Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to local files - strange behavior

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

when I insert a link to a local file (using Insert > Hyperlink and then selecting "File" in the dropdown list), then Robohelp changes the absolute path to a relative path when saving the topic. Naturally this link does not work in a CHM.

I can resolve the issue in the HTML view by changing the path back to an absolute reference such as:

<a href="file://C:/Test/Hello_World.htm">

Such a link works in the CHM. However, I cannot get it to work in the TOC. I have checked the HHC and can verify that the path still is absolute there, yet the page does not open when clicked.

Any ideas?

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert

This is one purpose or reason you would use Baggage Files.

Add the file you are linking to as a Baggage File and link to the baggage file.

This may also have issues inside a CHM output though. But before we delve into the possible issues, give it a try and see if it works for you. It may work straight away. If so, that's great. But if you start seeing issues, post back for more help.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, regrettably in this case it really is required to link to a file outside of the CHM. Perhaps it is possible to place the file on a web location, at least that should work reliably as long as the user has web access.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so in this case you would want to use a HTML Help Shortcut control to open the file.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp