• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The 'Monitor Size' setting could do with an update

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the most important issue in the world, but I did notice that the 'Monitor Size' setting in Frame 11 (Edit > Preferences > Global > General > Monitor Size) hasn't changed for years.

It's used so that when you have your screen set to 100% zoom, it matches the real paper world in size.

But - it just has a drop-down for 'diagonal width" monitor size which assumes a 4:3 aspect ratio (as per old CRT monitors) and only goes up to 22".  I'm currently typing on a 23" 'widescreen' (16:9) monitor so I don't think that diagonal width drop-down is going to do much useful for me

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, this one of those magic dropdown lists where you can also directly enter your own value, e.g. 23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis Gubins wrote:

FWIW, this one of those magic dropdown lists where you can also directly enter your own value, e.g. 23.

IIRC, in the old days of CRT monitors, when pixel sizes varied model-to-model, brand-to-brand, the sure-fire way to get true on-screen dimensions was to experiment with settings and measure with a ruler. This may or may not apply to modern monitors.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I think TFT/LCD monitors are much the same, pixels sizes are generally slightly different.
The only real difference is that on CRTs you could adjust the display resolution 'to taste' and even play a bit with horizontal and vertical stretch, whereas on a LCD you really need to go for the native resolution, or they look like hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming back to this thread -

I have noticed that when I have my FrameMaker set to "100%" resolution, imported PNG graphics that are at 100% of their original size in an anchored frame currently look like hell. I need to zoom in to about 150% for them to look right (and even then, they seem to be a bit resized, with some of the stems of text getting resampled to 2 pixels wide instead of one, etc.)
I'm guessing this is a side-effect of this issue with the "Monitor Size" parameter assuming a 4:3 aspect ratio display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so you can! (I'm sure I used to know that )

Also, you can edit it directly in maker.ini
However, is it not assuming you're using a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor? So the dimensions it infers will be wrong for a 16:9 display...
And goodness knows what happens when I drag my Frame window from across my dual desktop, to a different sized monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I presume this setting wasn't fixed in FM12, and still assumes a quaint single-screen 4:3 aspect ratio.

Back when computers were slower, and I was doing a lot of work with relatively high res TIFFs, I figured out that if I set Monitor Size and zoom levels carefully, I could get specific zoom levels to render raster images at exact integer multiples or fractions of the video card's frame buffer raster dimensions. I found that this made a huge difference in display & refresh performance. At 1:1, doing so apparently eliminated resampling of the image data entirely. At integer 1:N or N:1, it apparently minimized the computation required, and minimized artifacts.

This sort of consideration is less important today, but it would be nice to get the parameter fixed, or at least publish a FAQ on how to game the 4:3 assumption for 16:9, 16:10 and 21:9 monitors, as well as arbitrary multi-monitor configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines