, I'm now using Chrome which Chrome works fine with Adobe Flash. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 3:42 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

The recent improvement is in Waterfox and IE (32bit).  The stuttering is almost entirely gone.  However, in IE playing fullscreen Flash video causes CPU usage to spike to 67% (on a quad core i7 with 8 GB of RAM) which is ridiculous, and in Waterfox some sites, notably YouTube, have very blocky, low-res video even in 720p playback mode so I have to use IE for YouTube.  The YouTube video interface itself is also blocky and low-res like it isn't understanding the monitor resolution properly.  However, Hulu and Funimation are pretty good on Waterfox except for occaisional freezes that require re-loading the page.  The pixelization issue in Chrome is different, like the video isn't decoding properly and this only started with the last update.  So depending on what site I'm watching I use a different browser. The stuttering issue is by far the most annoying problem, though so I'm glad that's pretty much gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 4:08 AM   in reply to FunkyBrewster

It's still a joke that one has to use different browsers for different sites. Whilst waterfox seems much better for me chrome and Firefox are still lousy. Sometimes going full screen to embedded window and back and forth can improve but generally still poor. I wouldn't know if IE 32 bit is better as I have left that on 11.5 until I see improvements across the other browsers. I tend to use htnl5 now for youtube as it's far superior but things like itv player and bbc iplayer are still using flash and trying to watch football on these is terrible sometimes. I think adobe are really letting themselves down. Whatever they did to flash beyond approx 11.5 has pretty much ruined things. I still don't understand why they have to fiddle and mess with it all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 5:46 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

The Flash's stuttering with IE11 and Firefox continues in Windows 8.1.  Adobe must soon release a quality Flash (no stuttering) before I loose my mind using the Chrome browser. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 10:56 PM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Chrome stutters for me. Only immune browser seems to be waterfox though I am on windows 7. Adobe need to stop dragging their heels. This has gone on a long time now. The issue is single handedly making my computing a misery

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 8:28 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

The misery continues. Last night tried watching Man City-Barcelona match on ITV player which was a horrendous experience with the persistent stuttering. Gave me a headache. This has gone on too long now. Some people are reporting greater success with Chrome although I haven't noticed that. All browsers seem as bad as eachother (apart from Waterfox). I have kept Internet Explorer on 11.5 and this performs just fine.

I remember being on 11.2 for a long time and it performed fantastic. 11.5 pretty much fine, maybe the occasional extremely rare stutter but versions after that all bets are off. Each version since has suffered with varying degrees of stuttering. Switching gpu from dedicated to intergrated and vice versa doesn't help. Nor does disabling gpu acceleration when right clicking the video and restarting (if anything it gets a little bit worse). So that shows gpu drivers are not an issue as both are blighted. Sometimes switching back and forth between embedded window and full screen a few times or letting the video run a while may yield an improvement but overall it's very, very dissapointing. I think Adobe needs to ensure whatever fixes they may implement that Windows 7 doesn't get forgotten. Most posters are on 8.1 but many of us also run Windows 7 (8.1 just not to my taste with metro and loss of start menu etc.)

I do wonder though if they will ever fix it. Staying on 11.5 or whatever is all well and good but at some point websites will start complaining that the version of flash needs to be updated to a later version. When that happens that will be a huge problem.

When everything else runs fantastically, silverlight, HTML5, gaming, dvds, local video in windows media player, itunes, quicktime etc then clearly the problem is done to one thing and one thing only - Flash player.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 8:55 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Apparently version 12.0.0.70 got released today. I won't be able to test it until tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else updated. Is it still garbage?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 9:00 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

12.0.0.70 had been stuttering for me with Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 9:19 AM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Thanks Mark

Well that's as expected. Extremely dissapointed that a very real issue continues to fall under their radar!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 4:43 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Just had a chance to have a snoop at the new version myself. Can only re iterate mark's findings. It's still hopeless!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 2:34 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Come on Adobe, this is diabolical. This needs to be sorted out. Bugs have been raised. You have been told the problem injects itself at 11.6 yet still nothing is getting done

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 11:38 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Adobe.

The bug report is getting updated by various users but you are still doing nothing. You have quite a lot of info and even some dxdiag info on the bug id and on this discussion yet you are still either neglecting or unable to solve. Fact is everyone was happy upto 11.5. Then from 11.6 onwards it all started coming apart. Every version since then has stuttered with varying degrees of severity for many, many users. Regress the code, nobody will vilify you for taking a step backwards in order to go forwards. Don't become aloof and arrogant like the giants of Microsoft and apple.

Thanks

Wayne

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2014 1:42 PM   in reply to Scottyboy99

New version today and it's still lousy. At least it is on bbc iplayer trying to watch match of the day.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2014 11:55 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Flash still stutters.  Wish that Adobe would fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2014 9:45 AM   in reply to Mark KF8RV

Yep, it's painful. I forgot myself the other day and was watching some football on the BBC site and was almost euphoric when I was watching great, fluid video action. I thought there was a breakthrough. Until I then realised I was in Internet Explorer which I forgot that I installed 11.5 on due to my frustrations.

Moved over to Firefox where I have the latest version installed to watch the same action and it was choppy and pretty uncomfortable to watch.

I don't understand Adobe's silence and lack of action. We have raised a bugbase with plenty of comments and posts. This thread is large. I have referenced other threads in this same thread with similar complaints. Plenty of evidence pointing to version 11.6 and beyond creating the issues. Yet we hear nothing and see no action. I realise updates happen but I am pretty averse to them due to the amount of times they break things and create new bugs. Flash is a perfect example of this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 6:57 AM   in reply to Scottyboy99

Adobe, what on earth is wrong with you guys? This is extremely poor. Regress the code. If by chance you get it right, don't then diddle with it by doing pointless updates.

The sooner the majority of web video gets onto HTML5 so we can get away from Flash the better.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2014 8:13 AM   in reply to marbik

I can verify that there's something wrong with the multithreading in Flash Player with certain CPU's. It's even happening on my PC with an i5-4440 watching Youtube in Firefox. If Flash is using all four cores, and I'm watching a Youtube video, at some point  it will freeze for a second and drop around 30 frames. When I set the affinity for Flash to use only one core, the video plays smoothly with no hiccups in framerate.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 12:32 PM   in reply to mdanehy

Version 13 out today - And it's still doing it!!! Very frustrating

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status