• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel Bender - slow performance and hell for existing users.

Advocate ,
Sep 18, 2013 Sep 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe team,

Since Adobe introudce AGAL and Stage3D - Pixel Bender each time show poor performance. My friend asked me - why. He has Pixel Bender based app for image distortion and latest Flash Player work with PB too slow. Exactly - as road to hell. During checking this issue I found that all my pixel bender app also show poor performance. Buch better was early. Half or year ago.

Will be this fixed or Pixel Bender not supported anymore?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Unfortunately, it was necessary from a security perspective.  We saw a number of papers on Just-In-Time compilers come out for other products over the last year that we concluded were relevant to the PixelBender JIT.  Rather than wait until an emergency to do something about it, we chose to take action to ensure that your customers and other end-users are protected. 

We performed a careful analysis and concluded that the mitigations necessary to defend against this emerging class of attacks woul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the change to Pixel Bender was necessary and permanent.  Developers whose applications are negatively impacted should migrate affected content to Stage3D, AGAL and Alchemy as appropriate. 

While we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience, we make every effort to avoid breaking backwards compatibility for Flash content.  This was a rare situation where the importance of the change outweighted the backwards compatibility issues, and we don't anticipate any similar changes in the foreseeable future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're kidding, right? I could understand if the performance is reduced by a maximum of 10-20%, but a hundreds of percent? This is really a very bad decision. You have made thousands of applications not working. I am losing patience with you. The only thing we can do is to stop paying you... and seriously thinking about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least you could update the Pixel Bender Technology page: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pixelbender.html to reflect the fact this functionality is now crippled.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No opportunity to continue to use it?

I admire Unity Technologies's foresight.

Often pain PK short-term pain, which is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, it was necessary from a security perspective.  We saw a number of papers on Just-In-Time compilers come out for other products over the last year that we concluded were relevant to the PixelBender JIT.  Rather than wait until an emergency to do something about it, we chose to take action to ensure that your customers and other end-users are protected. 

We performed a careful analysis and concluded that the mitigations necessary to defend against this emerging class of attacks would damage performance almost as badly as disabling the JIT, while still leaving possible attack surface.  We also determined that Alchemy and Stage3D are not vulnerable to these classes of attack, which is why we're recommending migrating your content to take advantage of them. 

While we would have really liked to pre-communicate the changes, we would inherently have to describe the potental attack vector publicly without shipping a fix.  We've experimented with pre-communicating security changes in the past, and found that attacks against those features were quickly developed and deployed by bad actors.

Backwards-compatibility is always a primary engineering goal, but the fact is that the threat landscape facing the web has evolved significantly over the last decade, and adapting to it frequently requires choosing one of a number of terrible available options.  While we understand that this is tremendously inconvenient for developers relying on PixelBender JIT for performance, we strongly believe that it was the best of the available options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it will be fixed, because of we use PixelBender for raycast in Realaxy project It helps to achive good performance with big houses like http://realaxy.com/plans/5273973ee4b0a6f90bb30775/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines