Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH-generated WebHelp doesn't display some CSS styles

Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with RH for a while, including creating other WebHelp projects in RH that have been deployed without any problem. On my current RH9 project, however, some of the CSS styles are not being applied after the project output is moved to a network directory. When I open the project output on my Desktop, the styles all render correctly.

The styles in question aren't especially unusual:

DIV.text {

width: 640px;

padding-left: 25px;

padding-right: 25px;

padding-bottom: 25px;

margin-left: auto;

margin-right: auto;

background-color: #EDEBDE;

}

P.footer {

text-align: center;

font-size: 8pt;

line-height: 25%;

color: #A13619;

}

The kicker is that some of the styles ARE being applied (e.g., background image), while the 2 styles above are NOT being applied.

Some of the things I've already tried include:

- creating a new copy of the CSS file

- making sure the correct stylesheet is referenced in the HTML files

- making sure the correct stylesheet is referenced in the MasterPage

- making sure the correct CSS type is specified in the HTML files

- adding "!important" to the styles that aren't being applied

Has anyone seen / resolved issues like this before?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? More than a year and 200+ views later, but not a single suggestion for resolving this?

Thanks a lot Adobe and community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not trying to come off as disingenuous, but if it was THAT pressing of an issue, why are you just now checking the post?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Touche. Sorry for being cranky.

We muddled through the problem last time. But I can't recall how we fixed it. And now it's cropping up again. I came to the forum today and was actually surprised to find that I had already posted the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue is only on the network drive, can you tell us whether the issue is only on specific browsers or browser versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question, although the results are a little disturbing.

Where I work, we use IE8-10 and Chrome. The IE rendering is where the missing DIV styles are a problem. But I've just found that when I try to open the WebHelp index.htm file in Chrome, the browser gets hung up trying to load the page (flashing between showing all white and showing the top banner's background color).

Since IE is our browser-of-policy though, I'd rather not deal with the can of Chrome-worms just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are issues with displaying Chrome WebHelp locally that were fixed in RH10. So you're wise to park that one.

As for IE, RH9 was released before IE10 (and possibly IE9) was released. The result is that it is not supported. Patches were released for RH10 and above for IE10/11 which doesn't help you :-(. Can you attach an image of what you are seeing and tell us if this is consistent in the different IE versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our workstations here (I'm working on an Windows XP) are locked down rather tight, so all I can vouch for right now is IE8. I can check things out with other users on our team later, if need be.

How things look on my local drive:

GoodScreenshot.png

How things look on the network drive. The text is there, but the DIV color isn't providing the needed contrast:

BadScreenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution:

My supervisor and I huddled on the problem and eventually found these discussions:

I opened the IE Tools > Developer Tools panel, and used the Browser Mode settings to check the variations (IE7, IE8, and IE8 Compatibility). IE8 displayed all DIVs correctly, while the other two apparently severed the CSS file from the HTM file.

I had to do a mass find/replace, pasting another meta tag below the RH generated compatibility check:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />

And there was much rejoicing.

As an aside, the new meta tag did not work when I tried to apply it to the Master Page....which makes sense, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp